Why become a member? ×

Bassees of the Eightees

rodacademy

Basses of the 80s were mostly synths (especially the first half). Those who had record deals had the Yamaha DX7, Roland JP8, Prophet V, Oberheim OB8a, Emulator, PPG Wave or if you had a huge advance maybe a Fairlight CMI. The rest of us made to with the Wasp, Roland SH101 or a Sequential Circuits Pro1...

Edited by BigRedX

• 2 weeks later...

Total 80s casualty here. Started out on a Westone in 85, took the opportunity to try out a Ray and a WAL at the same time - couldn't afford either but loved the Ray, hated the parametric EQ and weight of the WAL. Got to be a Berger as the iconic 80s bass though but do not let the look or image out you off, these are awesome basses, once tried never forgotten.

These????

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&rlz=1G1ACPW_ENUK372&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=Os0tW3j9x_yplM:&imgrefurl=http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/g77-bass-what-was-the-guitar-called.113439/&docid=Yg14H9LYSBSB3M&imgurl=http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6862/roland20g77fc9.jpg&w=450&h=138&ei=460sUuf6D-es7QbJ7YGoDQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:10,s:0,i:112&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=110&tbnw=360&start=0&ndsp=14&tx=190&ty=39

Hey !

I found a Charvel 3B in white in a local shop. It looks brand new which is, concerning its age, quite strange. The shop owner told me that the bass has been stored for the past few years. The original Charvel case is included. They ask for ~500 GBP - Do you guys think that this is an adequate price ?

A majority of my basses are from the 80s for some unknown reason.

1981 Gibson Victory Artist
1985 G&L El Toro
1985 Yamaha BB450
1986 Yamaha BB350F
1987 Gibson IV

I suppose only the Yamaha BBs (and not my ones) are ones that people would think of in a top 10 80s bass list.

Westones were everywhere in the late 1980s, the nice ones with the brass hardware and earlier logo seemed to have fallen out of favour with the more well heeled players and could be picked up relatively cheap. There were also the cheaper Westone Thunders and Thunderjets with the later logo as well. Sounded great, and had nice necks but often got badly treated and ended up being binned. Much better than the catalogue Marlin Precision copies that most of my schoolfriend bass players had, or the chipboard body Aria that I started out with.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1379358711' post='2211782']
A majority of my basses are from the 80s for some unknown reason.

1981 Gibson Victory Artist
1985 G&L El Toro
1985 Yamaha BB450
1986 Yamaha BB350F
1987 Gibson IV

I suppose only the Yamaha BBs (and not my ones) are ones that people would think of in a top 10 80s bass list.
[/quote]

Those G&L El Toro basses have become very sought-after in the States in recent years .

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1377720634' post='2190940']
....What do you think is the most iconic Bass of the eighties?....
[/quote]

I'm not much good with "icons" or trends, so I've no Idea.

For me it was a Fender Precision. Most of the guys around here, playing the pub/club circuit, were using Fenders back then.

Edited by chris_b