Why become a member? ×

Flat EQ

Kevin Dean

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1396011895' post='2408991']

So on every single amp you've ever used you set the eq the same? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Pretty much if you look at my post yesterday.

The eq just tailors the frequencies a touch, it won't alter the colour of the amp.

Which sounds a bit counter-intuitive.

However, what I mean, as pointed out above is, an SVT and a Hartakle sound different no matter how you EQ them. They'll even sound different depending on which cabs you use.

So yes. Set the EQ flat. That is the standard starting position. Then if you find certain frequencies are causing issues cut them. If you want to create a hump then boost one. It's not against the law.

That's the reason why you take YOUR bass to the shop and try before you buy and you select an amp that sounds good to your ears.

I bet the OP is wishing he'd never said anything now. Such a lot of fuss over semantics.

In answer to the original question, but amended to suit the pedants: I personally have never gigged with flat EQ, but I do sometimes [i]set all my amp's tone controls to zero[/i].
Is that better?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1396089189' post='2409785']
... and if you hired a studio for a day would you expect to find all the controls on the desk at their zero position (not only the EQ) or would you not care If the last engineer had left everything all over the place?
[/quote]

Desks are different though. They're supposed to have transparent pre amps. If all the pre amps had humps at 2kHz to cater for vocals they'd be useless for any other instrument.

Most bass amps have characteristics designed in for Bass guitars. So setting your amp flat is taking advantage of those characteristics. If you don't like them, then you need to select a different amp.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1396090561' post='2409804']
Desks are different though. They're supposed to have transparent pre amps. If all the pre amps had humps at 2kHz to cater for vocals they'd be useless for any other instrument.

Most bass amps have characteristics designed in for Bass guitars. So setting your amp flat is taking advantage of those characteristics. If you don't like them, then you need to select a different amp.
[/quote]
Desks aren't different in the sense that I'd expect to start from zero.

Personally I think it'd be instructive to anybody to plug their bass into a mixer, through a di, and listen to the tone difference. Any decent pa rig should be aiming for low distortion (transparency) and, having done this, it felt immediately clear how much any bass amp colours this.

It could be argued that the dosh you pay for your bass amp is that default colouration to the tone. The EQ is the table salt, pepper and condiment that you add, to your taste, to chef's preamp circuit dish.

Edited by subrob

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1396091962' post='2409823']

Desks aren't different in the sense that I'd expect to start from zero.
[/quote]

In a live situation I would engage the high pass filter on practically everything though.

I suppose it depends on why you are selecting a particular default stance (other than everything flat) on your bass amp.

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1396095008' post='2409874']
Personally I think it'd be instructive to anybody to plug their bass into a mixer, through a di, and listen to the tone difference. Any decent pa rig should be aiming for low distortion (transparency) and, having done this, it felt immediately clear how much any bass amp colours this.

It could be argued that the dosh you pay for your bass amp is that default colouration to the tone. The EQ is the table salt, pepper and condiment that you add, to your taste, to chef's preamp circuit dish.
[/quote]

Definitely. I think the sound I get from my bass when I plug it into my sound card on my PC is what I was aiming at when I bought my amp and cab. It's close.

That's why you can get amp simulator plug-ins.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1395816477' post='2406558']
When combined with everything else that colours the sound e.g. pickups and cabs, I really think it's irrelevant which direction the lines on the knobs point. Adjust for your preferred sound and be happy :)
[/quote]Yep, my Hartke, GK, MM setup is set as flat as a witches tit and sounds thunderous.

Forget the idea that 'flat' means anything 90% of the time other that you have centred the knobs or para EQ.
If you have any sort of filters, then these will 'map' a bias for tone and you will have a degree of scope
but these are also limiting in their own way. Not unuseful for a quick EQ, but there is a reason
why pro amps tend to have straight dials, or should have... IMO.
Most amps have a natural bias/colour and this can be the amp brand sound and are not transparent.
Again not particularly a bad thing otherwise all amps would sound pretty samey.. IMO.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1396295763' post='2412060']
Sat night gig, different venue, VERY different eq settings. Every time I think I'm sorted a new gig comes along that needs different eq'ing. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Which is exactly why bass amps have EQ! :) Setting the controls "flat" is just a starting point.

• 2 weeks later...