Why become a member? ×

What's the Bassiest Bass?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1381679367' post='2242194']
Bass guitars: Steinberger XL2A - huge lows which is why they were so popular with dub and reggae players for a while.
Uprights: NS CR4 - the 42" scale provides monstrous lows with the right set up.
[/quote]

I have an NS CR5- even better with a B.
I also have a Yamaha attitude. That's quite meaty, too.
Warwick Fortress MM 5 gets my vote, but that's because it has two preamps, one for each coil of the HB, and you can dial in stupid amounts of bottom end.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1381685295' post='2242300']
I have an NS CR5- even better with a B.
I also have a Yamaha attitude. That's quite meaty, too.
Warwick Fortress MM 5 gets my vote, but that's because it has two preamps, one for each coil of the HB, and you can dial in stupid amounts of bottom end.
[/quote]
Yep but the OP specifies 4 strings only ;)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1381576630' post='2240814']
I'm thinking that 'bassiest' means naturally closest to the fundamental, with fewer harmonics and overtones. I hear that the Steinberger is excellent for this. A favoured tool by deep reggae players.
[/quote]

+1. I've played and tried a lot of basses over 30 odd years, nothing matches an XL2 for fundamental clarity. Pair that up with the monumental sustain and you have quite a weapon on your hands. Was having much fun today actually with some old Jah Wobble lines...think he used an Ovation, cited elsewhere on the thread?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1382115102' post='2248257']
Cripes you guys haven't lived!!

Musicman bongo, reflex or big al - turn up the bass EQ - phenominal!!!
[/quote]

I can wholheartedly endorse Dr T on this . All Music Man basses have got massive bottom end - including the single pickup Stingray- but the more recent models have got a low end response that has a deeper dimension than most other basses on the market . The bass on my Reflex HH is huge , as is that on the Bongo HH, . The HSS and SSS available on some basses configurations are probably even deeper , so if you dig the really low stuff , EBMM is the way to go .

There was a thread on Talkbass a while ago where a guy was posting plots of frequency content over time for some different basses. IIRC, a long scale (41-42") EUB with piezo bridge pickups contained a far higher proportion of fundamental than a 34" bass guitar with magnetic pickups. So a very long scale might be a good idea if the strongest fundamental is required. Here's the thread: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bass-frequency-waterfall-plots-what-they-mean-rigs-510749/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bass-frequency-waterfall-plots-what-they-mean-rigs-510749/[/url]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382115706' post='2248269']
I can wholheartedly endorse Dr T on this . All Music Man basses have got massive bottom end - including the single pickup Stingray- but the more recent models have got a low end response that has a deeper dimension than most other basses on the market . The bass on my Reflex HH is huge , as is that on the Bongo HH, . The HSS and SSS available on some basses configurations are probably even deeper , so if you dig the really low stuff , EBMM is the way to go .
[/quote]

Agreed. The bassiest frequencies from my single humbucker EBMM SR4 are truly trouser-flapping, but with clarity to match - not muddy at all. Killer bottom end.