Why become a member? ×

Are there any really 'good looking' basses?

Weststarx

Beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder. For me, this is the perfect bass shape and colour. Simple symmetry of the double cutaway with a 2+2 headstock. In shiny, high gloss, plain solid black - you can keep yer fancy woods :)

[attachment=159883:wash8.jpg]

Shame it was 2 lbs too heavy.

Well basses with natural wood tops have been in fashion for at least the last 10 years. Painted finishes can be found in pretty much any colour if you look hard enough. I guess from the things the OP has said he/she likes so far that translucent tints on fancy wood might float your boat?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397143380' post='2421132']
Check out Carvin's new Vanquish bass

I personally love a Musicman bass. Classic Stingray/Stingray/Sterling/Big Al and even the Bongo.....(yes the Bongo looks amazing in a bright colour).
[/quote]

That Vanquish looks awful IMO. What's up with those horns? It looks so out of proportion :blink:

I love Music Man too, and they've had some amazing finishes throughout the years, especially on their limited editions and awesome sparkle finishes. Sequoia Gold, Autumn Redburst, Autumn Redrise, Copperhead Bronze, the Dargie Delight versions...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1397135109' post='2421014']

I saw this at the London Bass show.... it looked amazing...
[/quote]
Although I'm sure it's lovely to play, and undoubtedly superbly made, it looks like someone threw up on it IMHO

•• yes I know I have boring and conventional tastes

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1397162890' post='2421450']
OOOOOOOOF! WHAT'S THAT?
[/quote]

It's a Warwick Pro Series (MiK) Star Bass. Unfortunately they've been discontinued, but you can still get the Rockbass version although it doesn't have the arch top and the 4-string model is only 32" scale otherwise it's the full-fat MiG Star Bass II with the associated eye-watering price tag.

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1397162873' post='2421448']
That Vanquish looks awful IMO. What's up with those horns? It looks so out of proportion :blink:

I love Music Man too, and they've had some amazing finishes throughout the years, especially on their limited editions and awesome sparkle finishes. Sequoia Gold, Autumn Redburst, Autumn Redrise, Copperhead Bronze, the Dargie Delight versions...

[/quote]

If my girlfriend saw those I'd be allowed to buy basses till I went broke

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1397184826' post='2421591']
Although I'm sure it's lovely to play, and undoubtedly superbly made, it looks like someone threw up on it IMHO

•• yes I know I have boring and conventional tastes
[/quote]

It did look very impressive in the flesh, the photo doesn't really do it justice... didn't get a chance to play it as it had already been sold.

I like a more traditional look as well as the more contemporary designs, I can see beauty in both approaches... except in a single cut.

I am liking the Fender Deluxe atm...
I fancy sunburst and tort, RW and if I can't
find the fender quality or general bass is up to it..
I'll get it custom made by someone who can.

That is this years goal but I don't really have to have one..just, want..!!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397197299' post='2421621']
It's a Warwick Pro Series (MiK) Star Bass. Unfortunately they've been discontinued, but you can still get the Rockbass version although it doesn't have the arch top and the 4-string model is only 32" scale otherwise it's the full-fat MiG Star Bass II with the associated eye-watering price tag.
[/quote]

Hmmm..... another bass to stalk on Ebay :)

Some of the examples shown here are pretty, sure, but not exciting looking in any way.
I like this one for instance, poor picture unfortunately but the quiolted maple top and transparent green lacquer really do the extreme bodyshape justice: