Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Foam Party

Dropzone

At a recent gig some foam wadding from my mark 1 Compact blew all over the stage. It looked like it had been snowing, and was rather humourous.

I haven't particularly noticed any change in sound but am likely to be moving to a more powerful amp in the near future and was wondering could this actually be important to performance or is it just damping??? And could not having it be damaging the cab?

Ta in advance

Mike

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1386755036' post='2303956']
Depends on what you mean by bi-amping - are you using a crossover to send only the deep lows to the Compact?
[/quote]

If so, that's not really what it was designed for! :huh: Better with a big PA sub I would have thought...

I don't have the GK yet but yep am looking at just sending the lows as I believe it has a bi amp. When it blew it was quite funny as it literally just kept pouring out the air vent. Sorry didn't take any pics at the time and hurried out the venue to let them clear it up ;-)

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1386759877' post='2304057']
I don't have the GK yet but yep am looking at just sending the lows as I believe it has a bi amp. When it blew it was quite funny as it literally just kept pouring out the air vent. Sorry didn't take any pics at the time and hurried out the venue to let them clear it up ;-)
[/quote]

I would read the GK manual, I am not 100% sure the GK will do what you are asking - If I understand you. I had a GK 1001rbii - The biamp gives you 1 amp for full range and 1 amp for tweeter only on a 4 pole speakon cable. You can control the output split using the 'woofer cut' button on the front of the amp. However, this only works into 1 GK cab with the bi-amp interface (NEO, SBX, RBX and RBH cabs)

You could have a cable made to split out the 2 signals into full range (woofer cut) and high end.......But I don't think that GK recommend this.

Oh, I see what you mean. Hmmmm, I just want tight punch lows that cut through. I am sure the kit will do this anyway. I think the GK comes with a "special" speakon to amp the tweeter in GK cabs, which won't work with the S12 (as it doesn't have a tweeter and wouldn't even if it did)

Maybe I will just use the GK with the S12 with the compact for more density at bigger gigs.

I want a low A. The Cab is still functioning perfectly fine and there is no percieved drop in performance or tone. I am pushing the Jeff Berlin combo to it's max. The sound is very good and I want amazing and more volume available should I need it. I bought the S12 to complement the compact and a PF500, but they can't work together so am trying a GK2001rb.

I know a bass player who swears by the GK head and knows everything about it so I will get him around to help me out. Have heard him play and he cuts through as clean as a whistle so should be plenty of tonal goodness.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1386763677' post='2304121']
I want a low A. The Cab is still functioning perfectly fine and there is no percieved drop in performance or tone. I am pushing the Jeff Berlin combo to it's max. The sound is very good and I want amazing and more volume available should I need it. I bought the S12 to complement the compact and a PF500, but they can't work together so am trying a GK2001rb.

I know a bass player who swears by the GK head and knows everything about it so I will get him around to help me out. Have heard him play and he cuts through as clean as a whistle so should be plenty of tonal goodness.
[/quote] I may be wrong but isn't that a 4ohm S12 and an 8ohm compact? Are you sure your amp will be happy with that? It all sounds a bit unbalanced to me if I am correct. The Super 12 will be taking a load more output than the Compact and the Compact is doing the harder work too. Probably best to give Alex a shout just in case. And a PF500 doesn't have the finest reliability rating when you need to push it - loads of failure issues recently with them. Be careful.

Edited by Mudpup

Run the S12 on one channel, run the Compact on the other channel. You can't use the GK biamp because that would require a tweeter and a specially wired cab. Normal biamping is rarely a good idea with bass cab - much much better to share the load of producing the lows between as much cone area and excursion as possible - the S12 can produce more bottom than the Compact but an S12+Compact working in unison can produce yet more.

The earliest Compacts and Big Ones had open-cell foam damping rather than batting - I guess it could degrade over time and go crumbly like some foam can do. It's easy enough to replace if it bothers you. Any cabs built after spring 2009 won't have that problem.

On the other hand, some crumbling foam still works better acoustically than the complete absence of damping in many cabs! :P

The troublesome handles, the dodgy feet, the spewing of foam, the Radio Shack looks.

You know what guys, none of this matters. Did anybody mention how incredibly light they are? (and what with the shedding of foam, they get lighter the older they get! RESULT!)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386772278' post='2304288']
The troublesome handles, the dodgy feet, the spewing of foam, the Radio Shack looks.

You know what guys, none of this matters. Did anybody mention how incredibly light they are? (and what with the shedding of foam, they get lighter the older they get! RESULT!)
[/quote]

Harsh.

Amusing but ..... harsh.