Why become a member? ×

I Just Plug In And Go! Rare?

spongebob

Been looking at a few You Tube clips of the Sansamp Tech 21, and been reading a fair bit on here about the amount of BC'ers who use such DI boxes.

I never realised they were so popular - I've always been a lead from bass to amp/cab, and tweaked the EQ on on there. No messing, just straight in!

Am I in the minority, just plugging and go? I don't know what it is, there always seems to be something holding me back when I look at such boxes, like it's a modern extra I don't really need. Both basses of mine are strung with flats, and the only tones people seem to video are the really bright, Geddy-esque types. So I'm not sure if they'd ever do anything for me.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in general or effects - but I kind of think it's a general point of confusion! :blush:

I'm 'old school', and have always plugged in straight to amp, all pots centred. Couldn't be simpler. I don't, however, play with 'grind' nor 'snarl' or whatever this week's term is. I only want the sound of my bass, with tons of headroom. I'd make a concession if going through FOH, but only so that the bass gets to the console. I've no use for a pre-amp of any sort, nor pedals. I'm not alone, of course, but my thrift is not commercially the most popular approach. Horses for courses, naturally. Others have differing needs or wants.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420653912' post='2651791']
My tone has a lot of life in it and is pretty lively, but I don't put anything in between
bass and amp.
[/quote]
I dont like anything at if possible, no matter how "true bypass" they are I always feel like its doing something to my sound.

That said I've ended up with this lot as my live setup for active Stingray, passive Jazz and double bass via its Fishman EQ unit!

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150105_201850_zps9am97dvx.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150105_201850_zps9am97dvx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I've used a plethora of boxes since I joined Basschat, some really good and some otherwise, but of course it depends a great deal on which amp you're using and what sound you want. I found I needed to use a SansAmp-type box with solid-state amps, but all-valve amps are generally plug and play. At the moment I'm plug and play with my Streamliner, but my Spector has a pretty aggressive preamp in it (loving my tone, by the way) so I'm not sure if that counts as plug and play or not. I certainly LOOK like I'm plug and play. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420654405' post='2651801']
I dont like anything at if possible, no matter how "true bypass" they are I always feel like its doing something to my sound.
[/quote]

Everything from the choice of pick or fingers to the room itself does something to your sound.

Although I have a largish rig - 2 cabs, 6U Rack amp, effects and wireless system, it takes me less than 5 minutes from getting the gear to the stage area to being ready to play. Stack the cabs and rack case. Plug in the cabs, plug in the mains, select the first patch on my Bass Pod and I'm ready to go. I never play with the EQ settings on my amp, it always sounds right, and besides trying to use a frequency domain solution (EQ) to fix a mostly time domain problem (room acoustics) is an exercise in futility.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1420655244' post='2651818']

Everything from the choice of pick or fingers to the room itself does something to your sound.

Although I have a largish rig - 2 cabs, 6U Rack amp, effects and wireless system, it takes me less than 5 minutes from getting the gear to the stage area to being ready to play. Stack the cabs and rack case. Plug in the cabs, plug in the mains, select the first patch on my Bass Pod and I'm ready to go. I never play with the EQ settings on my amp, it always sounds right, and besides trying to use a frequency domain solution (EQ) to fix a mostly time domain problem (room acoustics) is an exercise in futility.
[/quote]

This..

It I just plug in and go, but it's largely because all the knobs have been set prior.

For me it largely depends upon what music I am playing.

I prefer to just plug and play as it is less kit to carry and less to go wrong. With the two bands that I am in that are up and running I can do this - just fiddle with the eq and tubetone (it is a TC Electronic) to get the different sounds I need for the different covers we play.

I have a new band in the pipeline and I fear I will need to dust off my effects again as the variety of tunes we are looking at is a little more wide ranging as will be the variety of tones I will need top play them effectively.

When I played in a large functions band (anything from 6 to 13 on stage) I was very much plug in and play. I now play in a band with 1 guitarist, singer and drummer and the bass has to fill in a lot of sounds in the stuff we play. Consequently I have an ever expanding pedal board.

I wonder how many of your drummers change their snare, their tuning, or cymbals, or whole kits depending on the song being played. Or is it that all modern music has the same drum sound, by coincidence that of your drummer..? How do they (we..?) manage to 'plug and play' without all these gadgets and pedals..? They must be pretty good, no..? ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1420658051' post='2651869']
I wonder how many of your drummers change their snare, their tuning, or cymbals, or whole kits depending on the song being played. Or is it that all modern music has the same drum sound, by coincidence that of your drummer..? How do they (we..?) manage to 'plug and play' without all these gadgets and pedals..? They must be pretty good, no..? ;)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Erm....
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_233123_zps8enpi7hk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_233123_zps8enpi7hk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Pic from new years gig our drummer with his Jobeky electric drums, the world is always changing ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420658288' post='2651872']
Erm....

Pic from new years gig our drummer with his Jobeky electric drums, the world is always changing ;)
[/quote]

Yep... I'm definitely getting old...

Edited by Dad3353

I use a Boss GT6B into my amp. A few songs we do require effects. I usually use a valve emulation patch but have a 'clean' patch that I use for a few songs. My amp has the same EQ settings all the time, which seems to sound good in most rooms. There again I'm in a trio so have a nice wide range to play in. I have thought about getting a DI box but the pedal has an output if I ever need one. Our PA just handles the vocals so isn't spec'ed for bass - just for emergencies

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1420653259' post='2651781']
the only tones people seem to video are the really bright, Geddy-esque types...
[/quote]

If you play your electric bass acoustically it's pretty bright. That's how I practice so it's how I like to sound amped up too

I have been playing bass guitar for close to 50 years. For 40 of those years I was "old school" plug a P bass into an SVT and that was it. Remember at the time there was very little out board effects for bass guitar players available.

Well, over time needs, style, application and execution changes. I now use a fully loaded pedal board and I play several different basses. Just about any recording you listen to, the bass has some sort of processing in use even if it's very subtle. I could eventually end up at some point in time going back to where I started, bass to amp.

[size=4][color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000][b]Bass Guitars ( pic attached )[/b][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Bass[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop Bass[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson 1991 Thunderbird Bass[/color][/font][/color]
[font=Arial]Fender 1951 Telecaster Bass Re-issue *MIJ[/font]
[font=Arial]Fender 1959 Telecaster Bass Re-Issue MIJ[/font]
[color=#0000FF][color=#000000][font=Arial]G & L 1991 ASAT Bass (active pre-amp )[/font][/color][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]German Made Hofner 502 Limited Edition Club Bass[/color][/font][/color]

[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000][b]Pedal Board ( pic attached )[/b][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Line Wireless Relay[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Korg Pitch Black Tuner[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]MRX Bass Octave[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Boss OB3 Overdrive[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]MRX Phase Shifter[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]Boss Synth Bass[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Dedicated Delay[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]EBS Multi-Comp Compression[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Chorus[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Hall Of Fame Reverb[/color][/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000]MRX Pre-Amp DI[/color][/font][/color][/size]

Blue

Edited by blue

Have a Zoom 9.1ut and a Fishman Platinum Pro....

In a 3 piece punk originals - loads of effects, often playing just with bass and drums. Think Muse but more sh*t.
In a 3 piece acoustic - just double bass, don’t tend to use comp or EQ.
In a covers band - minimal effects, just a bit of comp, dirt, wah and chorus when required.

Often just plug the output of the boards in to the PA so don’t have an amp to tweak. When I do it is flat and do any adjustments on the guitar / Fishman if required but mostly the sound man takes care of it.

My DI Pedal is the same as my amp - Aguilar Tonehammer - so I only use the pedal when plugging into a provided rig so that I can both get my sound on-stage, and more importantly send it to FOH (and hope it doesn`t get altered too much once there).

Depends if we are using IEMS or not. Last singer insisted on a silent stage so away went my amp and I played blind for god knows how many gigs, then we got IEMS but for some reason the bass input into the controller bit always had a much lower input than the other instruments/mics, so I bought a little pre-amp/DI pedal to solve that issue.

If I want to change the tone I use the knobs on me bass or the attack from my fingers - old school ;)