Why become a member? ×

How many basses used in a gig ?

Kevin Dean

Now I have a new bass that enables me to play some of the songs without having to D tune I have the option of using a Capo to play the rest of the set or just use my other bass . I like the idea of just using one bass as one is 36" scale & the other 34" . I wonder if swapping basses makes you loose continuity in some way. what do yo ladies & gents think .?

If your talking continuity of the show you need to be organised, an instrument change needs to be planned and rehearsed. If you mean changing basses makes playing difficult I don't think so. I went from my short scale mustang to my EUB and back with no problem tonight. Sorry, last night now.

Go for it - I swap between DB and EB all through the set, we just make sure there's either a gap of talking or a song with a drum or guitar intro long enough for the few seconds needed; I have them both through a boss line switcher so it's a case of swap bass hit foot switch and off I go

Years agoi played with a band where I'd use tge following basses during the set:

5 string bass (Sei Bass or Fender)
Fretless bass
Hofner "Beatle" bass
Chapman Stick
Double Bass

The instruments sounded great for their respective tunes, and changing over wasn't too much hassle.

The biggest problem was the physical space required to store them, and also the room needed to transport them.

I swap between fretted and fretless 5 strings - takes about 5 seconds from pressing the mute button. Try to arrange your set where you have a handful of each type so you're not switching every other song. Also as previously mentioned, guitar or drum intros give you a bit of breathing space.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391306491' post='2355672']
Nah. :)

Provided you're organised and know when you have to change you'll be able to do it in about 5 seconds while the singer is introducing the next song. :)
[/quote]

this

oh and the guitarist will [b]always[/b] be faffing about with settings too and usually twice as long as the singer takes to introduce the next number

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1391307155' post='2355674']
One 4 string bass and one D-tuner. That's all I need.

Used 5, 6, 8 & 12 string basses for years but I really only need one 4 string to do everything
[/quote] What D tuner do you use . I've tried several & haven't liked any of them .

On our current set, I have a switch between my fretted in standard tuning, to my fretless for two tracks, then back to my fretted which needs to be drop tuned to D..... It's no issue at all. As BobVBass said, quick switch of a switcher and away to go.

I use my GT10b and have a switch to switch basses, tuning also done through the pedal. Can do it all really quickly with no gaps between songs.

As long as you practice the switches it's no issue.

Watching some players (Rich Robinson in the Black Crowes springs to mind) they change after every song. I have a gig next week where I'm on upright bass and bas guitar so I'll let you know ;) For a pub gig I think more than 2 basses it can start to get a bit OTT but I guess players do what they feel is right.

I tried using a 5 string & just didn't like it , I went to see a local pub band the other day & the bass player had 5 basses only the fret less was noticed sound wise & he seemed a bit flustered having to change basses ,He played one song withe the strap twisted & dropped another bass :( .

My cover band play in 3 different tunings. Eb, drop C#, and drop B.

I play one bass for the first two tunings, just retuning the bottom string, then for the drop B stuff I just play a 5 or 6 string in standard tuning. Swapping basses and checking tuning can be done in seconds now I'm used to it.

...though I have forgotten to swap before and had to improvise :lol:

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1391423729' post='2356861']
I've used HipShot on all my basses and not had a problem, although there is a little trick to tuning it correctly.
[/quote]I use a HipShot too, so come on, don't keep it to yourself, what's the "trick"?

One bass at the moment. I used to turn up with a spare but it rapidly became evident I was neverr going to be given enough stage room to actually have a spare accessible if anything went wrong so it's just a P at present. Nothing much to go wrong on a passive P anyway, I carry a spare set of strings but that's it.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1391423729' post='2356861']
I've used HipShot on all my basses and not had a problem, although there is a little trick to tuning it correctly.
[/quote]
[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1391433530' post='2357048']
I use a HipShot too, so come on, don't keep it to yourself, what's the "trick"?
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1391445451' post='2357225']
Yes, what trick? Cough up now.
[/quote]
Another happy Hipshot user - awaiting the reveal :rolleyes: