Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Foam Party

Dropzone

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1386772769' post='2304302']
Crumbling foam doesn't work at all - and it makes a bloody mess of the inside of the cabinet. So, Alex, taking an easy pop at manufacturers who don't fit any (and who therefore don't charge for it) is hardly the right attitude.
[/quote]

I'd be interested at taking a look at the "mess" inside of the cab. It may be more aesthetically pleasing than the exterior.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386772278' post='2304288']
The troublesome handles, the dodgy feet, the spewing of foam, the Radio Shack looks.
[/quote]

Handles is a non issue IMO, I have had it with all cans which use those handles. And they have been addressed on the Gen 3 cabs.

Dodgy feet has been fixed with Gen 3.

Aesthetics is entirely personal opinion and quite dull to keep having the same argument.

Foam exploding is a bit of a concern though, and I'd want to have a look inside to see what's going on :)

Let's not degenerate into another BF lovers vs haters thread :)

I wouldn't go for a bi-amp sub-bass rig myself.
Decent enough concept, but doesn't achieve anything useful, IMO.

The sound may be ok in itself...but you don't want sub bass on stage.
You end up carrying twice the kit for the same volume as a fullrange stack
which defeats the object of lightweight cabs.
And even if I did want to pursue the bi-amp route, I wouldn't use the GK fudge.
You'd want a decent pre ( pref with crossover and stereo outs, into a stereo
amp and two cabs.)

I did this with a 210 and 115 and it wasn't at all bad...but then the double up on the gear kicked in.
and the perceived sound gain was in no way worth the carry.
And you are contemplating doing it with cabs who best selling point is the light weight... IMO.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386772278' post='2304288']
The troublesome handles, the dodgy feet, the spewing of foam, the Radio Shack looks.

You know what guys, none of this matters. Did anybody mention how incredibly light they are? (and what with the shedding of foam, they get lighter the older they get! RESULT!)
[/quote]
Is that the same as great dispersion lol

I had a bi-amped rig once with a Mackie 600w sub at the bottom. I hated carrying it, I hated balancing it for the room (when I had time or could be bothered), I hated the change in response when I had not balanced it properly. I HUGELY enjoyed the bottom B and E on my Double Bass with it.

I heart LF!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1386800085' post='2304862']

Loads of companies.
[/quote]

That showed us.

Anyway. To the OP, I think you are 'chasing the rabbit' so to speak. Much better performance to be had in running the cabs in unison.

Have you emailed barefaced about the foam? Have you taken any pictures?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1386787440' post='2304585']
I wouldn't go for a bi-amp sub-bass rig myself.
Decent enough concept, but doesn't achieve anything useful, IMO.

The sound may be ok in itself...but you don't want sub bass on stage.
You end up carrying twice the kit for the same volume as a fullrange stack
which defeats the object of lightweight cabs.
And even if I did want to pursue the bi-amp route, I wouldn't use the GK fudge.
You'd want a decent pre ( pref with crossover and stereo outs, into a stereo
amp and two cabs.)

I did this with a 210 and 115 and it wasn't at all bad...but then the double up on the gear kicked in.
and the perceived sound gain was in no way worth the carry.
And you are contemplating doing it with cabs who best selling point is the light weight... IMO.
[/quote]

Excellent post :)

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1386789834' post='2304640']
There's plenty of people doing it properly already.
[/quote]

Not excellent post :(

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1386779317' post='2304429']
....and here we go again
[/quote]
[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1386783298' post='2304504']
Let's not degenerate into another BF lovers vs haters thread :)
[/quote]

Too late. :( They can't help it. Even though they hate BF products and BF users (but have nothing invested in it and in many cases have never used a BF product), the same old nay-sayers have nothing better to do that poke their noses into threads that mention the dreaded word and pour their scorn all over them.
:sleep:
It helps the long winter nights pass I suppose...

Edited by Conan

I only meant I see the argument starting again, I have never contributed to any of them, I have my opinion but I accept and tolerate others.
The way I see it, as with any other bit of kit, it's very easy, if you like those cabs fine, if not fine too!... But stop telling people how sh*t you think they are, we all have different tastes and opinions and respecting them should be paramount!
I have never seen so much bad talk about a brand, some very nasty comments....and having recently tried two of their cabs I understand it even less.

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1386837896' post='2305074']
I only meant I see the argument starting again, I have never contributed to any of them, I have my opinion but I accept and tolerate others.
I have never seen so much bad talk about a brand, some very nasty comments....and having recently tried two of their cabs I understand it even less.
[/quote]

Me neither. I can only assume that jealousy must play a part? No idea why though. Maybe all these other "experts" wish they had spotted a gap in the market and filled it (at least partly) with products that they had designed and made.

Nobody ever claimed that BF cabs were perfect - but they do what they do very well IMO.

That said, I was very impressed with the TKS cabs I tried last night... but in some rather unexpected ways! ;)

I don't understand. Jealousy? What? For paying a load of cash for something that is built to the standards that it is?

Not for me I'm afraid. Not a fan of a looks, tones, associated niggles... they are light - granted - but cabs at this price point shouldn't have ANY problems, be it handles, feet, foam, whatever.

There are a plentiful amount of cabs out there that have zero problems. If this was any other product than Alex's, these cabs would be slated for all the problems that they have/have had - and everybody knows that. We only have to see other threads where people are unhappy with products and buying experience. Why should the response that BF has on here be expected to be any different? BigRedX hates Fender and is very vocal about it. And that's fine. Each to their own...

The only people that are screaming out in these threads, are the people that own them. Do thou protest too much?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386839291' post='2305088']
The only people that are screaming out in these threads, are the people that own them.[/quote]

Bollocks.

No offence of course! :)

Interestingly, I recently bought one of those Genz Benz cabs that were reduced. I was not particularly impressed, but when I voiced these opinions I was more or less told that my expectations were too high and that it was good enough for everone else. Odd attitude. But maybe some of the BF owners are guilty of the same.

Why do we get so protective of our gear? :huh:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1386787380' post='2304581']
Why not set up your own company making cabs? You'd then get every chance to show us how it should be done.
[/quote]
You don't need to be a TV chef to complain that your steak's burnt. Anyway, EBS was speaking as a consumer and so is perfectly well qualified to express an opinion.

Having had a barefaced s12t I can empathise with the naysayers in that it's aesthetics were simple but rugged, it had a kind of 'sh*tkicker' look to it that would be perfect playing down the 'dog & duck' and it weighed less than a 'fully laden african or european swallow carrying a coconut'!
The sound was also simple sh*tkicker, the tweeter felt a tad harsh to me but the cab produced an enormous amount of sound with good girth! It didn't quite have the detailed mid-range I was looking for but it was a blo*dy good cab and I'd have another if my current cab was removed from me by misadventure!

I now have a (sadly out of production) EAD Foundation 212 and it does the things the barefaced does which is be lightweight (but not quite as light) and sound enormous but it has a little more sonic refinement without sounding polite, it's exactly like playing through a PA cab and it's got oodles of headroom so whatever I put into it is exactly what comes out!
It can do pristine hifi (the s12t couldn't imo) and it can also do gritty fat valvey p-bass stuff all with equal aplomb.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386839291' post='2305088']
If this was any other product than Alex's, these cabs would be slated for all the problems that they have/have had - and everybody knows that.
[/quote]

Erm ... "everybody"?

But that would include me wouldn't it? And I'm not actually a knee-jerk generator of wild exaggerations. So I wouldn't do that.

Did you know that BMW 5-series have had some faults reported with dodgy sun-roofs? It's true - look it up.

So let's all go onto the Internet and slag off the BMW 5-series for being totally crap, unreliable cars which can't possibly be worth a fraction of the ludicrous prices those bastards charge.

Get some context mate. A small (?) number of BF owners reported a minor issue with the handles on their cabs. It's now been fixed. A small (?) number of BF owners reported that the rubber feet could come off their cabs - I was one of them. It took me nearly 60 seconds to screw it back on. End of civilisation, right?

And now one (count them, that's "ONE") BF owner has managed to turn his cab into a snow machine. Yet the national newspapers continue to waste their front pages on irrelevant stuff like Nelson Mandela. What's wrong with these idiots?

If you buy an essentially hand-made item from a boutique manufacturer, then this sort of odd production niggle is part & parcel of the experience. I've read enough of your posts over the years to know that you don't need me telling you about this. :)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1386840249' post='2305106']
You don't need to be a TV chef to complain that your steak's burnt. Anyway, EBS was speaking as a consumer and so is perfectly well qualified to express an opinion.
[/quote]

It wasn't EBS freak that this post was addressed to. It was Toasted. Like the steak.

BTW, some people like their steak "well done" - which is what I would regard as "burnt"!! :)

Edited by Conan