Why become a member? ×

How important is it to know all the lyrics to covers

bonzodog

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1379002285' post='2207629']
Learn the songs properly, practice them properly, aim to play them live properly.

It it goes wrong at the time, hey mistakes happen, but don`t practice for them to go wrong in the first place.
[/quote]

I concur.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1378998474' post='2207567']
.. the fine line between playing the songs perfectly... and enjoying the gig...
[/quote]
One and the same thing IMHO. I can't enjoy the gig if I'm making mistakes left, right & centre. You can only laugh off so many of them.

However, at least you're not reading the lyrics off your iPhone - an absolute pet hate of mine

I think, to a degree, it also depends on just how well known the songs are.

If you're doing something really well known and get an audience singing along it can quickly go very disjointed if the audience sings one line and you sing another.

In most cases the audience will just assume you are right because you're up and playing the song in front of them but it can give some people a bad impression.

Yes and I think the audience makes a difference. In a covers band you are playing most likely to fans of that style of music and will probably know most of the words. When I used to sing full time around the working mens clubs you could normally sing whatever you want and nobody noticed. There are still some shockingly bad singers and duos working every weekend around the clubs who just learn the chorus.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1379073214' post='2208359']
If you're doing something really well known and get an audience singing along it can quickly go very disjointed if the audience sings one line and you sing another.
[/quote]

Same goes for rest of band if they are doing bvox, lead sings one line and the bvox do another, sounds a mess!

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1378954642' post='2207011'] You can do whatever you want. You don't even have to play the right chords. Just remember....when people think the audience doesn't notice the difference, all that really means is the audience was polite enough not to bring the shortcomings up to you. But they notice. You can fool some of the people so me of the time... Is it horrible? Nah. But don't be surprised when the band that does play the right notes and sings the right words gets the gig. [/quote] Gotta agree with this plus i would have thought learning the lyrics in the correct sequence helps you remember where you are in a song. As a bassist who doesnt do vocals i find it helpful to know the lyrics for that reason. Its an age thing where any memory jog is a bonus - :rolleyes: :lol:

Dave