Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Foam Party

Dropzone

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386772278' post='2304288']
The troublesome handles, the dodgy feet, the spewing of foam, the Radio Shack looks.

You know what guys, none of this matters. Did anybody mention how incredibly light they are? (and what with the shedding of foam, they get lighter the older they get! RESULT!)
[/quote]

:rolleyes: alright, alright, yes, we got it: you are not a fan :P

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1386837896' post='2305074']
I only meant I see the argument starting again, I have never contributed to any of them, I have my opinion but I accept and tolerate others.
The way I see it, as with any other bit of kit, it's very easy, if you like those cabs fine, if not fine too!... But stop telling people how sh*t you think they are, we all have different tastes and opinions and respecting them should be paramount!
[b]I have never seen so much bad talk about a brand, some very nasty comments[/b]....and having recently tried two of their cabs I understand it even less.
[/quote]

Time to start a Behringer thread then. :lol:
Oh, I wish I still had my first head, a Behringer BX3000 (which sounded quite alright) so that I could pair it to my BF Compact... :P

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1386897204' post='2306292']I don't see why a cab needs to be THAT light. [/quote]

Because it [i][b]can[/b][/i] be? :)

You could turn that viewpoint round and say "why do other cabs need to be THAT heavy?". :yarr:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1387372868' post='2311181']...You could turn that viewpoint round and say "why do other cabs need to be THAT heavy?". :yarr:
[/quote]

'Cos [i]some [/i]folks equate 'weight' with 'quality'..? :ph34r:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1387373376' post='2311195']
'Cos folks equate 'weight' with 'quality'..? :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'm not sure they do. In fact, I say the reverse. I liked my Barefaced cab (which I've just sold) as it was light AND sounded very good and was very loud. However, I wasn't that impressed by the build quality - probably as I am used to the super high quality of the TC RS range and the "on a different planet than anybody else" build quality of my AER combos.

I think the lightness, good as it is, has had an impact on their quality. For example, the grill is very flimsy. I think that is a deliberate weight-saving measure. But there are other, non weight related things that I don't like about the quality. I mean, if you look at the way that the Barefaced logo has been attached, with clumsy glue, it's a bit "man-in-a-shed".

I'm not sure that the price of a new one reflects the quality of the product. Some will argue that he can't keep up with demand and that equals success, although such a thing often only identifies a company as small.

I like them, but I think they are overpriced, not great quality and undeserving of the adulation that some on here give them.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1387374474' post='2311216']I think the lightness, good as it is, has had an impact on their quality. For example, the grill is very flimsy. I think that is a deliberate weight-saving measure. But there are other, non weight related things that I don't like about the quality. I mean, if you look at the way that the Barefaced logo has been attached, with clumsy glue, it's a bit "man-in-a-shed".[/quote]

I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day. Your cab was built by by a "man-in-a-shed" five years ago. I see it was up for sale for £315. It cost £375 new FIVE YEARS AGO. Is that bad value? If you want to talk about the build quality with respect to current prices, look at a current model! The current models which are far from being built by "a-man-in-a-shed". Look at the current grills, the finish, the corners, the handles, everything.

However, we still attach the badges with silicone - unless yours is one of the very first which went out without badges and a badge and epoxy kit followed for those first customers to attach. We don't use silicone because it's cheap or easy, in fact it's a pain to work with - double-sided tape, as used by many manufacturers, would be cheaper and easier. We use silicone because it sticks really well, stops rattles and helps to damp any grill movement and will keep the badge on there for a very long time.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1387377497' post='2311268']
I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day. Your cab was built by by a "man-in-a-shed" five years ago. I see it was up for sale for £315. It cost £375 new FIVE YEARS AGO. Is that bad value? If you want to talk about the build quality with respect to current prices, look at a current model! The current models which are far from being built by "a-man-in-a-shed". Look at the current grills, the finish, the corners, the handles, everything.

However, we still attach the badges with silicone - unless yours is one of the very first which went out without badges and a badge and epoxy kit followed for those first customers to attach. We don't use silicone because it's cheap or easy, in fact it's a pain to work with - double-sided tape, as used by many manufacturers, would be cheaper and easier. We use silicone because it sticks really well, stops rattles and helps to damp any grill movement and will keep the badge on there for a very long time.
[/quote]

Lots of good points here. I can understand Alex's frustration when reading some posts still pointing to flaws on old models that have been addressed on the new ones.
We can't expect that Alex offers a full recall of his entire production everytime he upgrades something!
Even then, from what i've been reading on BC, he's always available to offer the upgrades to his customers, sometimes for free, sometimes at a cost. I see this as good after sales service.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1387377497' post='2311268']

[/quote]

I see your attitude hasn't changed since your email to me at the time that I bought the cab then. I bought second hand as you put me off buying new with your attitude. I won't be buying Barefaced.

DarkLord - all you have said is the quality of your 5 year old cab wasn't up to scratch and it felt like it was built by a man in a shed. It was.

The new cabs are in a different league, so to comment on current quality, when you haven't seen them, is crass ,IMO :)

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1387383841' post='2311365']
Maybe you can explain what you mean by that?
[/quote]

Well, there is clearly some "history" between you and Alex Claber. You have alluded to that in other posts (like when you said you put a cloth cover on the front of your Compact and he didn't want you to, for example).

You questioned his attitude when, as a dispassionate outsider, I could see no evidence of "attitude" in his post above. Maybe you were[i] expecting [/i]some?

You say that you like BF cabs, but you have some clear ideas about what you see as their short-comings. That's cool - but you do kind of bang on about them. Again, that's cool - we know you are not a fan of the build quality! :)

Not really, just pointing out shortcomings in an argument is all ;)
If people don't like the cabs it is absolutley fine but, as with any product, tarring current models with the same brush as previous models is a bit daft. I would expect people would be [i]crucified[/i] if they said they hated Fender because in 1982 they played a particularly sh*t one and haven't played anything by them since...

Edited by Merton

But someone has posted a view... and it wasn't the most complimentary, but hardly a flaming.
But still people jump down his throat.

The perpetual fanboi posts and threads get a reaction and the reaction gets a reaction...
As long as people fawn over these cabs...and others don't get that, then you end up
with publicity that outwears its welcome.

If the company wants to have a chance in the big outside industry, maybe it is time to cut lose from this place ..

The whole thing is dull. People who defend get called fanbois, people who don't like them feel they're attacked when they put across their (sometimes ill informed) view.

Boring. Let's talk about something else.

Quite why I posted today I don't know but if you ever see me post in a Barefaced thread again please shoot me.

EDIT: if we all liked the same things the world would be dull. I'm all for people having their views and frankly welcome reasonable debate about anything, as long as it's based on experience and fact it's all lovely :)

Edited by Merton

Ron Burgundy: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
Champ Kind: It jumped up a notch.
Ron Burgundy: It did, didn't it?
Brick Tamland: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.
Ron Burgundy: I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
Brick Tamland: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.
Ron Burgundy: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.