Why become a member? ×

what was the first number you gigged on a bass ?

essexbasscat

If various school functions count, then it could well have been [i]The Kids Aren't Alright[/i] by The Offspring. (We decided we wouldn't get away with [i]Longview[/i] by Green Day - I assure you I only championed it because it had a more interesting bassline!)

If not, then it would have been the slightly-more-classic [i]Alright Now[/i] by Free. I'm slightly ashamed to say I didn't get round to learning the bassline properly and just noodled my way through it. But I think I got away with it *wink-wink*

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Convinced my music teacher to let me play bass in the school orchestra rather than French horn and I think this was the first number of the concert.[/font][/color]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU1X3Wut-k0

Tutti Frutti by Little Richard, followed by another few other early rock and roll songs. It was the opening of a clothes shop, circa 1991. We were playing sitting on upturned paint tins in the loft, no one could see us - by design. Line up was bass, two acoustic guitars, and the "singer" playing most of the melodies on the recorder :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1406624413' post='2513024']
Nothing special but I will never forget. I was late into music, had my first public gig aged 50 in 2008. I opened the set playing the first notes of 'Gimmie Some Loving' and was as nervous as anything. After about 1 minute the nerves vanished and I discovered that I *really* loved it :)
[/quote]

Great, well known opening number mate. Especially if you have the keyboards too.

My first gigging band was an indie/funk/rock type thing called Kingskin. The first song we actually played live was one of our own called "Braindead". Sounded like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers would if they stopped caring :lol:

We also did a couple of covers that night... Where Did You Sleep Last Night (can't remember the original artist's name, we did a variation on the Nirvana version), and I blagged my way through Knocking On Heaven's Door when the singer decided to spring it upon us while we were about to leave the stage :unsure:

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1406627289' post='2513073']
Market Harborough working mens club....early 1975 rather embarrassingly this......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0[/media]
[/quote]

Don't be embarrassed, thats a crackin' choon! ooh reet takes me back that :)

1978. Deni Deni, never did figure the spelling!

I'm a green 17 year old, its a dark nite club we cleared the floor and Debs the lead singer who was in her mid twenties I think wore fishnets, a white blokes shirt, heels and not much else.....a gig I will never forget! ha

This:

[media]http://youtu.be/OnxkfLe4G74[/media]

…only kidding. It was probably some schmaltzy sh*t pop song; I fell into bass playing as a local Artiste lost his bassist a couple of weeks before a gig. I bought a bass and depped (up until a week before the gig I was a keyboard player) and have been playing bass since.

not schmaltzy sh*t pop though ;

Edited by paul_5

Been struggling to recall these but I've narrowed it down to the following possibilities:
First in front of any sort of 'public' audience would have been a blues jam night so it would either have been some hoary old 12 bar that i don't recall or possibly Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone'
First with a 'proper' band (but I don't think we got paid) probably With A little help From My Friends (Beatles vs with the Billy Shears intro)
First paying gig would have probably been Are You Gonna Go My Way.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1406665266' post='2513607']
Woodchopper's Ball - reading the dots - 1965. (It was with an Old Tyme Dance Band who paid VERY well!) B)
[/quote]

Would that be a (Jimmy) Lally arrangement by any chance?
Spent many a gig sat behind those arrangements in DJ's or red frilly shirt (donkeys years ago, of course) :D

Not me by the way, but I was supplied with one of those shirts and large bat. :lol:

[URL=http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/gwcmusic/media/143923017_zps160a4f4c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p657/gwcmusic/143923017_zps160a4f4c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by lowdown