Why become a member? ×

Marshall amps documentary

casapete

Gonna have to watch it.

thanks for the tip!!!!!

Marshall were (kinda) our local brand (2 train stops away) until Blackstar opened up their HQ in my town.

My brother was in a band with a guy that had one of Gary Moore's old 50 watt heads and went to the Bletchley factory to pick it up after a repair/service with him back in the 80's. Lucky **** got to have a go on the drum kit in Jim Marshall's office!!
Before the days of camera phones unfortunately!!

Edited by Tuco

Cheers for the heads up. There was cracking little doc on BBC about Vox a few years ago . The bit where Iain Lee is watching Brian May play in front of him made me chuckle as he can barely contain his excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s3386KZVI

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed

Slightly OT but I cant help myself!
[url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x79gto_fuzz-01_music"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x79gto_fuzz-01_music[/url]

First link to an 8 parter (hope it's OK to post such links up mods)

AWESOME docu!! (LOVE the jaded music store owner!!)

If you havent seen it : enjoy ;)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1417272165' post='2618743']
I have to disagree spacey- both the DBS heads and the vba heads are absolutely superb.
It's just a shame that the success of their guitar line has overshadowed all other attempts to diversify their product line. Perhaps a victim of their own success?
[/quote]
I agree. Never played a VBA400, but heard a few, and they've always sounded godd to me. I have a DBS7400, and it's brilliant (but very heavy).

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1417309339' post='2619128']
I agree. Never played a VBA400, but heard a few, and they've always sounded godd to me. I have a DBS7400, and it's brilliant (but very heavy).
[/quote]

Same here, had the DBS7400, coupled with a VBC412 - also extremely heavy. Sounded great though.

Had a VBA, yes they sound OK, pretty much a very one trick amp, but you need a spare head at all times, that and they are a two man lift if cased and total nightmare if cold in a warm room.

Transistor wise, again, one trick amps, one sound and thats it.
They are always years behind the competition.
These days of Mark Bass and TC, agulia ect.., where are they in bass amps ?
Nowhere is the answer, nostalgia of yesteryear.

Before I did the factory tour in '08 I met the whole family that worked there. Then got the in-depth on the Lemmy stack before being shown round & watched the 4x15's being built. Jim Marshall gave me his auto-biog/souvenir of the day too, though I was trying for a discounted Lemmy amp it wasn't going to happen.

In the Marshall reception there's a huge glass display case/museum holding an amp of every model they've made, Marshall & Park & others. It's open to the public by prior appointment. The mock theatre where you can trial most of the amp range past & present is - IIRC - only open to serious buyers and/or "names".
[i]Might be an idea for a Basschat outing on the ol' Charabanc?[/i]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417348496' post='2619339']
They are always years behind the competition.
These days of Mark Bass and TC, agulia ect.., where are they in bass amps ?
Nowhere is the answer, nostalgia of yesteryear.
[/quote]

Never been a factor bass-wise, IMO. I had one back in the day when you HAD to have one..or thought you did
and couldn't wait to swap it out for a Hiwatt which was heaps better.

Where its a factor is staying in business.
Orange, Aguilar. Mark bass TC and plenty of others flying out of shops to bass players.
Marshall, nowhere to be seen, nobody really even bothers stocking them.

Now they have the Chinese links, but like anything British (Rover cars) they just can not get in to the 21st century.
Time has stopped and what should be a premium brand is now a range of out of date old school bass amps that really would be better scrapped, get some fresh blood and I have said this before, utilise tube drive pre-amp technology and wire it to a class D power amp and get back in the game.
Re-design the cabs, dump celestion speakers and use eminence top range, make smaller stuff, 1x12, 2x12, 2x10, make it all fit together and line up.

A real shame that they are no longer a option in the bass market, they need to have a coach trip out and go see and play the competitions amps and come back to the drawing board, but don't only see them, load them in and out of the types of cars musicians have, see how necessity now drives what we buy, gone are the days of band vans, it's what you can carry now in your car.

I had a 50 watt superbass in the late eighties. It was an early 70s one. It sounded great. Then in about 2004 I bought a 100 watt superbass and played guitar through it with an old greebacked marshall 4x12. My cab was covered by Jim. It has his signature inside. It sounded great. Used a powerbrake with it. Swapped it for a '67 SG junior