Why become a member? ×

The greatest Heavy Rock LP ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386857600' post='2305438']
Rainbow Rising.

Just spotified it and had forgotten how good it is. Marvellous stuff!
[/quote]
Absolutely!

When I was a kid, that was the album that made me want to be in a band - I was wanted to be part of something that could sound like that...

Guest bassman7755

Animal Magnetism - Scorpions

Heaven and hell - Black Sabbath

Number of the Beast - Maiden.

Back in Black - AC/ DC

IMO a lot of bands produced their best work following some significant lineup change.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386864710' post='2305640']
Made in Japan was my first experience of Deep Purple and Heavy Rock in general and it was a revelation! Strangely, though, I never bought that LP!!
[/quote]

I bought several copies of Made in Japan, as I kept wearing them out from constantly playing it non stop. Much to my parents annoyance :P

I loved that album !

Rainbow Rising - classic! Not a duff song on it. :)

Deep Purple's Made In Japan, Hawkwind's Space Ritual, Black Sabbath's Paranoid also rule. And there was a band called Led Zeppelin who had a rather catchy fourth album. B)

Crap, forgot AC/DC: Highway To Hell, or If You Want Blood. Bon Scott all the way. Forget that screecher they've got now.

Edited by Prunesquallor

Trouble is, some people are gonna say'its not heavy rock.. It's too metal' etc. some bands like priest, started out heavy rock, but are metal only now ;)
Still, it is impossible to say only one album , so I will list a few; ac/dc powerage. .. Their best imho
Sabbath vol4
Rush- 21 12
Priest-sad wigs of destiny
Ted Nugent-double live gonzo
Queensryche-rage for order
Led zep 4? Excluding stairway to hendon
Hawkwind - do re mi
Groundhogs -split
Atomic rooster- death walks behind you/ in hearing of
Purple- made in japan/ in rock
Stray - suicide
The doors ??
UFO - obsession

Some albums (sabotage/ Montrose /rainbow )had a few poor tracks on side 2 which prevented them for being great. Side 1 would be awesome, and an ep would have been best ever. Imho of course;) btw forgot the rods first album.. Awesome

Played 'Made in Japan' a couple of weeks ago on vinyl with the volume at 11 and It sounds every bit as good now as it did back in the day. It is an honest live recording with no overdubs. The sound on this record is sensational and the musicianship terrific. Fantastic songs. It ticks all the boxes for me. However albums of this era do not transfer well onto CD i.m.o.

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386870805' post='2305777']
Trouble is, some people are gonna say'its not heavy rock.. It's too metal' etc. some bands like priest, started out heavy rock, but are metal only now ;)
Still, it is impossible to say only one album , so I will list a few; ac/dc powerage. .. Their best imho
Sabbath vol4
Rush- 21 12
Priest-sad wigs of destiny
Ted Nugent-double live gonzo
Queensryche-rage for order
Led zep 4? Excluding stairway to hendon
Hawkwind - do re mi
Groundhogs -split
Atomic rooster- death walks behind you/ in hearing of
Purple- made in japan/ in rock
Stray - suicide
The doors ??
UFO - obsession

Some albums (sabotage/ Montrose /rainbow )had a few poor tracks on side 2 which prevented them for being great. Side 1 would be awesome, and an ep would have been best ever. Imho of course;) btw forgot the rods first album.. Awesome
[/quote]

Some great stuff there.

Stray! Bloody brilliant

Groundhogs - a personal favourite.

Sabbath went downhill after Vol 4 imo.

Master of Reality and the 1st album were my rock birthright

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1386864609' post='2305638']
Made in Japan has always been the best of Deep Purple IMO.
[/quote]Yeah a great album, Made In Europe is another great Purps album too. Another vote for Live & Dangerous (I'm detecting a theme here) Rainbow Live was very good also. Still sticking with the live theme, Sammy Hagar Loud & Clear is wonderful. Van Halen 1 is right up there for me (their live album isn't that great IMO) Metallica the black album, ooh I could go on. An album that wouldn't count as Heavy Rock in my book, but is still a great rock album, is Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish; sod this, I'm off to listen to Bill Nelson and the boys!