Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413812037' post='2582163']
And you are to be applauded. I like stuff to look pretty - it's in my nature.
[/quote]

A good friend of mine is of the same opinion, he changed the rear tyre on his Harley for a different brand long before it was worn simply because the other one looked better.

To me, the cab is simply a tool, it's just a black box that sits at the back of the stage and makes me sound better than I am.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1413812651' post='2582178']
A good friend of mine is of the same opinion, he changed the rear tyre on his Harley for a different brand long before it was worn simply because the other one looked better.

To me, the cab is simply a tool, it's just a black box that sits at the back of the stage and makes me sound better than I am.
[/quote]

Mine is a lovingly-crafted statue of cool that makes my heart flutter whenever I look at it or hear it, and also draws comments on looks and sound.

We're both happy with what we have. It's all good!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413809451' post='2582111']

For an 800 quid cab? I'd want it to look like it cost 800 quid, for a start.
[/quote]
Yep, you can only get away with less if their is no alternative the Genz is /was very similar in specification and £799 and there are other options with a smarter fit and finish for the same or less.

I wouldn't buy something that I don't like the look of, but luckily I like the look of the BF. The only thing I would change on mine is to have the porting concealed by the silver cloth grille.

As a cabinetmaker myself, I am very aware when something has not been built properly, but the two I've had (both CNC cut) have been absolutely fine in terms of assembly, solidity and quality of fixtures.

I must admit that I didn't like the speakon sockets being proud on the back of the '69er, but this has been addressed on G3 cabs.

I can see why people don't like the Tuff Cab finish, as it is very textured, but I'm fine with it. My last cab had a nice oxblood tolex/vinyl covering, but that didn't stand up well to bumps at all. The Tuff Cab is very hardy stuff!

I'm not a fanboi at all. They sound great to me, but I won't get upset if someone disagrees. There have been times of bad customer service (not responding to emails/going way over promised build times) and the delivery price is crazy (£60 for a large cab??) But overall, it's the right cab for me*, so I tolerated these things.

*I'd have tried another brand, but for storage reasons, my cab needs to be max 13" deep, so that's most others out :-(

Once again I fail to understand the vitriol aimed at Barefaced products! Is it jealousy, or what?? I really don't know. No-one gives a toss if you use a Berg or Aguilar or Vanderkley... so what's it all about, guys?

Here's my contribution: [i]If you don't like the idea of buying a Barefaced cab, then don't.[/i]
I really don't blame Alex for absenting himself from threads like this. In any case he's far too busy keeping up with demand.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413813531' post='2582192']
Once again I fail to understand the vitriol aimed at Barefaced products!
[/quote]

I'm really not seeing any 'bitter criticism or malice'.

It's been suggested a couple of times in the thread that Barefaced were in a field of their own weight-wise and tonally. I just see people politely pointing out that that's not necessarily true.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413812863' post='2582181']
... and also draws comments on looks ...
[/quote]

Really?

I mean, [i][b]really[/b][/i]?

You actually get people come up to you after (or maybe during) gigs and say: "[color=#ff0000][i]Wow! Your bass cab looks mighty sexy boy![/i][/color]"

You've been gigging a lot longer than I have, Michael, and at a noticeably higher level, but I'm still amazed to read that.

How often does it happen?

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1413814295' post='2582207']
Really?

I mean, [i][b]really[/b][/i]?

You actually get people come up to you after (or maybe during) gigs and say: "[color=#ff0000][i]Wow! Your bass cab looks mighty sexy boy![/i][/color]"

You've been gigging a lot longer than I have, Michael, and at a noticeably higher level, but I'm still amazed to read that.

How often does it happen?
[/quote]

Yip - I don't make stuff up for the fun of it, believe me.

I've done deps with three or four different bands recently, and at every one, at least one member of the band has said something along the lines of 'whoah, that's nice' etc., etc. And a bloke came up to me after one gig and said how nice he thought it looked. He may have been a muso, I dunno.

And do you know why I think this has happened?

Black box syndrome. It's been a scourge in bass-land for years now. Guitarists get lovely boutique amps, drummers get cool-looking kits... bass players get black boxes. Well, sod that. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413814595' post='2582211']

I've done deps with three or four different bands recently, and at every one, at least one member of the band has said something along the lines of 'whoah, that's nice' etc., etc. And a bloke came up to me after one gig and said how nice he thought it looked. He may have been a muso, I dunno.

Black box syndrome. It's been a scourge in bass-land for years now. Guitarists get lovely boutique amps, drummers get cool-looking kits... bass players get black boxes. Well, sod that. :)
[/quote]

SO BLOODY TRUE!
Hence my 2 x 210 of yellowness. Currently. :ph34r:

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413803001' post='2581991']
Barefaced Super Compact - 11kg
Bergantino CN112 - 12.7kg
TKS S112 - 10kg[/quote]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1413810448' post='2582134']
Hmm, maybe not the best chosen example there. The S112 is a small box for a 1x12" so the BF Super Midget would be a better comparison, at which point the weight difference is negligible. The BF should have more low-end output available too, presuming both makers specs are comparable.
[/quote]

Super Midget is 10.5kg, advertised weight.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413803001' post='2581991']
Barefaced Big Twin - 22.5kg - £999
Bergantino CN212 - 20.8kg - 1000
TKS S212 - 21kg - £412

Barefaced Super Compact - 11kg - £549
Barefaced Super Midget - 10.5kg - £599
Bergantino CN112 - 12.7kg - £625
TKS S112 - 10kg - £249
[/quote]

I didn't realise how much cheaper the TKS cabs were. I had to go back and make sure I'd done the conversion right.

I'm still buying Bergantino but that's not what this thread is about.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413813531' post='2582192']Is it jealousy, or what??[/quote]

It's incredulity.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413813531' post='2582192']Here's my contribution: [i]If you don't like the idea of buying a Barefaced cab, then don't.[/i][/quote]

Deal!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413816820' post='2582247']
I didn't realise how much cheaper the TKS cabs were. I had to go back and make sure I'd done the conversion right.
[/quote]

Less than £40 to ship a big cab, too. From Sweden. Where a pint of beer costs a million quid.*

[size=2]*Ok, so I do make stuff up sometimes.[/size]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413814595' post='2582211']

[/quote]

I've seen plenty of gtrs play thru old boxes because it sounds good to them... but then they rescued it from a tip or something... :lol:
Seriously, they use it because it was cheap/knocked up or thrown together and they like the sound... and their gtr playing tends to negate everything else.
The cabs in question aren't cheap tho, but IME, they don't sound the part either..as subjective as that can be.
So, people here are going to buy on what they feel is value for their set of criteria..and they generally do.

If people are going to compliment me on the sound, it is THE sound, first and foremost. The fact that they like the look of the cab
is ok as well. I doubt anyone is going to bother on looks alone, if the rest of it doesn't work, but they will tend to like the whole package.
And then... we get to talk about really important stuff,... like the bass and ME :lol:

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413817889' post='2582275']
Nor me. But as a fanboi I feel it necessary to stir things up a bit. :D
[/quote]

Barefaced [i]fanbois [/i]are [u][b]SO [/b][/u]last year.

2014 is the year of the TKS [i]fanboi [/i](or whatever is the Swedish for [i]fanboi[/i]). Do try to keep up.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1413807624' post='2582089']
My Genz neoxT 2x12 is only 24kg, not deal breaking extra weight over the barefaced with a much more professional finish to the cabinet all over.[/quote]

Interesting!

When I had a (gen 1) BFB Compact, the GB 212T became available at a price that I thought to good to refuse - so I ordered one. At £379 it was half the RRP.

I rehearsed it and gigged it - but was totally unable to get a sound that I liked or that was properly audible in the band mix (the support band's bassist used it too). It was also surprisingly heavy - a fact exacerbated by the (back on topic now!) stupidly placed handles! I also found the finish quality to be disappointing.

Switching back to the Compact allowed me to find "my sound" straight away and have a one-handed lift! :)

I had the Compact up for sale but after a nifty bit of negotiation decided to keep it and sell the GB instead!

That said - I've tried a few of the TKS offerings and have been impressed, and they are available new for the price of a (well) used BFB cab... :gas:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1413818889' post='2582307']
...the GB 212T...
[/quote]

...stupidly placed handles!
[/quote]

Now those cabs really did have ridiculously placed handles... I liked the tone (sold mine in the end to go for a 2x112 setup) but wheeling them around with the handles placed as they were was impossible... the handles did remain attached though....

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413816514' post='2582243']
Super Midget is 10.5kg, advertised weight.
[/quote]

And can move as much air as two S112s, going by both makers published specs. Whether you like 'em or not, people do buy them for a reason other than fanboi-ism or forum hype.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1413820456' post='2582341']

And can move as much air as two S112s, going by both makers published specs. Whether you like 'em or not, people do buy them for a reason other than fanboi-ism or forum hype.
[/quote]

Yep - tonal preference aside, a BF cab will undoubtedly go louder than the equivalent TKS (and I'm guessing Berg).

Interesting!

When I had a (gen 1) BFB Compact, the GB 212T became available at a price that I thought to good to refuse - so I ordered one. At £379 it was half the RRP.

I rehearsed it and gigged it - but was totally unable to get a sound that I liked or that was properly audible in the band mix (the support band's bassist used it too). It was also surprisingly heavy - a fact exacerbated by the (back on topic now!) stupidly placed handles! I also found the finish quality to be disappointing.

Switching back to the Compact allowed me to find "my sound" straight away and have a one-handed lift! :)

I had the Compact up for sale but after a nifty bit of negotiation decided to keep it and sell the GB instead!

That said - I've tried a few of the TKS offerings and have been impressed, and they are available new for the price of a (well) used BFB cab... :gas:
[/quote]
Those were a revamped second generation version of mine and other people have said similar things, maybe there was a reason they halved the priced? I think the production was moved and the finish was not so good, miss matched screws that were too long etc and the coating was changed,The newer style badges fell off on some too I think, I don't mind the side handles, tilt back and roll along on the rubber rattle free wheels, not all things are created equal especially if the axe is about to fall, I presume the drivers are nothing like mine either if it was heavy? I'm glad I didn't "upgrade" my early version now :)

Funnily enough guru Claber rates the early neoxT cab quite highly.

Like most brands the first ones are a bit heath Robinson, then they get really good, then the bean counters come in and spoil things, then fender close them down :lol:

EDIT, JUST CHECKED YOU HAD A NX2T NOT A NeoxT, Different drivers and different covering to mine yet the one you had was actually lighter than a Barefaced at 20.86kgs compared to mine at 24kg.

Edited by stingrayPete1977