Why become a member? ×

Precision with Flats

Higgie

So after watching this video of Pino Palladino with Nine Inch Nails on his Precision with flat wounds: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYzUQdZMkrk[/media]

I decided to buy some flats for one of my Precisions (Dimarzio Model P equipped 82 Squier JV P 57 Reissue) and it's absolutely awesome. I did a quick sound clip trying to play the tune above.

The strings are D'Addario Chromes, and it's the P down tuned to DGCF as on the video going straight into an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 DI'd into an Apogee Duet 2 and recorded in Logic. Couple mistakes in there but what the hell here it is warts and all!

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1rodgectcbnf0f/All%20Time%20Low%20Mix.mp3?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....%20Mix.mp3?dl=0[/url]

The strings are obviously brand new and supposedly they get better with time, so I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about! Really looking forward to playing this through an octave pedal now too!

Anyone else new to the flat wound string, or any long time users want to chime in with their experience? What are your favourite strings?

Edited by Higgie

I'm about to put a set of Chromes on my Squier P5. Never used them before, so looking forward to seeing how they sound!
I have flats on everything. TI JF344s on the two P4s, Fenders on the Kingman. The Chromes on the P5 will replace the stock rounds. I find it really hard to play on rounds now - too uncomfortable!

Edited by Telebass

I had Rotosound Steve Harris strings on my erm, Steve Harris P for a couple of years.
Fantastic sounding strings but bloody stiff, and expensive.

Swapped to a spare set of rounds as a temporary thing while I found some more compliant flats. But I've yet to actually buy some...

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1412837855' post='2572461']
Bartelby, IME, almost ANY flats have more compliance than those. You could tow a car with tge E string. ..
[/quote]

I use D'Addario rounds, so I may treat the bass to some Chromes

Hi Higgie, I put Lakland flats on my Lull PJ5 a couple of years ago and the sound went from great to better than great.

I haven't used flats since about 1970 so the improvement to an already fantastic sounding bass was a pleasant surprise.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1412848130' post='2572579']
Chromes are comparably taut to the Roto 77's - although it all depends on your gauge selection.
[/quote]

I've had the Steve Harris strings on the SH P whilst having the normal 77s on a JV P.
Both sets the same gauge. There wasn't anything between them.

Chromes don't go as heavy as the 55-110 gauge of Rotos, so I hope they're not a stiff

Tuning down like that is something I've not done, but with regular EADG on my Precisions my favourite strings are LaBella FLs.

I really don't like chromes, and I find the LaBellas far more sympathetic to the blues / blues-rock / soul that I normally play.

If I can't get LaBella (they're often out of stock) then I'll go for Status Hotwires or Lakland (the ones they used to market as Joe Osborne flats).

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1412819891' post='2572439']
So after watching this video of Pino Palladino with Nine Inch Nails on his Precision with flat wounds: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYzUQdZMkrk[/media]
[/quote]

That's a great clip - It's a good one to refer the 'all flats can do is thud' crowd to. Well done on your rendition of it too.

IME the trickiest part of playing with flats is that most engineers aren't aware of what they're supposed to sound like. They treat 'em like dead flats, and more often than not their magic - that 'woodiness' - is sucked out in the mix.

That's exactly what I mean. I didn't realise flats could do that kinda thing. Tempted to get some on my 5 String Jazz now!! Thanks for your comment on my version of the track too :)

Edited by Higgie

I use a Precision with dead Rotosound rounds. As an experiment I tried my backup which has Roto flats on it at practice and was amazed at the sound I could get - the same basically, aside from the fact that both the D and G were far more prominent in the mix.

Given both of the above, coupled with the fact that flats last a lot longer than rounds, and that dead rounds have a bit of difficulty holding their tuning after a certain point, I`m now looking to go flat.

I've had Ernie Ball flats and D'addario Chromes. They sounded awesome on my 'P' at the time, but ultimately I prefer rounds. There's just something [i]visceral[/i] about flats on a 'P'.

Maybe one day when I've changed musical direction (again) I'll go back there.

I rate Status Hot Wire Flats very highly & they must be best VFM at £20ish posted, I've just put a new set on my Roger Waters P, very happy with them. I've had them on my HW1 P for a few years now & they're nicely run in :) still as good as new B)

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1412858375' post='2572716']
That's exactly what I mean. I didn't realise flats could do that kinda thing.
[/quote]
When the Precision was first sold in the early 1950s flatwounds were the only strings available so it's no surprise that it sounds so good with them.

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1412885550' post='2573067']
I have Fender flats on my (cheap copy) P bass, and I love them. Considering trying some other flats, e.g. labella or status, to see if I can get something with even better fundamentals.
[/quote]
If you can afford the dollar then get some Thomastik Infelds, they're much lower in tension than other flats, but they just sound musical? That's the only way I can describe them! There's that thump and warmth but they can also sing!

My favourite flats on a P are TI's, I believe they are what Pino uses also. Lots of midrange character, very compliant, and silky smooth once broken in.

I also really dug the Pyramid Golds for a bit more heavy thud, they also sound broken in straight away and are the smoothest feeling strings ever.

I didn't really get on with Chromes or LaBellas - too high in tension and they felt stickly compared to the TIs and Pyramids.

The last P I bought came strung with Rotosound flats and I was very impressed with those too, very bright sounding and nice to play, probably a fairly new set. I took them off in favour of rounds fairly quickly as I already have another P with TIs, but I think I will put them back on at some point and give them more playing time.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1412887200' post='2573096']
I didn't really get on with Chromes or LaBellas - too high in tension and they felt stickly compared to the TIs and Pyramids.
[/quote]

FWIW. La Bellas are sticky out of the packet. Bear with them and they smooth out wonderfully.