Why become a member? ×

What's the difference between a cheesy cover song and a 'rock classic'

thepurpleblob

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386793127' post='2304728']
A couple of years ago, me and a few pals were in Poole getting drunk. We stumbled into a. Pub covers band.
'Breaking the law' I yelled. 'Who said that?' Yells mr.vox- 'you got it!' . This was followed by rock you like a hurricane/lights out/ mr.crowley etc.
Awesome. We chatted for ages afterwards. ;) band were called permanent vacation.

Speaking of cheese, primus anybody ? ;)
[/quote]

'Breaking The Law' is in their usual set ;)

I think it's more about attitude than actual songs.
My old band played Every Rose by Poison. Every one sings along.
Crazy Horses went down well too.

My current band has 2 singers, which brings to life plenty of rock Duets. and some choreography.

if you have the balls to play it and you play it well and with the right attitude, it's not cheese.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386676216' post='2302877']
it don't get cheesier than Nellie the Elephant, always our final song, but yeah there's a lot of snobbery going off when bands say 'we're not doing this or that because its too cheesy, a pissed up crowd on a Saturday night love to singalong to a cheesy/classic song (delete as applicable), and we are entertainers aren't we?
[/quote]
Ah, so we're not alone, then?
:D

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1386672346' post='2302793']
Picking songs for a covers band seems to be a fine line between dreadful, cheesy stuff and the classic rock song. I'd be interested in opinions. I'll count how many times Mustang Sally gets mentioned :)
[/quote]

I love doing Mustang Sally and if anyone wants to know how to do it so it sounds like it wipes it's arse on it's own underpants then come along , watch and learn !

Same goes with all covers. Attitude. Rule No 1 for me..... stop listening to the original and start playing it like it stole something from you.

Mind you - this is the guy who does 'In the Navy' in the middle of Primal Scream's 'Country Girl' and a Gary Glitter/Cher medley wrapped around Metal Elvis so I don't suppose it would suit anyone with the slightest degree of subtlety or good taste !!

Edited by Dr.Dave