Why become a member? ×

Flat EQ

Kevin Dean

How do you know if it's "flat"? The manual might say that you've set all the EQ to "zero" or "does nothing" (sometimes anti clockwise, sometimes 12 o'clock) but that doesn't mean the amp isn't colouring the sound of your bass.

I generally find the EQ on amps to be pretty useful and would very rarely leave it "flat"

i use mine fairly flat (hartke ha2500) - dont use the graphic eq at all is permanently punched out - but use just a slight amount of boost on the low end slope and slight cut on the high end slope to give it a bit of extra oomph on the lows and cut some of the brightness from the top - also use a boss LMB-3 which adds a nice bit of extra colour to the tone - only time i will ever dabble with the eq is if we happen to be in a venue where the bass starts resonating and feeding back and will then try and adjust to compensate if possible

Depends on the amp, the cab, the bass, the room, the band...

But I always use my ears rather than my eyes - one of my pet hates is the unthinking use of a 'smile' on a graphic EQ, on the assumption that this will automatically sound 'good'.

I also use a MarkBass head with a Barefaced S12 and leave the eq knobs at noon and the filters mostly off.

As others have said, I doubt that is truly flat: instead, it's the signature sound of the amp & I like it. I also appreciate the lack of fiddling involved in getting a good sound.

I also use a MarkBass head with a Barefaced S12 and leave the eq knobs at noon and the filters mostly off.

As others have said, I doubt that is truly flat: instead, it's the signature sound of the amp & I like it. I also appreciate the lack of fiddling involved in getting a good sound.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1395762740' post='2405948']
How do you know if it's "flat"? The manual might say that you've set all the EQ to "zero" or "does nothing" (sometimes anti clockwise, sometimes 12 o'clock) but that doesn't mean the amp isn't colouring the sound of your bass.

I generally find the EQ on amps to be pretty useful and would very rarely leave it "flat"
[/quote]

[attachment=158592:MOMark.jpg] This has no EQ

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1395768474' post='2406048']
...one of my pet hates is the unthinking use of a 'smile' on a graphic EQ, on the assumption that this will automatically sound 'good'.
[/quote]

Mine too, that's going to be a mid-scoop and seriously compromise your audibility live.
I'm another flattie - or at least I have my EQ at 12 o'clock - whatever that means.
I'll boost low mids to be heard a bit more though, especially if the rest of the band are being cocks.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1395781997' post='2406332']
I play in lots of different places, so I just use the 'flat' setting as a starting off point and adjust until it sounds right.
[/quote]

Ditto. I also switch the bass I take out with me; depending on the band, the type of venue, colour of shirt I'm wearing or any other whim.
Sometimes I run out of EQ 'fiddle time' or just get bored and stop doing it. No one ever seems to notice anyway.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395781403' post='2406318']
Just because the amp has an EQ bypass or no EQ controls at all doesn't mean the circuitry in it isn't adding some"colour" to your sound. And anyone who thinks it isn't is somewhat naïve.
[/quote]
Agreed, but does anyone here really think that? If 'flat EQ' were to be interpreted as 'zero overall colouration' then no-one would be able to answer in the affirmative :-D

Edited by Roland Rock

GK MB500 into BF Super 12 V. As a starting point I use contour 12 o'clock, treble and high mid, cut at 10 o'clock, low mid and bass, cut at 11 o'clock. Then I set for room.
I have had a year with this rig to come to this starting point. A few frustrations in that year :P

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1395816477' post='2406558']
When combined with everything else that colours the sound e.g. pickups and cabs, I really think it's irrelevant which direction the lines on the knobs point. Adjust for your preferred sound and be happy :)
[/quote]

This. Everything in your signal chain from how you pluck the strings to where you place the speakers in the room colours the final sound. Worrying about the position of the EQ controls on your amp is pointless.