Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1412858542' post='2572723'] I have an early gen 1 Compact and the handle has recently started showing signs of wear, [b]hope I can get a replacement sorted when it does die[/b]. I'm not the original owner, and I've gigged pretty heavily with it in the last (almost) two years since I bought it, so not doing too badly when you consider Barefaced was probably a one man band when it was made. I would like to upgrade to a Super Compact, which I understand has better handles, but they're a different company now. [/quote]
You can get replacements on the Barefaced website i believe, it's an upgrade kit to the newer style handles too.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1412859631' post='2572737']

Why does that make any difference..?
[/quote]

Because I don't think it's unreasonable to make allowances for a small company that is one bloke handmaking his product, particularly one that is in the early days of it's life - I understand from the person I bought mine from that my Compact is one of the earliest made. Not everything is going to be perfect when a company of that size brings their product to market, it takes time to evolve. Is my Compact a perfect cab? No, and I've never claimed it is: the handle is on the way out (though as I mentioned earlier, it's not had a bad run), the finish looks a bit amatuer and it didn't have the corner pieces fitted when I got it, so I did it myself and they [I]definitely[/I] look like they were fitted by an amatuer, as they were :lol:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1412861893' post='2572765']

Who are?
[/quote]
The Barefaced who built my cab, presumably just Alex, and the Barefaced of today who have a couple of employees and CNC machines.

Thay all said, TKS look like they've handled (pun intended) product introduction better than Barefaced - so it can be done.

Edited by Graham

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1412633128' post='2570712'] Slightly updated to weather the inevitable storm. . . :) [/quote]Surely TKS are introducing product now in the UK but are established in Sweden. We did not witness TKS's growing pains whilst we damn near saw the Placenta with Barefaced.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1412888379' post='2573116']
Surely TKS are introducing product now in the UK but are established in Sweden. We did not witness TKS's growing pains whilst we damn near saw the Placenta with Barefaced.
[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean I'm afraid :(

I think he means that Alex C. was posting build threads on basschat about his DIY cabs some time before he thought of gearing up to sell them to people. With a quick search of the forum, you can look right back to when it was just a guy building himself a cab, through being a part-time hobby business, right through to employing people and moving production to CNC.
Looking back at those old threads, I was amused to find that the reservations about strap handles and painted finishes pre-date a single cab being sold! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/46773-the-birth-of-barefaced/page__view__findpost__p__232933"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/46773-the-birth-of-barefaced/page__view__findpost__p__232933[/url]

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1412892905' post='2573182']
I think he means that Alex C. was posting build threads on basschat about his DIY cabs some time before he thought of gearing up to sell them to people. With a quick search of the forum, you can look right back to when it was just a guy building himself a cab, through being a part-time hobby business, right through to employing people and moving production to CNC.
Looking back at those old threads, I was amused to find that the reservations about strap handles and painted finishes pre-date a single cab being sold! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/46773-the-birth-of-barefaced/page__view__findpost__p__232933"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/46773-the-birth-of-barefaced/page__view__findpost__p__232933[/url]
[/quote]

I think I see where you're coming from but didn't get the TKS reference.

It always feels to me that people are way more accepting of the often poor fit and finish of UK suppliers than they are of overseas ones.

If the UK stuff was cheap then I guess I could understand it but when it's the same price but not anywhere near as well finished then I always end up scratching my head in amazement.

Aren't these cabs actually quite expensive ?

I think if you buy something that's quite expensive, then you'd expect it to be well designed, sounds to me that it's maybe not.

As for supplying new handles when old ones get worn out, the cabs can't really be that old, they're quite new on the market aren't they ? So why would they wear out so fast, or aren't/weren't they particularly good quality ?

:)

Edited by ambient

It must be the UK. It's the only country where people defend poor quality. I believe some people actually paid good money for Reliant Robins and Austin Metros - but at least they were cheap.

The only way Alex is going to improve his product and stay in business is if he receives and accepts valid criticism.

Edited by stevie

Something is either well made and designed or it isn't...in the eye of the person looking to buy a product.
If it works for you then ok....if it doesn't work for others then people should be able to say so...and apparently they do.

If something looks well desgined, then possibly it is..but if you can't get that right then you might ask what else is
cobbled together.
The problems don't seemed to have stopped at one little thing...as you now have people talking about the sound.
( That was actually the first thing I heard, and the cab making was just another thing, but sound is more 'subjective')

If you are going into a design field, some people just have inherrent talent and others just don't and that is tough work
as a one man show. That is why you get a team... as soon as you can afford to.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1412897198' post='2573209']
I think I see where you're coming from but didn't get the TKS reference.

It always feels to me that people are way more accepting of the often poor fit and finish of UK suppliers than they are of overseas ones.

If the UK stuff was cheap then I guess I could understand it but when it's the same price but not anywhere near as well finished then I always end up scratching my head in amazement.
[/quote]

I wonder if you'd be saying this if you were selling them in your shop? Perhaps then you'd be highlighting the weight and aural delivery.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1412930978' post='2573330']

I wonder if you'd be saying this if you were selling them in your shop? Perhaps then you'd be highlighting the weight and aural delivery.
[/quote]

It's a personal view and not a shop one Sean.

Although we do have a 'quality threshold' in the shop and there are some brands we won't stock (even in PX) because either they have build quality issues, poor customer service reputations or simply don't sound very good.

This sometimes means we have to turn away business but we really try hard not to stick things we don't believe in.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1412930978' post='2573330']
[/quote]

Maybe that is why some shops don't stock them. I've been to the shop in question and it has a lot of high quality kit so I would
think... and I don't presume to speak for them,..that certain products aren't what they are looking for and wont work for their market.
Shops live or die on those decisions... but I am planning a visit again soon....when TKS get a range in, as it happens.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1412931540' post='2573347']
It's a personal view and not a shop one Sean.

Although we do have a 'quality threshold' in the shop and there are some brands we won't stock (even in PX) because either they have build quality issues, poor customer service reputations or simply don't sound very good.

This sometimes means we have to turn away business but we really try hard not to stick things we don't believe in.
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1412931878' post='2573352']
Maybe that is why some shops don't stock them. I've been to the shop in question and it has a lot of high quality kit so I would
think... and I don't presume to speak for them,..that certain products aren't what they are looking for and wont work for their market.
Shops live or die on those decisions... but I am planning a visit again soon....when TKS get a range in, as it happens.
[/quote]

I didn't think any shops sell Barefaced. It's not even in the offing, Alex cuts out the middle man and sells direct, but I think retailers would be singing a different tune if he did.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1412932570' post='2573362']
I didn't think any shops sell Barefaced. It's not even in the offing, Alex cuts out the middle man and sells direct, but I think retailers would be singing a different tune if he did.
[/quote]

http://manchesterbasslounge.com/?p=6327

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1412933063' post='2573368']
[url="http://manchesterbasslounge.com/?p=6327"]http://manchesterbas...nge.com/?p=6327[/url]
[/quote]

I stand corrected.

Is there anyone from the Manchester Bass Lounge on the forum? Perhaps they'd like to give us their angle on the handles?

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1412933932' post='2573382']
Why would the Manchester Bass Lounge know any more than the members who have already commented?
[/quote]

Because they have made the commitment to sell them. I'm wondering if the MBL would knowingly sell something that it as flawed as everyone tries to make out?

I think the most interesting thing about tks is that they have joined this forum and... We'll you can tell they understand the tech. That's cool.

Also glad it wasn't just me hearing a really middy response on some barefaced cabs (not all) comparing a big one to my acme b2.... Well one sounded better than the other and I didn't even look at the handles!

I'm thinking of building a fearful and putting my own bad handles on!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1412929003' post='2573309']
It must be the UK. It's the only country where people defend poor quality. I believe some people actually paid good money for Reliant Robins and Austin Metros - but at least they were cheap.

The only way Alex is going to improve his product and stay in business is if he receives and accepts valid criticism.
[/quote]

That's what I was initially asking? It wouldn't be accepted in the US or Germany, for example. So are people more protective of the questionable build because it was built here?

I don't care how they sound, that is subjective. Any premium product should surely have top notch fit and finish regardless of sound.

This does seem to be a British thing. I remember when Japanese were buying Sony, the Germans were buying Braun – we were buying Amstrad. In defence of Barefaced, I think many people are prepared to forgive their shortcomings because they are so lightweight.