Why become a member? ×

No set list?

Grassie

We have a set list, but it's stuck too maybe a little too rigidly at times, I feel that maybe we lose the room occasionally by not being flexible. It may well confuse the guitarists though, who already frustrate me at times with a multitude of sins, (rehearsing riffs at audible volumes, audible tuning, audible searching for "that" sound, general noodling- all between songs) So I'll stick with the rigid set list.

We have had a good chat (the singer, drummer and I lecturing them) about the professionalism being lifted at the last rehearsal so we'll see if it improves.

I'm with mcnach and IrieGnome for the most part.

Doesn't sound like the lack of a set list is the real problem. Your 2 guitards need to put their handbags away, sort their respective territories out and have a think why they're doing this in the first place.

Band I play in most hasn't had a set list in the last 20 years, and our list is 150+. We all agree on the first 3 over a pre-gig pint or while setting up then wing it by tacit, good-natured agreement. Not often a problem, as its supposed to be a joint venture (as in communal, not herbal). Mind you, we are all tuned to concert, don't use any software or complicated rigs/patch changing and get along very well onstage and off.

If everyone is aware of the potential presentational issues, then you'll just get it done. All post mortems need to be post-gig, never while playing.

Edited by bassninja

I play in a band where the singer and the guitarist are married. They never row at home, but as soon as they get on stage and it's time to pick a song to play.......they're off!

A couple of years ago, at an open air gig in front of 1,000 people, Dana (the singer), saw that her husband (the guitarist) had bummed a fag off somebody and lit up on stage. She strode over and slapped the thing out of his mouth. And then went on to harague him in front of the crowd. The punters loved it and thought it was part of the act.

I've played a couple of gigs where they've rowed about a guitar solo going on too long and she's called a taxi and effed off in the middle of the set. Leaving the rest of the band, and her long suffering hubbie, to struggle on without her. Since then, if she gets into a strop on stage, I just shout 'Taxi for Dana!'.

They love each other really.......!? :blink:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389485230' post='2334786']
Sorry but I'd never play with her again after pulling an amateurish stunt like that.
[/quote]

Most of her 'episodes' were at piddily little gigs that didn't really matter. Of course I'd be mightily pished off if she took a strop in the middle of a tour or at a festival gig, where I ended up out of pocket. So far she's been very professional at those.

hmmm used to play with a drummer who had a drink problem... and would be so p****** that a p** break
was needed exactly when it was needed.
We booked a horn section and the first gig in a marquee... I looked round to see why the drums had stopped
and his backside was disappearing under the marquee panel to take this 'break'.
The song was Knock on wood... and I thought we'd blown it with the horn section, but they saw the funny side and stuck around
and are still with the band 12 years later... ( the drummer isn't )

The drummer was known as this sort of character and I have zillions of stories....BUT.. I did have to warn him that I wouldn't tolerate
losing money because of him...
I left because they started to get good function money and he wasn't able to adhere to that discipline...

Very good player and alright guy.... but he is a drunk. I don't need that on gigs.

I think we only got away with it on 'piddly' little gigs as the audience all knew and loved him..but you couldn't have that away from that environment..and I didn't..

[quote]...piddly gigs...[/quote]

I understand the comments about "piddly" gigs (I've done enough of them!) but if only one person has turned up to see the band, in my opinion, that requires the full attention, commitment and energy of any band I'm in. I know it doesn't always work like that, but it's our failure, with no excuses, if we slack just because it's a "piddly" gig.

I'd also like to know from the bands who "judge" the room and alter the set list accordingly, what would have happened if you'd stuck to the set list?

So how good was your set list in the first place and why would you be playing numbers that wouldn't work in the first place?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389524801' post='2334978']
I'd also like to know from the bands who "judge" the room and alter the set list accordingly, what would have happened if you'd stuck to the set list?

So how good was your set list in the first place and why would you be playing numbers that wouldn't work in the first place?
[/quote]

It's not whether a song works or not, it's about when you think it's the right moment for it.

We try to arrange songs in a way that is like a trip. We start generally with something up-tempo, to get people's attention (in a different gig maybe we start quietly and build up progressively, it depends), and try to set the pace with some slower ones at what we think are the right times etc. However, if you have in front of you a crowd that are going crazy dancing and you see they want more of that... then you give them more of that, you don't kill the vibe by slowing the pace or inserting a song that yo know people like but is not so danceable just because it's "on the set list".

We run the set as per how we want to run the gig...
so the agenda is all ours...
The worse thing about this with a pub set of 2x45 is that you have to let the first set go and do it all over again.

For certain gigs we don't like to do 2 sets but then again 2 hrs in one hit is very draining...

Some gigs you can compromise, some you can't.... but I think the ability or lack of...being able to set the tone
will impact of the shows you do and the money you get.

Basically, if bands NEVER get away from a pub set...then they'll never get away from pub money.

Bands round here may think £350-450 for pub beer festival is good as it is £100 plus more than a pub money, but
then all you do is get event organisers say they know what you earn in a pub..why should they pay more for more of the same..???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1389532191' post='2335115']
....We run the set as per how we want to run the gig....so the agenda is all ours....
[/quote]

+1

We might drop a slow number if the floor is full but we've used our experience to design the set and that's what we play.

We have paced the gig and we've been doing this long enough to be able to bet on our judgement.

I see it as part of being in a band with a "professional" approach.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389524801' post='2334978']

[/quote]

They flow would be too stop/start. Every venue/pub/town has certain songs which always go down well. The trick is keeping the punters entertained for an hour and a half until you bring out the real crowd pleasers for the final 30-45 minutes. Generally we work by the rule, "When you have them dancing on the pool tables you've nailed the intensity. When they start kicking 7 shades of sh*te out of each other you pull it back a bit".

I went to a jam session the other week. There were no setlists or tune names written down. It was a bit confusing because no one could remember the names of any tunes they knew.

Caught in the headlight moment.

Of course walking home tunes just came flooding into my head.

If you're confident you'll never have that kind of brain fade you don't need a setlist. I'd have a setlist, even if I played all the right snags but in the wrong order.

I've also been in bands where some numbers have been rehearsed to death, written on the setlist, but somehow the singer has never thought 'the noment was right for them'.

We never dropped the songs, they just never got played! What's that about?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389533325' post='2335136']
+1

We might drop a slow number if the floor is full but we've used our experience to design the set and that's what we play.

We have paced the gig and we've been doing this long enough to be able to bet on our judgement.

I see it as part of being in a band with a "professional" approach.
[/quote]

100%...

If you can't really cut down your playing time...and that is the real hard part, and you have to do it straight thru... as it is easy to lose control otherwise...
then we find a slow section absolutely mandatory....

We pick numbers to add to the set on the basis of where we think we will put them.
We have about 5 barnstorming closers, openers mid setters, ....
You can't pick or play all your best numbers all the time....
as you will end up pretty predictable otherwise and people will have seen all your best moves in about 3 gigs..

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1389477070' post='2334682']
I play in a band where the singer and the guitarist are married. They never row at home, but as soon as they get on stage and it's time to pick a song to play.......they're off!

A couple of years ago, at an open air gig in front of 1,000 people, Dana (the singer), saw that her husband (the guitarist) had bummed a fag off somebody and lit up on stage. She strode over and slapped the thing out of his mouth. And then went on to harague him in front of the crowd. The punters loved it and thought it was part of the act.

I've played a couple of gigs where they've rowed about a guitar solo going on too long and she's called a taxi and effed off in the middle of the set. Leaving the rest of the band, and her long suffering hubbie, to struggle on without her. Since then, if she gets into a strop on stage, I just shout 'Taxi for Dana!'.

They love each other really.......!? :blink:
[/quote]
I really have nothing to complain about then, do I? ;)