Why become a member? ×

Band Member Avaliability Calenders

Hobbayne

I have been given the task of organising a band Calender. Basically, I am to get the dates from band members where they are not available for rehearsals, gigs etc and mark them in a calender.
I then want to email this to all the members of the band to add their own dates to it.
What is the best software for this? I am computer braindead! :(

I'm trying to get folks to use Google calendar as we can all add our info to it but thus far there's only me using it...it's a great idea and will work really well if only everyone actually uses it!

Horse, water, horse just not that thirsty at the mo :/

Edited by andydye

+1 for the Google calendar. In an ideal world, all the band members would have their own personal Google calendars and share them but that's just not going to happen, so I created one band calendar (and acquired a band email address in the process), then gave them all the details to be able to log in and fill it in. Works pretty well, but I do find I need to drum it into people to keep it up to date sometimes ;)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1401353274' post='2462637']
...I am to get the dates from band members where they are not available for rehearsals, gigs etc and mark them in a calendar.
[/quote]

Be sure to add a facility whereby if [size=4]too many unavailable dates are logged by a band member, that band member is sent an email telling them not to waste everyone's bloody time and either shape up or stop playing at being in a band![/size]

[size=4][quote name='andydye' timestamp='1401353728' post='2462644'][/size]I'm trying to get folks to use Google calendar as we can all add our info to it but thus far there's only me using it...
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Google calendar is good - but as Andy says - only if everyone uses it.[/size]
[size=4]Musicians are notoriously resistant to being organised for some reason.[/size]

Edited by discreet

We used Google calendar in my previous band. Or rather, we didn't - it was all set up properly so that everybody could see, access and edit it online, but only one person regularly updated it. In the end, we resorted to a wall planner that was pinned up at rehearsal, complete with re-usable coloured sticky things. At least it was reasonably accurate one time in a week.

Curious, isn't it. Plenty of musicians are happy to use all manner of sophisticated software for recording, editing and online collaboration, but not to be organised. As Discreet says, it's probably not the technology that puts people off - it's the prospect of having to be structured.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401355451' post='2462669']
Only works if everyone has a copy of Excel though.
[/quote]

Yeah, true. Like a Google Calendar only works for people with web browsers I suppose.

We use Google Calendar. Everyone has their own and visibility of each other's. You do get "malfunctions" though.
I have bee trying to get the band to use "Where's the Gig" as it looks really good.
http://www.wheresthegig.com/

I was pointed in the direction of teamup online calendars. Seems a bit easier than Google.

[url="http://www.teamup.com/help/tutorials.html"]http://www.teamup.com/help/tutorials.html[/url]

But, as with Google, it is only as good as the weakest link.

Another Google calendar user here. It hadn't been set up particularly well by whoever started it before I joined the band and I was initially being given duff login details by band leader but when i eventually got the right info it seems to be fairly idiot proof. Like everyone says it only works if everyone can access it and bothers to keep it updated. Have to admit i also keep a physical cheap (poundshop) paper diary that I use as a backup from the Google diary, that way I can also use it for social non band activities and immeditaley spot potential clashes.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1401356496' post='2462691']
I was pointed in the direction of teamup online calendars. Seems a bit easier than Google.

[url="http://www.teamup.com/help/tutorials.html"]http://www.teamup.co.../tutorials.html[/url]

But, as with Google, it is only as good as the weakest link.
[/quote]

Seconding this one. I don't use it for the bands I'm in, but have experience with Teamup. It's very simple, no need for logins for the technophobics! Better than Google Calendar for that reason imo.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1401355875' post='2462682']
Yeah, true. Like a Google Calendar only works for people with web browsers I suppose.
[/quote]

Not everyone has Excel.

1. I don't have any use for spreadsheet software therefore I don't have it

2. It costs money. If someone else wants me to use it then they'll need to buy me a copy.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1401355012' post='2462667']
I've got an excel spreadsheet shared in Dropbox. Again, it works perfectly if everyone uses it.
[/quote][size=4][quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401357304' post='2462711'][/size]Not everyone has Excel... It costs money. If someone else wants me to use it then they'll need to buy me a copy.
[/quote]

Kingsoft Spreadsheets is free and totally compatible with MS Excel. Been using it for months with no issues.

[url="http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/spreadsheets-free.html"]http://www.kingsofts...heets-free.html[/url]

Still no solution to getting everyone to use it, though! But the fact that it costs nothing must help, surely..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401357304' post='2462711']
Not everyone has Excel.

1. I don't have any use for spreadsheet software therefore I don't have it

2. It costs money. If someone else wants me to use it then they'll need to buy me a copy.
[/quote]

Open Office is free and compatible, and is what I use at home.

Another Google Calendar recommendation and ANOTHER warning that it is only as good as the people using it! It's a PITA for me as one of our band members just basically emails me when he has unavailable dates and expects me to update... he's using email FFS it is just as easy to log onto the calendar! :angry:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I'm trialling a 'Doodle' poll which just entails putting a tick in a box when you aren't available (which is all I need to know for planning on booking gigs). ;)[/size]

Goggle calender with one band login. If it isn't marked in the calendar we book it
and so it is upto everyone to keep it upto date. This may have a few initial problems
but jeez, it isn't hard once everyone sees the value in it.
And if people can't handle a calendar, then they aren't really going to be able to
handle being in a working committed band, IMO