Why become a member? ×

Which band, and when?

The Admiral

Having a big clear out at home and put the iPod for background, and found myself listening to Whitesnake, the early years. What a fantastic band they were - before the mousse and legwarmers caught hold. That run from 1980 through to 1985 had some classic tracks, and it set me thinking about how bands change over time, and if there were one band one could have played in, or play in - who would it be, and when : Highway to Hell era AC/DC for example, Metallica circa the Black Album, or perhaps Lamb era Genesis??

And while I'm at it : Neil Murray - what a player - absolutely fantastic stuff on those Whitesnake early albums - Fool for your Loving is a superb example how a great player can make a song, without your average Joe knowing he's doing it. Really drives the track. Still happily knocking it out in the pit at We will rock you in London I understand.

Unfortunately NM had left by the time I first saw them in 1981, along with Bernie Marsden. Makes you realise what a relative.y short period they were in the 'classic' lineup. However Colin Hodgkinson was no mug on bass so it was still a strong lineup, Cozy Powell on drums! Oddly enough I saw Murray & Powell years later as part of Peter Green's backing band when he started touring again after being very quiet for years. Now I think of it I also saw NM play with the Japanese rock band Vow Wow and I think he was in the 'almost tribute' band 'Company of Snakes' when I saw them (along with Marsden). Speaking of Marsden, if you haven't heard his latest album 'Shine' it's worth a listen, there's a rerecorded vs of Trouble on it feat. Coverdale.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1410008494' post='2545348']
the Japanese rock band Vow Wow
[/quote]
Aw man, they were a hell of a band. I saw them at a small venue in Reading back in 1986 pre-Murray, they tore the roof off. Their bassman at the time was Kenji, he had a great image -- black combat gear, red beret & mirror shades, giving it some in a Harris-galloping-fingerstylee on a (IIRC) Yamaha BB of some sort. Damn fine band.
Sorry, back on topic. My 'which band and when' is It Bites on the Once Around The World tour.

Edited by UglyDog

Saw Whitesnake a few times in the 80s. First was in 1980 with all the Ms (Marsden, Moody and Murray) which was, I guess, the classic lineup. Agree with the Admiral about the Fool For Your Loving bassline - really bubbles along without being intrusive and is a massive part of the track.

In later years, I used to like "Bomber" Hodgkinson's solo slot - seem to recall shenanigans involving an elastic strap. Saw them last when Murray had rejoined but it was all getting a bit too much like some kind of Coverdale & Sykes hair mouse expo at that point.

Edited by Baceface

Gosh. Vow Wow. haven given them a thought for about 20 years. I liked their cover of Helter Skelter, always preferred it to the Motley Crue one.

http://youtu.be/KinBq2wHYDg

I've always liked Deep Purple, I think they made (and continue to make) good music at all stages of their career. But DP mk II does it for me. DP mkIII was pretty damned good, but Roger Glover has to be my favourite rock bassist.

Talking of DP mklll, I liked the recorded output of that time and I thought Glenn Hughes was a great live bass player
for DP who brought the funk to Ian Paice..who was always funky watting to be let loose, but GH live vocally..????
can anyone link to a good live show of him singing because I couldn't find one ..and I spent some time looking..
I also read some of the comments on the You tube links and it was defintely a marmite subject as to whether mklll
was a good or VERY bad direction..???

[quote name='namefail' timestamp='1410076608' post='2545789']
Perhaps you were, iirc this track is credited to have Glaswegian backing vocals. :)

Rush Exit Stage Left 1981 Closer to the Heart

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mw_c9U7p14"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4Mw_c9U7p14[/url]
[/quote]
Unfortunately I wasn't there! :-(

Great thread. I'd say the two bass players I was the biggest fan of in my early-mid teens have been referenced here - Geddy Lee and Glenn Hughes.

I was more of a MKII Purple fan but thought Glenn was a fantastic player. Loved his clanking tone all over the Burn LP. Not sure if that was the Ric he played early on (it sounds very Ric-like to me) or the P-bass he used later on with Purple.

Saw Rush on the Exit... tour (sort of a continuation of the Moving Pictures Tour but the live LP jad just been released). Amazing band with a stunning bass player.

First off- Neil Murray- what a player. I really cut my bass teeth on his output with whitesnake, along with similar era maiden. Fool for your loving is one of my all time favourite lines. Just sublime.

In terms of which band- that's harder than it seems. Probably either master of puppets Metallica or on land and in the sea era cardiacs I think

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1410032701' post='2545605']
Neil Murray is one of the best rock bass players around. Search M3 on ya tube. Moody, Marsden, Murray and other guys doing classic Whitesnake material.[/quote]

Saw M3 twice at The Robin in Bilston. They did a meet n greet after it, Bernie & Neil were really nice chatty guys with plenty of time for their fans.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1410119334' post='2546373']
Metallica when they were making '…And Justice For All." Come to think of it though, my [i]cat[/i] could have sat in on the session and the result would be the same. :(
[/quote]

Aye, same with my cat and Newsted's cat. It's a racket. I wish Newsted had played it himself.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1410094493' post='2546003']

Me too B)
[/quote]
Cant believe there is someone else lol, was gonna say rolling stones, circa steel wheels, aerosmith, permanent vacation , van halen , the roth era or his solo albums, but think I lack the skills , in honesty probably lack it for the poison gig, but I recall they were a hard working band and promoted themselves well, put on great shows and did the whole sex drugs nrock nroll thing without suffering too many major disasters like the crue,

I could make a long list of bands and eras, but one suffices, so:

For me, there can only be one choice: ca 1973 era Jethro Tull.
As I've relayed elsewhere on these boards, I'd later send them some tapes, and did actually get a call commanding me to get my arse on a plane and be there next morning for an audition, and... I turned them down! :D
Worst thing I've done in my life, I'm sure.
Then again, I wouldn't have gotten the job, so in real life this was just a money saver. Funny though.