Why become a member? ×

Your musical ambitions, plans & goals for 2015?

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

3 days of feasting with family, soon to be continued, I thought I'd use the lull tonight to start consolidating my plans and aspirations for next year.

What gigs I want to play, what recordings I want to make and development for new pieces.

After deciding earlier this year to only perform my own material solo I have gained a much greater sense of freedom in terms of planning gigs which will be the main momentum for 2015.

I would dearly love to get my 2 recent pieces pressed up as a 12" EP, but if this goes ahead it wont be until the middle of the year.

How about you?

Anything big planned?

I'm in a funny place in terms of bands. This year I left the band I'd played in for several years and I'm starting to wonder whether I should fill the gap. I have two projects on the go currently, one where I'm playing double bass in an acoustic setting and one in which I play guitar. Both of those bands gig fairly sparsely so they don't leave me feeling overly stretched.
What I'm not doing in either of those is playing bass with a drummer, which is something I miss. So I guess my goal for the coming year is to find a band or project to play bass in. It's been a while since I've had to actively look for people to play with (people have usually asked me), so I've almost forgotten how to go about it...

Basically to keep improving my solo stuff, bearing in mind I've only been doing it since the early summer.

I've had a few pieces accepted by production music companies, one here and one in the USA, so that's something I'd like to continue with, and expand on.

I've really enjoyed a collaboration that I'm doing at the moment, and I'd definitely like to do some more with like minded people.

:)

Edited by ambient

My main project is developing well and more or less shaping up as I'd like, but [i]much[/i] more slowly than planned, so I'm taking on a side project early in January. That is, if I pass the audition ...and if [i]they [/i]pass [i]my [/i]audition... Sod's Law being what it is, I'm sure both projects will go apeshit ballistic crazy bananas this year and I'll have to give one of them up... :rolleyes:

I am going to concentrate on writing and recording with a good old mate who used to play in a band with me a few years ago. He just bought the house right opposite mine so that bodes well! He's plays trumpet, piano, guitar and sings. Plus he's keen as mustard to get going and just for fun too, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Other than that, I'm going to be digitizing a load of my "greatest hits" from bands I've been in over the last 20-odd years. Going to put the audio up on YouTube just so the music lives on before all those old tapes die! Been meaning to do this for a long time. Was going to put it on soundcloud but I've got so much it will cost me alot. Will be pleased when it's all done and up there.

All the best for 2015 and everything you do y'all.

Boomshanka!!

Edited by miles'tone

Our band of close to 9 (I've been with them for 3 going on 4 years) years played around 68 good paying gigs ( bars/clubs & festivals and fairs ) in 2014. Not bad for a blues/70s style rock band with young female lead guitarist front.

Ok, for 2015, I'm in a good band already, as many of you know finding a band with consistent paid gigs is not easy. If you have read my threads you also know I'm an older guy and that I'm a 1 band only guy. I have no interests in multiple projects. I'm staying right where I am and hoping we have another good year for gigs.

Now, if a great national touring opportunity came my way, I would consider it.

I hope all of you have a great 2015 musical year, hopefully doing what you like in this fickle business.

Blue

Edited by blue

Great to read about what you're all doing. I'm hoping to be able to play with old mates by Aoril as I'm having surgery in January thst coukd make that possible. Due to another condition, I'll never play seriously again but....to play even just once a week with good friends would be bliss.

I got a new Lull bass last week, light as a feather, perfect balance and sounding sweet, bring on 2015!

Like Blue says, good luck to y'all and happy groovin.

After 18 fantastic months with the rock band I have joined a wedding/function band made up of the drummer and keyboard player from the wedding band I was in for 17 years, the guitarist from a rock band I was in for about the same length of time and a fantastic female singer (and it's not very often you'll hear me saying that)

I am so looking forward to getting out with them. The first gig isn't until the end of March but I still have some gigs with the rock band until they get their new bass player up to speed with the set.

I still plan on depping wherever possible but by the time the summer rolls in I'm out nearly every weekend with the new/old band.

Edited by Delberthot

After a long time without a band, or with bands where things just didn't work, I am in a band and have our first gig on tuesday, at our 'home ground', and we have 4 gigs booked up to march. Want to not screw it up and everything to be good, as not only is it a covers band, they play originals too, and after our last practice, we came up with a large part of a new one.

So ambitions, this time next year, I want to look back at this year at all the great gigs we have done, and to be playing a bass that I bought entirely from money from gigging!

https://www.facebook.com/TheTerminalFiveExperience

Ambitions for 2015:
1) Record a few of our better covers and an original or two
2) Play an outdoors festival (but more likely we'll end up playing in someone's back garden)
3) Play more paying gigs
4) Raise some more money for our favourite charities

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1419629465' post='2641497']
I'd like to be in a band that doesn't implode after one practice!
[/quote]

Don't beat yourself up. It's hard to find good productive focused bands everywhere.

Don't settle for just playing with anyone. It's hard , but if you can find an established band you like it might put you a head in 2015.

I don't like throwing this out there but it's a good benchmark for those new to the business.

[i]"99% of start up bands are not together long enough to see their 1st gig."[/i]

Blue

[quote name='Marillionred' timestamp='1419630445' post='2641510']
[url="https://www.facebook.com/TheTerminalFiveExperience"]https://www.facebook...lFiveExperience[/url]

Ambitions for 2015:
1) Record a few of our better covers and an original or two
2) Play an outdoors festival (but more likely we'll end up playing in someone's back garden)
3) Play more paying gigs
4) Raise some more money for our favourite charities
[/quote]

I think many of us want to play more decent paying gigs.

I think the hard thing for many bands is to turn down non-paying gigs. I personally think rejecting non-playing gigs positions you better for paying gigs. It might not show, but a lot of the seasoned older guys guys get that "[i]beat down/ is it worth it[/i]" feeling after giving away your heart and soul.

Now, I know many of you guys love playing so much that getting paid doesn't matter to you. Keep in mind,you guys don't represent everyone. If you don't care about money and getting paid that's cool. Remember, while it's all about fun, this is still a business to many of us and many here and everywhere want to do more paying gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

1. Gig as much as possible
2. As a result of those gigs, sell as many copies of our album as possible
3. As a result of both 1 and 2, when we play at The Rebellion Festival in August, many people there know our material
4. Try and get some overseas gigs

This year has been a bit slow musically. Playing with a great bunch of guys, but logistics dictate that we probably only meet once a month. I want to (finally) release a solo album, finish the album with Slander that we started this year, and get a Jazz duo/trio together with a local Jazz guitarist.

That's not too much to ask now, is it?

Nice thread! Here's mine so far. All subject to flux... as is everything in life ;)

Ambitions and goals:

1) Stop noodling around and dedicate some proper time to productive practice (bass and guitar).

2) Finally get round to accepting a kind family friend's offer of an upright piano. Then learn how to play it. Once we've worked out where to put it...

Firm plans so far:

1) Finish and release an EP with Mike Flynn (Basschat's 'Urb'). We have a couple of tracks to do, then it's done. Very happy with it so far.

2) Mix an album for J-Sonics. Great musicians, so that should be fun.

3) Start new material with singer Paula Rae Gibson (another Mike Flynn collaboration!).

On paper, I'm happy with that :)