Why become a member? ×

What exactly is a final price drop?

Sean

I see that there is an increasing trend to put "final price drop" on For Sale ads on the forum.

Does that mean that the seller won't take anything lower? If so, will it be withdrawn within a certain timeframe? Does it get pulled and stuck on eBay?

I know the market is challenging at the moment but what does this message mean, really?

That's what I thought but it smells a bit like sofa sales on TV. There was something for sale on here earlier this year that had the price lowered for the weekend only. If I'd have offered that price at 8am on the Monday morning would I have been too late?

I can't speak for other sellers. If I write that, I mean it, because below that price, I believe I'd be having the piss taken out of me. It'll then wait until the market is in a suitable state to accept that price, or I might withdraw it. To be honest, I've had most of the things I sell here up on other forums and Gumtree and to be even more honest had more success (if you'll pardon quoting their ad) not only in securing sales but also getting the price I want there than here.

Edited by neepheid

Prices do seem very low on BC at the moment. Some of the EBMM prices have dropped to all time lows.
I can understand people wanting to get as much as they can but after fees, PayPal and other hassles i still find BC a better experience for selling than Gumtree or eBay.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1410890039' post='2554411']
That's what I thought but it smells a bit like sofa sales on TV. There was something for sale on here earlier this year that had the price lowered for the weekend only. If I'd have offered that price at 8am on the Monday morning would I have been too late?
[/quote]

I think a lot of those are driven by "there's something I want to buy on eBay and that auction ends on Sunday night".

I can only speak for myself , but I tend to ignore all the extra "waffle" surrounding sales posts. What is it? what kind of condition is it? how much money are you asking for here and now? Everything else is just window dressing as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1410889055' post='2554395']
I see that there is an increasing trend to put "final price drop" on For Sale ads on the forum.

Does that mean that the seller won't take anything lower? If so, will it be withdrawn within a certain timeframe? Does it get pulled and stuck on eBay?

I know the market is challenging at the moment but what does this message mean, really?
[/quote]

It's just salesspeak. To be taken with a pinch of salt like all the other salesspeak thrown at you on a daily basis.

[/quote]

It`s my ambition to outlive DFS`s sale.

I'm considering selling a bass that is a bit special, I'll most likely state id not take less than I believe it's worth to me, if it does not sell I'll stick it under the bed for 20 years.

An approach I wish is took with my VW camper :)

So if a poster states final price drop I'm guessing that's exactly that, they'd rather keep it than take less , can't see a problem in that, just an honest up front stance.

Edited by lojo

[/quote]

I did the very same a couple of weeks back with my 70's Fender P. I made the decision to go with that approach due to a set of conditions concerning another instrument that I fancied buying. It didn't work out and my price reverted back to the pre offer figure.
So yes, if you had offered that price at 8 am on the Monday morning, you would have been too late. :)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1410938661' post='2554753']
It's a state of mind coupled with a point blank refusal to accept the reality of the situation in these chasened times.
[/quote]

Or, if you want to deal in absolutes which are bound to piss someone off, BC is full of lowballing chancers?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1410939257' post='2554765']
Or, if you want to deal in absolutes which are bound to piss someone off, BC is full of lowballing chancers?
[/quote]

Both are probably true to be honest. I have noticed quite a few people seem to grossly over-value their stuff though, a few times I've actually laughed when I've seen it, closely followed by the rapid bumps of final price drop after final price drop.

That's the joys of an open market place though - it all evens out in the end.

[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great reply.

The point of course is that it can mean so much. Sellers are wildly different in their approach, and will assume differently about their audience or audiences when crafting their texts.
Some of it is honest and dead serious, some is an attempt at manipulation... the works.

One of many explanations (which I think may not have been mentioned yet - sorry if it has) is that the seller assumes there are prospective buyers out there who do want the item, but "cynically" wait for the price drops, and then this expression means there is no point in waiting anymore.

BTW, for each and every item I've advertised here in Norway, I've got people asking about the item roughly two weeks after the ad timed out. They want to buy a price rather than an item, and many of them clearly are only in it for selling it at a higher price again.

Edited by BassTractor

[/quote] This there are plenty of low ball chancers on here now we all try to get a tiny bit off or do a deal but some times you get some idiot trying to offer you about half of what the bass is worth I don't know why this seems to be a trend now on BC as it didn't used to be that way.But with prices I only ever lower to the lowest I am willing to go I would rather keep my stuff than give it away as neepheid pointed out earlier about selling on gumtree and the like I agree it is much easier to sell on there than BC which is a shame really as it is nice dealing with other members and keeping an instrument in the fold so to speak

[/quote]

:lol:

Trouble is any commodity is only worth what somebody will pay for it, and sadly atm that is generally less than we assess its value.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1410945412' post='2554841']

The point of course is that it can mean so much. Sellers are wildly different in their approach, and will assume differently about their audience or audiences when crafting their texts.
Some of it is honest and dead serious, some is an attempt at manipulation... the works.
[/quote]

Exactly. And because a buyer can't be sure what the buyer really means in practice it means absolutely nothing and should be ignored.

It's all quite simple isn't it? If you like the asking price then accept it. If you don't, then offer the price you are prepared to pay.

Ignore all the 'low-balling' jibes, that's just disaffected sellers who happen to value the item at more than you do. Fine, let them sell it someone else for their asking price.

Keep the emotion out of things and it's all good . . . . Until you really, really, really want something and can only afford half the asking price ;)