Why become a member? ×

What's the difference between a cheesy cover song and a 'rock classic'

thepurpleblob

For me the difference between a cheesy cover song and a rock classic is around seven pints of beer. Less drink than that and I am [i]way [/i]too cool to enjoy sweaty dad rock , and much more than that and I am likely to be singing "Eye Of The Tiger " with my trousers round my ankles to an assembled audience of police officers and cleaning ladies.

Have to agree its the band that usually use the word 'cheese'. We don't play mustang sally because its not really our genre and plus every other band I know plays it. We try to play 'cheesy' songs that not many other bands play.
Last Saturday 'Swords of a 1000 men' went down a storm and I consider that to be a bit cheesy

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386675711' post='2302866']
Picking the [i]right[/i] covers [i]is[/i] a fine line and it's got nothing to do with taste, integrity or musicality.

But on any level, a full dance floor is a success and you should bottle whatever it is you've done to get em up. There are a lot of musicians with too much "integrity" out there in need of a crate or two!
[/quote] great post.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1386702345' post='2303354']
Last Saturday 'Swords of a 1000 men' went down a storm and I consider that to be a bit cheesy
[/quote]
[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386703079' post='2303383']
We play that I'm always surprised how well it goes down, never thought it was that bigger hit
[/quote]

Quality song - have been trying - for years - to get my punk covers band to do this.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1386750344' post='2303900']
we intend to finish with that on Saturday , the place bounces , it is really fun to play.

We will play most except van morrison , proclaimers and beautiful south , the drummer just starts seething when the mention even crops up .
[/quote]
500 miles always goes down well :) Fa d da da

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386749494' post='2303889']
once you've all figured out where all the stops are :lol:
[/quote]

I am in charge of stops in our band. Nobody stops unless i lift the neck of my bass up. We have the same problem with Town Called Malice. Our drummer would always stop for the bass solo end of second verse instead of after the M8, resulting in the song only lasting about a minute and a half!!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1386755174' post='2303959']
I am in charge of stops in our band. Nobody stops unless i lift the neck of my bass up. We have the same problem with Town Called Malice. Our drummer would always stop for the bass solo end of second verse instead of after the M8, resulting in the song only lasting about a minute and a half!!
[/quote]

We have the same problem with Malice , so we don't have the solo anymore , we then wait till the guitarist brings us back in as no one seems ready for the verse without a decent string bend , so sometimes he leaves us carrying on and has a bit of a laugh with us :rolleyes:

Cheesey songs:

Chaumes me the way - Peter Frampton
Anything my Mozzarella Fitzgerald or Grate Funk Railroad
Tomme Sawyer - Rush
Baby Bels of Berlin - Lone Star
Jeremy - Pearl Jam (featuring the voice of Eddie Cheddar)
Long road out of Edam - Eagles
The Paneer within - Waterboys
Halloumi - Lionel Richie
Beaufort the law - Clash
Raclette it Brie - Beatles
The Epoisse - Rush
Munster - The Automatic
Camembert on a cheese string - J. S. Bach
Stilton love with you - Thin Lizzy
Tread caerphilly - Julie Collings

And so on... :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386676216' post='2302877']
it don't get cheesier than Nellie the Elephant, always our final song, but yeah there's a lot of snobbery going off when bands say 'we're not doing this or that because its too cheesy, a pissed up crowd on a Saturday night love to singalong to a cheesy/classic song (delete as applicable), and we are entertainers aren't we?
[/quote]
I don't see Nellie The Elephant as a cheesy song. It's just a fun song.

Playing something like Copacabana would be cheesy.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386758841' post='2304035']
Cheesey songs:

Tomme Sawyer - Rush
Halloumi - Lionel Richie
Beaufort the law - Clash
The Epoisse - Rush
Munster - The Automatic

[/quote]

Not forgetting Dolly Parton's B.O.U.R.S.I.N.

Play songs that you like and are passionate about whether that be well known or a bit more 'niche' - then temper that with a little bit of commercial sensibility. Work extremely hard at what you do and with good enough musicians you will be successful. DO care about the details. DO squeeze every last bit out of what you have available, even if that means different people singing lead, different people singing harmonies on different songs, or playing that tricky keyboard part on your bass.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386758841' post='2304035']
Cheesey songs:

Tomme Sawyer - Rush
Halloumi - Lionel Richie
Beaufort the law - Clash
The Epoisse - Rush
Munster - The Automatic

[/quote]

Outf***ingstanding list. Ten times better than BC's usual fish puns. You have my respect, Sir.

As for why some songs do better than others. It's all in the hook, see.

Example: Back in the mists of time, Queen decided that they needed more audience participation - so they wrote a string of songs including We Will Rock You, We are The Champions, Hammer, etc.

Cheesy, perhaps, but crowd-pleasers deluxe. There's no business like 'Show'.

A couple of years ago, me and a few pals were in Poole getting drunk. We stumbled into a. Pub covers band.
'Breaking the law' I yelled. 'Who said that?' Yells mr.vox- 'you got it!' . This was followed by rock you like a hurricane/lights out/ mr.crowley etc.
Awesome. We chatted for ages afterwards. ;) band were called permanent vacation.

Speaking of cheese, primus anybody ? ;)