Why become a member? ×

Is this really as bad as I think?

SteveK

ok so i tried the chorus

i am now mesmerised and speechless

you utter UTTER BASTARDS all of you :ph34r: :P now i have to go and scrub my eardrums with wire brush and dettol

ed - is it for real? is it meant to be a spoof? do they realise what theyve done for the whole interwebs to see... forever ??? :huh:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1384964589' post='2282882']
... or Motown etc. etc....
[/quote]

Motown was targeted at white audiences so that's why we "got it".

Not many people "got" blues at the start. Many more did after the 60's blues boom.

Anyway this is splitting hairs. I don't think it's very good but my point is do we understand good and bad in Chinese music and Iranian Music? So why should be understand what's good in Hip Hop?

In the "projects" they might think this is great.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384966537' post='2282922']

Anyway this is splitting hairs. I don't think it's very good but my point is do we understand good and bad in Chinese music and Iranian Music? So why should be understand what's good in Hip Hop?

In the "projects" they might think this is great
[/quote]

I find this viewpoint really, really bizarre. Hip hop is not some niche genre only marketed towards 'black America'. It may have started out as such in the 70s, but by the mid-late 90's, it was the largest-selling genre, certainly in the States, and possibly the world. Its influence has continued to pervade most popular music since.

But this song is sh*t.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1384969343' post='2282961']
I find this viewpoint really, really bizarre. Hip hop is not some niche genre only marketed towards 'black America'. It may have started out as such in the 70s, but by the mid-late 90's, it was the largest-selling genre, certainly in the States, and possibly the world. It's influence has continued to pervade most popular music since.

But this song is sh*t.
[/quote]

Specially since Eminem

I really like the samples, and the performance on Later was excellent. But the recorded version doesn't have the same impact for me, and the video is truly dreadful. That performance on Later was magnificent though, and I know I'm in a tiny minority thinking that.

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“If I were to write my title, like, going through the airport and you have to put down what you do, I would literally write ‘Creative Genius,’ except for two reasons: sometimes it takes too long to write that and sometimes I spell the word ‘genius’ wrong,” Kanye West[/font][/color]

I think there are many people, myself included, who would laugh at the notion of Kanye West in any way being a true reflection of contemporary hip hop.

It's like holding up McBusted as being mascots of the rock scene. Or Jamie Cullum personifying jazz.

Maybe Kanye IS hip hop to people who don't listen to the genre. In which case, I strongly recommend broadening your musical horizons a little. It's a healthy thing to do ;)

Not many people "got" blues at the start. Many more did after the 60's blues boom.

[/quote]
Motown was not targetted at white audiences, it was intially black audiences then mixed audiences.

So, after all, it turns out that many people 'got' the blues.

If you really think the average Basschatter's understanding of hip hop is on about the same level as their knowing about Chinese or Iranian music then I despair. There may well be some experts here on Chinese and/or Iranian music on Basschat or at least people who have listened to that stuff but they will be few and far between but many of us have heard hip hop regularly for thirty years and more. Although I hadn't properly realised Kanye West was hip hop until you told me; I thought it was just pop music of a trivial and poor kind.

If you really think white people can't understand hip hop (and that is what you seem to be saying) then I want to resist saying that is simple and straightforward racism but I really don't know how else to understand it.

I've never understood metal. Is that also because I am a white boy?

Is the link to the pre or post watershed version of the vid?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384951684' post='2282651']
Is this as bad...etc?

Yes it is. It's a shame that music is so polarised in the US these days. KW is a mega star in Hip Hop and his intended audience is Black America, so it's no surprise that we wouldn't like it.
[/quote]
I would be interested to know how the US rap mags have taken his latest album....

My take - I don't mind it. His latest album is experimental, and pushing the genre musically - if it works or not- in some cases yes, in some no.
But then 808s and heartbreaks got a mixed reception..
The genre's got to evolve and someone like Kanye doing different things... aint bad.

Anyway Lou Reed's view of Kanye's latest ... http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/jul/03/lou-reed-kanye-west-yeezus

Haven't watched it, and have no intention of watching it, but thought I'd add that I saw it a thumbnail of it on the front page of YouTube today and thought that it looked blatantly greenscreened and generally cheap.

EDIT:

[/quote]

FWIW, I'd say that given the subjectivity of music, anybody is as entitled as anybody else to judge good and bad in music (or should I say; whether they like it or not). There are universal things that appeal to parts of our subconscious. Admittedly a certain degree of music appreciation can be attributed to conditioning too, but I digress. I've just had a listen to the track, and I've got to say that it's dreadful (in my opinion). I've heard the occasional Hip Hop track that I can extract a certain amount of enjoyment from, even if they're not exactly my cup of tea, be that a catchy melody or the tapping of a foot, etc. It goes without saying that I was unable to gain anything what-so-ever from this experience. Regarding his target audience, I think that's more of the image he portrays than who he actually sells his music to. I'd wager that most of the people at his concerts and buying or listening to his music are actually white, middle class teenage girls. Think along the lines of Bob Marley; he's the culturally appropriated, "mainstream" cash-cow impersonation of what he models himself on (and yet manages to be infinitely more terrible than the great Bob Marley, I should add).

Edited by Ziphoblat

I don't see Kanye West as any more bland and boring than a lot of other music i hear lately. I can't say the thought of listening to Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon or The Killers fills me with any more excitement but then none of that music is aimed at my generation. It all seems a bit bland and uninspiring to me.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1384957813' post='2282771']
Yes, it really is that bad!

I don't really get the concept that I won't enjoy a type of music based on skin colour. That may be how music is marketed in certain 'territories', but it has no influence on what music I enjoy. Having said that I must admit that apart from the very odd exception I have no love for this particular genre. Still, this struck me as a particularly poor attempt.

Even so, there is worse out there:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZphHGHiQ5w&fb[/media]

Enjoy.

EDIT: stay with it till the chorus, or you'll miss the best bits.
[/quote]

THANK YOU FOR THIS GEM!!!!