Why become a member? ×

No set list?

Grassie

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389011686' post='2328678']
We use a set list and 99% of the time we stick to it. Usually the set list is designed for the gig, so can vary.

All the big touring bands plan the set. That's how you put on a professional show.

What we play is designed to flow through the set from start to finish. A set isn't a collections of numbers it's a "whole" thing so, unless you're very good at making it up on the spur of the moment, should be planned.

Discussing the numbers on stage is very amateurish, arguing is even worse, and makes the band look bad. Why would you want to do that?
[/quote]

Absolutely!

We also always use a set list specifically designed for the gig in question and that's what we'll rehearse before the gig to see how it works. We also choose the songs to explicitly minimise the changeovers before each song so that we can play right through without any gaps if necessary. As the OP acknowledges, a pause between songs can really kill things.

Sounds like the OP is seriously letting themselves down for the daftest of reasons.

Of course, we spoil all our thought, preparation and showmanship by actually playing, but that's another topic. :blink: :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389011686' post='2328678'] All the big touring bands plan the set. That's how you put on a professional show. [/quote]

Fugazi never used a setlist.
They managed to have quite a successful career.

[quote][font=Georgia, serif][size=4]Pitchfork: Yeah, you play without set lists. Is part of the communication that goes on knowing what you're gonna do next? You don't even talk about what you'll be playing each night?[/size][/font][font=Georgia, serif][size=4]
Picciotto: Yeah, we have signals and we have... we have tons of stuff.[/size][/font][font=Georgia, serif][size=4]
Pitchfork: Maybe what you've played the night before you wouldn't want to repeat as much?[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia, serif][size=4]Picciotto: Alternating between the vocalists is kind of a template, and right before we go onstage, we pick the first song. So, let's say, "Alright, we're gonna start with 'Break'-- we know Ian's going to sing that, so we know that I'm gonna sing the second one, and people should be paying attention to what I'm doing." And then some songs... like "Number 5" has a hand signal; "Oh" has a hand signal. You know, it's just a weird language that we've developed.[/size][/font][/quote]

Originals band, but the way we do it is one person has 'Control' of the order we are going to play the songs in. Usually me or the singer, but then the songs are still tailored to the audience reaction at the time.

Guitarists saying 'Wait I need to tune' is the thing that bothers me most though. Im no guitarist but unless you knock those pegs, need to downtune or there's something wrong with your instrument you shouldn't need to tune for a 40 minute set?

I simpathise with the OP... we usually organise it that the person whom got the gig, sorts out the set list. Obviously they need to take in to account issues such as tunings, keys and changes.

I get intensively irritated with gaps inbetween songs, more than 3 seconds and the whole vibe is lost IMHO. I have managed to convinse the current band to do hald of both sets using segues which is working really well. It does need some practice though and you mentally need to have your sh*t together!

Agree also that set list is essential. As mentioned by most it's fine to wander a bit from it but it's there to keep structure to proceedings and keep things slick. I call any changes in our band and everyone goes with it. Sometimes we do most of the whole 1st set as a big medley to keep people up. Guitarists who insist on regular axe changes boil my piss and if he/she insisted on doing it I'd tell them to go start their own ego trip project and stop spoiling mine.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1389024644' post='2328938']
Guitarists who insist on regular axe changes boil my piss and if he/she insisted on doing it I'd tell them to go start their own ego trip project and stop spoiling mine.
[/quote]

That's a bit unfair (unless it is meant in jest...). My point from earlier is that the running order of the set can be changed to accommodate instrument changes - so instead of regularly swapping back and forth between guitars (or basses), all the songs that feature those particular instruments can be put together (to an extent).

But yes, with all the effects available to guitarists (and to bassists to a lesser degree), changing instruments is less important than it used to be...

My first proper gig was in a fucntion band with a very established local act.
The had all the numbers on a list on the floor and we used to follow the leaders lead...but that was the only time EVER I have come across
an act that could read and set the mood perfectly. I didn't appreciate it at the time as the skill it was...but I do know.
So, for the rest of us, we rehearse the show.... and write it in advance.
If that is a set down the pub, then so be it...but for bigger gigs it is critical, IMO.
If you do pubs, and want to do better paying gigs...not necessarily functions, then you need a planned show...IMO otherwise what disguishes your pub gig for pub money
from other better paid gigs?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1389008369' post='2328617']
If you are going to work towards shows, rather than pub sets then you need to try and give the audience something more to justify ticket prices.
[/quote]

Entirely this. There is a tendency for bands to view gigs as merely being the sequential musical presentation of individual songs. Perhaps this is because the main focus is on frantically trying to remember the changes. Or maybe because a professional approach to presentation is viewed as 'showing off' or 'unspontaneous'. Or because the bandleader(s) are clueless chumps.

Whatever the reason, my heart sinks when bands shamble through their sets, glumly staring at their instruments and bleating 'What are we going to do next?'. If I was expected to watch a band rehearse for 90 minutes I'd expect them to pay [i]me[/i].

One band I was in, I tried to broach the subject of presentation. The guitarist's response was that he would wear a waistcoat and an Australian hat with dangly corks. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389010632' post='2328656']
Usually have a set list but it is 'flexible', depending on the atmosphere.
[/quote]

This is pretty much how we approach it. We tend to put songs in blocks of three, either segueing between them or with absolutely minimal breaks.

When we do deviate it's at the discretion of the singer, who takes the on-stage leadership role. There is no, repeat no, disagreement on stage. That can be sorted out later.
With so much of the world appearing to be a petty shambles why would anyone want to see that in the name of entertainment? I know I don't.

Edited by Len_derby

I've just left (albeit on ok terms) with the classic rock covers band I've played with for the last 3 years because of the two guitards buggering about with the set list. In this case it was more chopping and changing on the fly with arguments between them when there was a 'conflict'. The final straw for me was the argument at the pre XMas gig when the lead guitard had a strop and wouldn't play the encore....unprofessional.

I work with a singer who does the 'long gap whilst he thinks of a tune' nonsense. The guitarist and I hate it, and now we stand there looking at him, and keep askling him what's next, putting him under a bit of pressure. Unfortunately, this tw*t of a singer won't use set lists and is an unproffessional idiot who really shouldn't be dealing with the public. But the gig pays bills. It's a good job the rest of the band can really play.

Lots of interesting comments folks, thank you. I need to add a few things though. We are all tuned down half a step right through the gig ("to help with the vocals") but an interesting point is that there are at least two tunes (by the same band) where the singer will play these songs two steps up, which means that the song is now being played half a step [i]above[/i] the original. There are also other songs in the set where capos are used by the singer but not the non-singing guitarist. My tuning does not change at all during the set, nor does my bass. Amp settings and PA settings are fiddled with mid-song. We rarely rehearse as our drummer works odd shifts throughout the week - I do alternate earlies and lates and have always made myself available during a week of early shift. I have tried to explain to the others that there really isn't anything stopping them from rehearsing without me when I'm on a late shift. We are the LOUDEST F***ING BAND I've ever played in - feedback is a constant problem, as is the level allowed for the drums. The guitars are turned up so they can be heard over the drums, the vocals are turned up so they can be heard over the guitars and drums. I've had to buy an extension cab for my GK MB210 combo so that I can hear myself and also because I don't want to blow the thing up trying to compete with this lot. I'm now up to 500w. We play in small pubs, nothing bigger than your average social club, so why the volume levels have to be so high is beyond me.

I actually think having a set order to play songs is a bad idea. Half the battle with entertaining punters is being able to read the room, ie, if you play a venue where songs X,Y & Z always go down well why risk playing them earlier in the night and having someone ask for them again later in the night?
You should try and get your bandmates to agree on blocks of 3-4 song and run through the set in that manner.

Not having a fixed set list is fine but you do have to have some agreement as to how you quickly choose and progress without arguement, if that's not possible then perhaps singer/guitarist have to alternate who's running things each gig etc.

Last thing you want is a ruck over song choice during a gig

And it depends how well you can read the mood of the evening.
As I say, I have only come across one act who made it work.

We plan the event for light and shade, big start or good start or low key start ...and we will even choose
songs to do on this basis..as in, opening number only.
The easiest thing is the ending.... as that is almost a given.
The pace of the rest of the show is quite a 'skill', IMO.

So the idea is for the band to set/determine the tone, rather than follow, react to it...
And this is also why you would do well to play straight thru ...ore else you will have
do it all twice... which is a pain, plus it gives people excuses to drop off...
all to be avoided, IMO...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1389095886' post='2329762']
IME no set list works only if ONE person calls the next song and their word is THE LAW.

Anything else reduces your band to strictly amateur hour.
[/quote]

This. We have setlists for the wedding/function band at least a week in advance, but that's just curtesy and to make sure any deps are 100% up to speed (and we do have a 100+ song list to go at), but on the night the bandleader will call the order as he judges the room, and so the order might change. We don't have more than 5 seconds between songs, again unless the singer/bandleader is talking to the audience. When we gig the originals stuff, we have a set list which stays that way.