Why become a member? ×

How important is it to know all the lyrics to covers

bonzodog

I play in a covers band and me and the guitarist share the vocals. I sing the songs where its a nice thumping bass and leave the singing to him when the songs call for a more tricky bass line. At present we do a 50/50 share of 15 songs each
On the songs I sing, I know all the words but very often get a bit carried away and can sometimes sing the same verse twice but always get chorus and structure right. To me I don't see it as a huge problem.
On the other hand our guitarist has a lot of the words written down to his singing songs (in fairness they are on the floor and not always noticeable to the audience) and insists songs should be sang correctly every time. At rehearsals he will always stop a song if he forgets words and start again.
Whilst I agree with his thoughts about getting song right I would much rather relax and enjoy the gig without getting too bogged down with learning every word as long as the choruses are right

What does everyone else think?

[size=4][quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1378941009' post='2206968'][/size]I think you should cover The Violent Femmes' 'Prove My Love'...
[/quote]

I think you should wear lederhosen, then put your left leg up on the mantelpiece with your right hand waiting. Also:

I don't get it. Your guitarist wants to get the words right every time, yet has the lyrics on stage with him? I would have thought if he was that bothered about it he would spend a bit of time learning the lyrics off pat. IMHO, of course. :)

Edited by discreet

You can do whatever you want. You don't even have to play the right chords. Just remember....when people think the audience doesn't notice the difference, all that really means is the audience was polite enough not to bring the shortcomings up to you. But they notice. You can fool some of the people so me of the time...

Is it horrible? Nah. But don't be surprised when the band that does play the right notes and sings the right words gets the gig.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1378939447' post='2206940']
I play in a covers band and me and the guitarist share the vocals. I sing the songs where its a nice thumping bass and leave the singing to him when the songs call for a more tricky bass line. At present we do a 50/50 share of 15 songs each
On the songs I sing, I know all the words but very often get a bit carried away and can sometimes sing the same verse twice but always get chorus and structure right. To me I don't see it as a huge problem.
On the other hand our guitarist has a lot of the words written down to his singing songs (in fairness they are on the floor and not always noticeable to the audience) and insists songs should be sang correctly every time. At rehearsals he will always stop a song if he forgets words and start again.
Whilst I agree with his thoughts about getting song right I would much rather relax and enjoy the gig without getting too bogged down with learning every word as long as the choruses are right

[b]What does everyone else think?[/b]
[/quote]

I think you're on a slippery slope of laziness. Lowender's right.

I think it is essential to sing the proper words. The audience often sing along and its obvious if you get them wrong also, is particularly bad if you and your pal sing the same line with different words. It can be taxing to remember all the words to every song but I think it is about quality. All my opinion of course....

It shouldn't be too difficult to remember the lyrics if you are only singing fifteen songs. Only [b]IMO[/b] of course! :rolleyes:

And as others have said, you will soon be found out if the punters are singing along with you. :mellow:

If you are being paid for the gig, I think you should go the extra mile to put on as good a show as possible. Again, only [b]IMO[/b] of course! :rolleyes:

Edited by thebrig

I am the main singer in my band and I have learned the words to about 80 songs. From time to time I forget the words, in which case I make something up or substitute a different line. If the audience are up dancing I will often lead the band into another verse/chorus/solo. This is much easier to do when also playing guitar (as I am) than when playing bass.

Regarding the OP's situation it depends on what you are trying to achieve - perfect replicas, your spin on the song, entertainment?

I don't agree with the "[i]You don't have to bother because the audience won't notice[/i]" approach.

You should know the number and play it right. It's fine if you want to rearrange a number, but don't think sloppy playing passes for your own version.

A guitarist in band in the 80's used the "[i]the audience doesn't care[/i]" argument with me. My reply was "[i]Well I notice so please get it right for me[/i]".

I guess it's down to the personality of the band and the audience, and the gravity of the gig. But to me it's as important as learning the musical parts. Consider the following...

[i]Mammaaa, just killed a maaaan[/i]
[i]Put a bum against his bread, dah dah da-da-da-da-daaaah[/i]
[i]Mammaaa, doobie dooooobie-doo....[/i]

...and the answer becomes self-evident!

I also share vocals in my band, and the lead singer also has crib sheets on the floor. He still gets 'em wrong from time to time. For the most part he gets away with it, but we do tease him mercilessly about it. During one particular verse of 'Love will tear us apart', we all swear that he sang [i]"Where the rhubarb grows high/ and the chickens run free..."[/i]

BB

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.
I think the point I was trying to get across is the fine line between playing the songs perfectly and having to concentrate a little too much against relaxing a little and enjoying the gig but may be forgetting a few words.
I appreciate the comment that the band who plays it right will get re-booked, but I also think punters like to see a band enjoying themselves and not too serious. In an ideal world you shoud achieve both.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1378998474' post='2207567']
....the fine line between playing the songs perfectly....and enjoying the gig....
[/quote]

Doing one shouldn't preclude doing the other. I think you can do both.

But, there's a difference between mistakes because you don't know the stuff and mistakes because your brain froze, you drifted away and started to think about the shopping or you fell over cos you danced into the drum riser.

At the end of the day, have fun. It's only rock and roll.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1379002285' post='2207629']
Learn the songs properly, practice them properly, aim to play them live properly.

It it goes wrong at the time, hey mistakes happen, but don`t practice for them to go wrong in the first place.
[/quote]
Spot on!

I think it depends.... if you carry the rest of the gig off well, then no one is too concerned about the words...or the gtr solo
or anything else, for that matter... but if you are all round sloppy, then they can hang you for the smallest thing and I'd have no problem with that either.

You either get to the audience with the band/music or you don't...