Why become a member? ×

Everyones An Expert.

Mr Stinky

I'm speaking as a relative newbie to playing live here.

A friends band recently lost their bass player for a couple of weeks due to illness. To cover existing gigs, me and another guy are stepping in to help out as we know most of the set between us.

We played on Saturday night and it went quite well as we'd never played together before. However, after one of my spots, this 'expert' player decided to give me a lecture about economy of motion and correct fingering, citing the E string run-up in Tush. This wasn't a couple of comments, this was a university thesis standard verbal essay. He went on and on almost pushing me to a 'swift and to the point verbal retort'.

Is it really that important to use the correct fingering? My left pinky isn't that useful anyway due to a mis-spent youth, and how would you deal with this sort of character?

As someone who watched a lot of Pub Rock in London in the 70s i would have loved, no make that payed money to see anyone offer advice on how to play to The 101ers or The Stranglers. I can just see what Joe Strummer's reaction would have been to a bit of 'advice' and Hugh and JJ just standing there while someone told them of their musical shortcomings before they threw him through the pub doors. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388404525' post='2321530']
Lets face it. You're the one up on stage playing and he's the guy without a gig on a Saturday night. I wonder why?
[/quote]

That's always my philosophy now - slightly off topic but when I first started gigging there was, what I considered to be, an awesome bass player doing the rounds on our local circuit - whenever he came into the pub I'd often go to pieces for about 3 or 4 songs and then I'd settle down and avoid eye contact with said player at all costs. It always amazed me just how often he'd turn up to our gigs and after speaking to him he said he used to watch what/how I was playing and use the lines/fills in his band.

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1388403482' post='2321504']
Is it really that important to use the correct fingering?
[/quote]

Nope. That is: if you can comfortably play the stuff you want to play, and don't strain yer andromeda (or wha' evvah), then no. But the moment you hear or feel you have trouble with your timing - or other issues - then fingering can be a great tool rather than a nuisance.

As an organist I'm used to choose fingering exactly depending on the effect I wanna reach - mostly the fingering that will most naturally result in the timing I was after anyway. I suppose much of that would go for bass too, but personally haven't needed it on my low E yet.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1388404126' post='2321522']
Unsolicited advice is rarely welcome. Smile, say 'excuse me' and go off to do something more interesting. Like going to the toilet.
[/quote]

My advice to you: quit giving him unsolicited advice!! :P
(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1388408091' post='2321605']
Just ask him: "If you're so smart, why ain't you rich?"
[/quote]
... and how come you ain't playing tonight!

Alternatively: 'Please don't let let me keep you a moment longer from your urgent search for someone who gives a £$%^ what you think'.

Id most likely tell the guy, sorry I cant take this on right now (after a gig in a crowd) and suggest getting together to have a session at someones house, if he follows up on this (which might be unlikely) then you may learn something in the correct setting to do so.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1388409616' post='2321640']
Id most likely tell the guy, sorry I cant take this on right now (after a gig in a crowd) and suggest getting together to have a session at someones house, if he follows up on this (which might be unlikely) then you may learn something in the correct setting to do so.
[/quote]
...and you'd get to see him in his latex gimp suit :o

I'd have ignored the crap out of him. That wasn't the time or the place to discuss technique.
It WAS the time and place to be relaxed and have a couple of pints while enjoying the band.

The question you should have asked him is this:

IS THAT YOU MOM?