Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

My beef with some of the posts is that they are either subjective or totally off topic with respect to the original post, The main gist of the OP was:

"I have a Barefaced Super 12T . It's a great sounding cab , But I can't stand the handles this is the 3rd time I've picked the cab up by the top handle and it has swung back and bashed me in the shines. I really don't think it needs those wheels"

Almost alI the posts berating Barfaced have nothing to do with the palcement, or intended use of the top handle.
I have seen posts of poor build quality but have only heard of one [b][i]failed[/i][/b] handle. As the handle was the starting point of the thread then that is on topic. Most of the other comments are not.

Poor build quality would result in multiple failures but the handle failure is the first I have heard. I think many people confuse build quality with cosmetic appearance. Had any of the Barefaced cabinets had the problems of the same magnitude as the Ampeg PF500 amp (now on at least revision 7) , I could understand it but they don't. I do not like the look of the Ampeg Valve heads. i my opinion they are cosmetically very poor ( maybe they are just retro) gives no indication of the build quality or reliability.

This has been a real bandwagon jumping session and the trouble is that different people are jumping on different wagons. What has the sound of the cabinet (a sound that many people like) or the look of the cabinet got to do with the placement (and misuse of) of one of the handles?

Maybe if we all shut up Alex migh come on and chip in but to be honest, if I were him I would keep contact on a one to one basis with customers.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1413752444' post='2581609']
My main problem with Bareface has always been that they command premium prices but look like something knocked up in a shed.
[/quote]

I don't agree that they look knocked up in a shed, but they are utilitarian. But, is Barefaced about the looks or the sound and weight?

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1413751224' post='2581587']
My beef with some of the posts is that they are either subjective or totally off topic with respect to the original post, The main gist of the OP was:

"I have a Barefaced Super 12T . It's a great sounding cab , But I can't stand the handles this is the 3rd time I've picked the cab up by the top handle and it has swung back and bashed me in the shines. I really don't think it needs those wheels"

Almost alI the posts berating Barfaced have nothing to do with the palcement, or intended use of the top handle.
I have seen posts of poor build quality but have only heard of one [b][i]failed[/i][/b] handle. As the handle was the starting point of the thread then that is on topic. Most of the other comments are not.

Poor build quality would result in multiple failures but the handle failure is the first I have heard. I think many people confuse build quality with cosmetic appearance. Had any of the Barefaced cabinets had the problems of the same magnitude as the Ampeg PF500 amp (now on at least revision 7) , I could understand it but they don't. I do not like the look of the Ampeg Valve heads. i my opinion they are cosmetically very poor ( maybe they are just retro) gives no indication of the build quality or reliability.

This has been a real bandwagon jumping session and the trouble is that different people are jumping on different wagons. What has the sound of the cabinet (a sound that many people like) or the look of the cabinet got to do with the placement (and misuse of) of one of the handles?

Maybe if we all shut up Alex migh come on and chip in but to be honest, if I were him I would keep contact on a one to one basis with customers.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you.

I've never seen or heard a good one...
You can put the 'seen' part down to the build and design, and that is not something that you can blame the player for.
The sound..?? well, the guy who uses one doesn't have a sound I'd go for whatever I have heard him use, so that is more a variable.

But the biggest issue is, IMO... why is this always such a contentious point amongst so many.
I am not a fan but I am by no means alone. It doesn't seem to be a subject that people can leave alone, on either side
of the equation. What is it that crystalises opinion so..?? Maybe they have upset so many people..?? who knows..?
Maybe by promising so much and delivering..??? or setting oneself up as a guru..??
Who knows..? And, who cares, I'll worry about that myself when they become any sort of contender for my business. Others have decided
they are exactly that for them...?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1413753204' post='2581619']
When the competition is producing well build good looking cabs then it's important.
[/quote]

Is the competition producing good looking cabs that are any lighter? Do people who buy these cabs buy them for the weight saving and sound and maybe are not particularly interested in Berg/Van looks?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413796366' post='2581858']

Is the competition producing good looking cabs that are any lighter? Do people who buy these cabs buy them for the weight saving and sound and maybe are not particularly interested in Berg/Van looks?
[/quote]

TKS make good looking cabs that are light enough to make the difference negligible.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413797066' post='2581877']
I think we need to put this to the test. Any chance of a cab-off at the SE Bass Bass?
[/quote]

Would be great to have a blind test like the P bass one.... same bass, same amp, same player with a 112 from various maunfacturers.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413796366' post='2581858']Is the competition producing good looking cabs that are any lighter?[/quote]

Barefaced Big Twin - 22.5kg
Bergantino CN212 - 20.8kg
TKS S212 - 21kg

Barefaced Super Compact - 11kg
Bergantino CN112 - 12.7kg
TKS S112 - 10kg

Further: I seem to remember from an old thread some discrepancy between "real world" and "advertised weight" on Barefaced products, but the memory fades. Maybe I'm not right.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413803001' post='2581991']

Barefaced Big Twin - 22.5kg
Bergantino CN212 - 20.8kg
TKS S212 - 21kg

TKS S112 - 10kg

Further: I seem to remember from an old thread some discrepancy between "real world" and "advertised weight" on Barefaced products, but the memory fades. Maybe I'm not right.
[/quote]

Yup. We all know about Berg's build quality. And the TKS's aren't even neo.

Don't get me wrong, I like the BF stuff. The Vintage I used a few times sounded glorious. But they're not the only lightweight boutique cabs out there. They do have great marketing copy, though.

Are people really this concerned about the appearance of a speaker cabinet? It is a piece of equipment that in use will be hidden in the dark behind the player where no one in the audience is likely to notice it.

I have done about 60 gigs with my Super Twin and it still looks as (good/bad/ugly, delete according to taste) it did the day I bought it (no dings or scratches) despite being carried in and out of the house, the boot of the car, and various difficult to access pubs.

I carry it by using one of the side handles, it weighs slightly less than the ABM500 I use with it. The top handle is obviously there to pull it along on the castors. I have yet to hit myself in the shins, shines or any other part of the anatomy with the cab.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1413807624' post='2582089']
My Genz neoxT 2x12 is only 24kg, not deal breaking extra weight over the barefaced with a much more professional finish to the cabinet all over. Shame fender killed them off :(
[/quote]
Shame? Positively criminal if you ask me. Lost me as a customer at any rate -- I will never buy a new item of Fender gear again.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1413808574' post='2582101']
Are people really this concerned about the appearance of a speaker cabinet? It is a piece of equipment that in use will be hidden in the dark behind the player where no one in the audience is likely to notice it.
[/quote]

For an 800 quid cab? I'd want it to look like it cost 800 quid, for a start.

I had no problem with the top handle on my S12V, or side handles for that matter. Lift from side, wheel with the top.
With the silver cloth face, I thought it looked quite nice in a retro way.
After 18 months I moved it on, really because in some venues it was really difficult for me to dial out a bottom end boom, almost farty at times.
In some venues it sounded just amazing.

Have to admit though, the look of some of those TKS :gas: , even though the Markbass cabs sound really great to me.
Must resist.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413803001' post='2581991']
TKS S112 - 10kg

[/quote]

Hmm, maybe not the best chosen example there. The S112 is a small box for a 1x12" so the BF Super Midget would be a better comparison, at which point the weight difference is negligible. The BF should have more low-end output available too, presuming both makers specs are comparable.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413809451' post='2582111']
For an 800 quid cab? I'd want it to look like it cost 800 quid, for a start.
[/quote]
Leave the price tag on? Seriously, does it need to look like it cost 800 quid to impress people, or to help you in justifying the outlay to yourself? I'm not having a go, but I never even considered the appearance of my Super Twin when I bought it (and still don't). Sound, weight and being able to fit in the boot of my Astra with the amp next to it were and are the only considerations for me.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1413811869' post='2582161']
Leave the price tag on? Seriously, does it need to look like it cost 800 quid to impress people, or to help you in justifying the outlay to yourself? I'm not having a go, but I never even considered the appearance of my Super Twin when I bought it (and still don't). Sound, weight and being able to fit in the boot of my Astra with the amp next to it were and are the only considerations for me.
[/quote]

And you are to be applauded. I like stuff to look pretty - it's in my nature.

It also shows that the builder takes pride in it, too.