Why become a member? ×

What Didn't You Like...But Now You Do?

Lowender

We all go through transitions and changes in taste. But I find it interesting that something that seemed so fundamental gets stood on its head.

For me, it's basses with maple fingerboards and block markers. I though they were ugly and cheap looking. I felt they ruined the aesthetics of a maple board and I actually found the blocks to be distracting. They through me off. The neck seemed too "busy." It connoted something that a beginner needed to find his place.

Now...I LOVE THEM. They make perfect sense, especially when playing on dark stages or with light shows. They're also great when reading when you need a quick glance over at the neck for reference. They make perfect sense.

What did you think you'd never like, later to find it suited you well?

In 1991 I bought Allan Holdsworth's Secrets CD because everyone said what a fantastic guitarist he was. Played the CD once and thought that's just c$@p. Never played it again.

Roll on ten years and I'm playing in a jazz band. Methinks I should get said CD out and have a listen. Knock me down with a feather. It is fantastic. Still listening to it ten years on from that. My mind had become used to improvised music so I now understand it and can see how great Holdsworth is as a player.

Jazz Basses. I thought they sounded too thin and twangy for me. Then I played a friends MIJ Silver Squier which had a great bottom end. Within a week I'd bought an Indonesian Squier for £95, a Silver Squier was snapped up off Ebay soon after, a Geddy Lee was purchased from a guy in California (when the £ was doing well against the $), then a MIJ 62 reissue on Basschat seemed such a bargain, that I bought that too. And, as if that wasn't enough, I then bought a MIM classic 60s neck, a VM Squier maple body, a set of pickups from a roadworn Jazz and a J Retro pre amp, and assembled my own Frankenstein Jazz Bass which ended up the best of the lot.

Eventually reality kicked in and I sold 4 of my Jazzes. I've just got the one Jazz now.

Edited by gjones

Sunburst (or anything burst) paint finishes. There was a time I wouldn't have considered getting a bass in a burst finish. I now have 3.

Necks wider than 40mm. I have one now and it isn't the impossible to tame demon I previously thought.

Maybe one day, when I am grown up, I will find tort scratchplates attractive, too.

I didnt like stingrays at all, big clumsy, wide necked lumps. Went to buy a warwick with £1400 in my pocket in 2002, the warwick was faulty from the factory, tried a Ric, horrible in every way other than looks, and tried some more Rays just to double check they were as bad as I remembered from the last time.....owned 6 since :D

I liked a Stingray when I played one iin a shop , but as soon as I bought one and brought it home I didn't like it much at all . It had a weird, spread out sound with no mids that I found difficult to hear in the mix compared to the Wal basses I was also playing at that time . That peculiar Stingray sound has grown on me over the years to the extent that I now love it for what it is , even though I use something other than a Stingray to get it nowadays when I want that sound.