Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Foam Party

Dropzone

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1386857000' post='2305423']
I really don't understand all the passionate hatred being spread on here.

[/quote]

Where is this hatred?

[quote]
Forgetting for a moment that it is directed at a fellow BassChatter. We are all entitled to our opinions of what is good/bad gear. We are not entitled to ram it down everybody's throats on what seems to be an almost daily basis. Hey, I tried some stuff out when I was looking for a cab a couple of years ago, and there was stuff I didn't like, stuff I thought was overpriced tut, and stuff that was just plain bad. If anyone asks for a recommendation I'll be happy to make a suggestion. What I will not do is ridicule, exaggerate and prattle on like I've got some kind of hidden agenda over and over again.
[/quote]

Whether or not the manufacturer is a BCer or not is of no relevance.

There is no ramming of any opinions from what I've witnessed. The looks and sound of the cabs are certainly subjective... but the handles, feet etc are certainly not. They are tangeable problems. Hey, these may well be the Alfa Romeos of the bass cab world. Their owners love them but they will give you a lifetime of niggles. Who knows?

Anyway, regarding uncalled for bashing or whatever, if there is, it certainly doesn't seem to be having any impact on their popularity does it? As for humour, there's loads of it on here and I think it is plain clear to most people on here where humour is in action. You only have to see what a BF owner has chosen to name this thread...

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1386857104' post='2305429']
Wow that must have taken you ages to write!

Anyway, please, quote me one post, if you can, on which I have hyped Barefaced or made any ridiculous comments.
On the other hand, I could post quite a few from you slagging the Barefaced brand off just because you don't like it...not liking something it's right, but some attitudes are not, I'm afraid..
[/quote]

You've missed my point - there seems to be an opinion that there's vocal dissent on this forum when it comes to Barefaced cabs and that this is a bad thing. My point is that there's rabid fanboyism on this forum when it comes to Barefaced cabs and that is a bad thing. Trying to bring some balance, no personal criticism of you intended.

Feel free to quote me "slagging" Barefaced off - I don't deny it. My reasons are much more complicated that just not "liking" it.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1386857937' post='2305447']
Feel free to quote me "slagging" Barefaced off - I don't deny it. My reasons are much more complicated that just not "liking" it.
[/quote]

Of course. You have a fixed quota of trolling to get through in a day - it's totally understandable. :P

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1386858404' post='2305462']
Troll is a complicated word. You're another flirt and don't deny it. You love it ;-)
[/quote]

Yes I do, but I still think you're making things more complicated than they need to be. Trolling, bass cabs... all quite simple really, just like anything else... either you're into it or you're not. If you don't like BF cabs - don't buy one... if you like trolling - just look for a BF thread... :D

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386857711' post='2305440']
Where is this hatred?

Whether or not the manufacturer is a BCer or not is of no relevance.
[/quote]
Apart from basic respect. Its not the opinions which matter but the way in which they are expressed which perhaps is the issue.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1386857937' post='2305447']
[/quote]
I recall Alex has already had issues on the forum in the past with his enthusiasm and passion for what he does being misunderstood. This is why he has stated he has more important things to do with his time than fight petty point scoring battles.

Others share his enthusiasm because he has developed a product that meet peoples' needs. His product speaks for itself. It's a position that many companies would deeply envy and a personal tribute to Alex's sheer cleverness.

Keep it up the criticism though chaps, both of you come across as a bit vindictive because its just one issue. But you are also getting people passionate and excited in defence of Alex. It's great for Alex to see and great for Basschat! :D :D :D

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1386859023' post='2305482']
Apart from basic respect. Its not the opinions which matter but the way in which they are expressed which perhaps is the issue.
[/quote]

I don't get the fragmented sentence... but no matter. Aha! Never a truer word spoken.

[quote]
I recall Alex has already had issues on the forum in the past with his enthusiasm and passion for what he does being misunderstood. This is why he has stated he has more important things to do with his time than fight petty point scoring battles.

Others share his enthusiasm because he has developed a product that meet peoples' needs. His product speaks for itself. It's a position that many companies would deeply envy and a personal tribute to Alex's sheer cleverness.

Keep it up the criticism though chaps, both of you come across as a bit vindictive because its just one issue. But you are also getting people passionate and excited in defence of Alex. It's great for Alex to see and great for Basschat! :D :D :D
[/quote]

Who is the "both"?

One issue? You don't pop into these BF threads often do you?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1386857118' post='2305430']
You've lost me TG.
[/quote]

You said that being able to tell there was no penny-pinching was a good way to judge the value of a product. How do you penny-pinch when building a speaker cab in any way other than using lower value components?

Product value is what the market will pay for it. It really is that simple.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1386857000' post='2305423']
I really don't understand all the passionate hatred being spread on here.

Forgetting for a moment that it is directed at a fellow BassChatter. We are all entitled to our opinions of what is good/bad gear. We are not entitled to ram it down everybody's throats on what seems to be an almost daily basis. Hey, I tried some stuff out when I was looking for a cab a couple of years ago, and there was stuff I didn't like, stuff I thought was overpriced tut, and stuff that was just plain bad. If anyone asks for a recommendation I'll be happy to make a suggestion. What I will not do is ridicule, exaggerate and prattle on like I've got some kind of hidden agenda over and over again.

None of this is helping the OP in this case, and every other thread I read where the B word is mentioned.

For the record, I've had 5 niggles with my 63 reg BMW since I purchased it (September 1st), blowing exhaust, broken xenon light and 3 separate rattles. Each time I went back to dealer who apologised and fixed it.

I have had two niggles with my Super12 in 2 years - handle worn, still functions but looks tatty, I asked Alex who said he'd replace them with new ones (at cost). The other thing is the rubber foot, which I carelessly bashed on a step - Again Alex was more than happy to fix it. I have had both of these issues with many other cabs.

Both companies were apologetic, responsive and offered a solution.

I also had a Rickenbacker once.
[/quote]

+ 1000

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1386859884' post='2305517']
Don't really know, rubber feet and handles fell off before I even plugged it in
[/quote]

Yeah, don't you just hate that? The frets were all wonky on the last cab I bought. (Or was that my Dingwall?)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1386859023' post='2305482']Keep it up the criticism though chaps, both of you come across as a bit vindictive because its just one issue.[/quote]

You know when you get a cut inside your mouth and you just can't stop tonguing it? Well it's like that :)

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1386859237' post='2305490']
You said that being able to tell there was no penny-pinching was a good way to judge the value of a product. How do you penny-pinch when building a speaker cab in any way other than using lower value components?

Product value is what the market will pay for it. It really is that simple.
[/quote]

I'm afraid it's not that simple. If it were, similar products with the same price would by definition offer the same value. As Oscar Wilde said, A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Not the same at all.

As far as penny-pinching cab manufacturers are concerned, there are plenty of ways of cutting costs without the customer noticing, at least not until it's too late. Most, although not all, of the bass cabs that have been through my hands had been subjected to over-enthusiastic "value engineering". Lack of bracing, lack of internal damping, cheap, poorly specified drivers, inadequate R&D, incorrectly sized ports, rattling glue joints, - all from highly successful manufacturers I would add.

I'm not sure where we're going with this though.....

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1386861080' post='2305555']
I'm afraid it's not that simple. If it were, similar products with the same price would by definition offer the same value. As Oscar Wilde said, A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Not the same at all.

As far as penny-pinching cab manufacturers are concerned, there are plenty of ways of cutting costs without the customer noticing, at least not until it's too late. Most, although not all, of the bass cabs that have been through my hands had been subjected to over-enthusiastic "value engineering". Lack of bracing, lack of internal damping, cheap, poorly specified drivers, inadequate R&D, incorrectly sized ports, rattling glue joints, - all from highly successful manufacturers I would add.

I'm not sure where we're going with this though.....
[/quote]

...using oversized screws which go through into the internals of the cab...

Fair's fair, problems aren't limited to BF.

At a guess fewer than twenty Barefaced cabs used foam for damping. Very early on we switched to a different material which worked better, was easier to handle and cost less. The foam was the same material used for mattress toppers - I'm surprised it's crumbling already but maybe it's been exposed to quite high heat if the cab has played long loud gigs and that's caused premature degradation? Anyway, it's only in the very earliest Compacts and Big Ones, with plastic corners (and only in a minority of the plastic cornered cabs) - cabs that seem to sell secondhand now for little less than they were originally bought five years ago.

We're hoping to take on an admin person early next year so any issues with feet and handles on the old models will be addressed more promptly. If your handle has worn out you can have a free replacement. If you want to upgrade to the new handles we've worked out a way to do that despite them being different sizes - we'll put an upgrade kit on our site which will be priced at the cost of us to assemble and post it. I can't see the new handles wearing out in a very very long time.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1386862249' post='2305579']
At a guess fewer than twenty Barefaced cabs used foam for damping. Very early on we switched to a different material which worked better, was easier to handle and cost less. The foam was the same material used for mattress toppers - I'm surprised it's crumbling already but maybe it's been exposed to quite high heat if the cab has played long loud gigs and that's caused premature degradation? Anyway, it's only in the very earliest Compacts and Big Ones, with plastic corners (and only in a minority of the plastic cornered cabs) - cabs that seem to sell secondhand now for little less than they were originally bought five years ago.

We're hoping to take on an admin person early next year so any issues with feet and handles on the old models will be addressed more promptly. If your handle has worn out you can have a free replacement. If you want to upgrade to the new handles we've worked out a way to do that despite them being different sizes - we'll put an upgrade kit on our site which will be priced at the cost of us to assemble and post it. I can't see the new handles wearing out in a very very long time.
[/quote]

Good answer.