Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1414397316' post='2588788']

My can is still in next to new condition after over a year of taking it to every rehearsal and gig, I have no cover for it either.
And I haven't "babied" mine really either.
[/quote]

"Kicking my can all the place. Singing, we will, we will..."

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414423536' post='2589137']

I still feel guilty about putting my bass stand next to your cab's grille in the car boot that time - hope I didn't scratch it. I'm so used to cabs having covers I didn't even think about it :-(
[/quote]

Mate don't worry about it. It barely left a mark and I'm not one to care that it's immaculate. I've walked it through own in the rain in my arms!! It's one hundred percent fine hahaha

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1413909996' post='2583505']
Every bass and every cab and every amp is 5h1t. Otherwise there would be no Basschat :)
[/quote]

No! No! No!

Everybody [u]else's[/u] bass and every cab and every amp is 5hit. This is why we have Basschat.

Except when my bass and cab and amp is 5hit and I'm jealous of everybody else's bass and cab and amp. That's called GAS, and this is why we have Basschat :D

Edited by 41.2Hz

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1415657456' post='2602521']
My walk-to-gig-rig. Looks great, sounds great, and I can happily walk a couple of miles with bass on back, cab in left hand, [b]head in right[/b]. Handles are doing fine :)

[attachment=176136:post-359-0-83232600-1407670557.jpg]
[/quote]

Are you a Shakespearian bassist?

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1416249008' post='2608321']
The handles on my BF S12T were fine when I owned it, the handles on my two BF SCs are spot on-I also have the sound I love, the weight and portability I love and I dont mind the looks, I am a happy customer, thanks Alex
[/quote]

Same here, all of my S12T works fine including the handles.

I've had my Super 15 for some time now. It has done many gigs. The handles are fine. It took me 6 years of even heavier gigging to damage the identical handle on my Markbass CMD 121H. However, you lot damaging and moaning about yours means Alex had a spare I could put on the MB, for another years-long run of heavy use!
How DO you damage them? And the S15 is at the heaviest level of BF, at 49lb.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413795599' post='2581839']
I've never seen or heard a good one...
You can put the 'seen' part down to the build and design, and that is not something that you can blame the player for.
The sound..?? well, the guy who uses one doesn't have a sound I'd go for whatever I have heard him use, so that is more a variable.
[/quote]

I've only heard one, and that was EQed so far differently to what I'd do that I couldn't give an opinion of the sound.

As for seen, though, you have just been slavering over this

and yet this

is so ugly you wouldn't give it house room. And although the S112 doesn't use shelf ports, other cabs in tks's range do - a design feature that you have railed at in BF cabs but which is apparently perfectly acceptable from other manufacturers.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1416700739' post='2612835']

I've only heard one, and that was EQed so far differently to what I'd do that I couldn't give an opinion of the sound.

and yet this

is so ugly you wouldn't give it house room. And although the S112 doesn't use shelf ports, other cabs in tks's range do - a design feature that you have railed at in BF cabs but which is apparently perfectly acceptable from other manufacturers.
[/quote] but as taylor swift explained "Cause the players gonna play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
Shake it off"
Which of course means that that kind of perfect logic isnt going to work here... but dont let it get to you

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1416700739' post='2612835']

and yet this

[/quote]

But if you have read the threads I've gone on about the sound of the S112 which also happens to be rear ported.
I've never been a fan of shelved ports and was glad the S112 went away from that design. I even said in TKS threads
that I've never 'liked' it but if everything else about the cab was to my liking, I'd go with it but the build quality is good and the
sound of the cabs I've used is very good. I know which model I would buy and it would be rear ported..

There are plenty of threads about Barefaced build issues, that I'm certainly not the only one to mention it..
If you are happy with your cabs then fine ...but if you want to know what people and the industry thinks but will not write here, ask around,
That doesn't make it defintive for sure, but maybe the BC'ers that have sold their cabs on might be the ones to ask... and see if they went back to the same maker and why....!!! :lol:

Edited by JTUK

I'm on my third Barefaced cab now, only changed them for cabs which got closer to my goals of ultimate portability and versatility. Only ever heard one 'industry professional' slag them (the whole range/concept/maker) off, and that was, at his own admission, without ever testing one. All I ever get from people who actually hear them (and then lift them) is head-shaking admiration.

Haters are, it seems, gonna hate... :lol:

I`ve now had 3 BF cabs, previously was a Compact/Midget, now am on a Super12T. I buy cabs for how they deal with the sound I want at the time, and currently the S12T is proving incredibly good. I wanted a cab that had very little colouration to the sound, so that I know what I hear from the cab is the same as what is DI`d to FOH. Also needed it to be powerful, light, and not too big. The S12T fits the bill on all of these. Before I bought it I thought about getting another, along with the special lead that allows you to connect two up to a 4ohm head, for bigger gigs. Now having used it at gigs I have no need sound-wise, but it would look good. And the handles work fine too.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1416740443' post='2612997']
Haters are, it seems, gonna hate... :lol:
[/quote]

I don't hate them..just don't rate them.
I have to admit to being totally bemused at the tone goals of the guys I've heard that do use them round here...
But whilst they may not have much of a clue as far as I am concerned, it goes quite a bit further than that, IMO..
but we don't have to get into that.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416735233' post='2612934']
There are plenty of threads about Barefaced build issues, that I'm certainly not the only one to mention it..
If you are happy with your cabs then fine ...but if you want to know what people and the industry thinks but will not write here, ask around,
That doesn't make it defintive for sure, but maybe the BC'ers that have sold their cabs on might be the ones to ask... and see if they went back to the same maker and why....!!! :lol:
[/quote]

My cabs are a Tech Soundsystems 4x10 (which I'm happy with) and a brace of GK Neo IIs (which I don't seem to be able to get the sound I'd like from). I'd like a pair of lightweight 1x12s but don't know what as yet. A budget of approximately £0 is helping with that decision, in that I can't go out and buy anything at the moment. I mention this so you realise that I have no dog in this fight.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1416701526' post='2612839']
but as taylor swift explained "Cause the players gonna play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
Shake it off"

[/quote]

That's all very well, but I'm all about the bass, 'bout that bass, no treble.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1416745921' post='2613073']
My cabs are a Tech Soundsystems 4x10 (which I'm happy with) and a brace of GK Neo IIs (which I don't seem to be able to get the sound I'd like from). I'd like a pair of lightweight 1x12s but don't know what as yet. A budget of approximately £0 is helping with that decision, in that I can't go out and buy anything at the moment. I mention this so you realise that I have no dog in this fight.
[/quote]

Totally understand that... I have too many cabs as it is and need to sell a set ( 112's as it happens ) before I buy anymore in.
I have lightweight and I have heavier so I can do all my gigs with what I have atm so it has to be 1-out, before 1-in.
But if I don't get the price I want for my sale, I stick with my current cabs...no problem. They aren't shoddy by any means,
and some call them the 'best' cabs etc etc ... but I want to go another direction..
Quality. from my POV is a big thing for me tho... so that extends to everything about the kit. I'm vocal enough in that regard, I guess,
in all things, re bass, kit and music stuff in general

Lozz and Beedster always seem to buy quality gear, they're happy with the Barefaceds they've bought, , speaks for itself to me...and I wouldn't describe them as fan boys either.

Not liking the the finish or sound of these cabs is a matter of personal taste. There are numerous members on BC that dislike cabs finished in carpet, we don't however have threads questioning the quality of MarkBass products on that basis (who incidentally seem to use the same handles).

Edited by Marvin