Why become a member? ×

Other Player Using Your Gear

Hobbayne

Myself and a few mates run Jam nights down the local. We usually supply 99% of the gear. As long as those using our equipment respect it we don't mind. Everyone has been told that if someone acts the bollox they'll be switched off. Once is usually enough to get the point across.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1377342400' post='2186445']
Doesn't bother me, to be frank.
[/quote]
I'm looking forward to the first gig where some baggy arsed trousered kid who has decided not to bring his bass to a gig so he can go straight into town on the pull after asks to use mine only to be confronted with a 3/4 half carved in front of all his adoring fans :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377346954' post='2186522']

Yes, it is. :) I agree that it depends who's asking. And if they're NOT asking, then NO.

What really gets on my teats are social inadequates who turn up empty-handed and assume that they can use ALL your gear - rig, bass, leads, FX, the lot - without so much as a 'could I use your rig/bass/leads/FX/the lot, please?'. Grr!
[/quote]
Had this last year at a summer fete, drummer has nothing maybe not even sticks from memory, our drummer is a lefty and had only a cocktail kit which he said wasn't up to the task of what stuff they did, our drummer hadn't even been asked in advance to share a kit, they eventually decided to go on anyway, nirvana covers easily played on a 3 piece kit!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1377354826' post='2186646']

Had this last year at a summer fete, drummer has nothing maybe not even sticks from memory, our drummer is a lefty and had only a cocktail kit which he said wasn't up to the task of what stuff they did, our drummer hadn't even been asked in advance to share a kit, they eventually decided to go on anyway, nirvana covers easily played on a 3 piece kit!
[/quote]

We used to call them "sticks and a smile" bands, because that was all they turned up with. Seen plenty of them!

Drummers deserve our sympathy over this (if nothing else). On a shared bill, it's generally them that will finish up with some sort of sharing. I have noticed that they're pretty good at sharing, though.

Just trying to organise a charity gig for which I've volunteered to be musical contact point. Two bands have ben in touch,the other hasn't. If they don't talk to us about gear, they don't get to use the drum kit.

I'm generally happy to share but if I'm using my amp (900W) with my little 1x12 (200W), I'm buggered if I'm going to risk someone wrecking the cab. Not so bothered if I'm using the 4x10 (1100W).

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1377347294' post='2186533']
Never, mainly because I know those who've asked haven't got the cash to either repair or replace it if they bust it...and as I've had gear broken in the past and not even had a sorry let alone had it fixed or replaced I'm a very untrusting soul now.
[/quote]

This.

I am fine with people using my amp although it can have drawbacks. We organised a sunday evening jam at the local and it was great fun. I was looking forward to hearing my Trace V6 from within the audiance, and it sounded really good. However When the last band played( tha bassist had a '75 jazz reissue, just like mine), the sound coming from the amp was amazing. Much better than anything I had ever got from it, so I left the settings as they were and tried it the next day in the same room but it just sounded like me. The magic had gone. That's when I realised, it's al in the fingers ;-)
I am still ok with people using my gear, just ask, and treat it well.

I'm the opposite to many here in that I'd much prefer that someone borrows my bass than the amp. My rationale is that if someone is mistreating a bass you can pretty quickly spot it (plus I'm not massively picky about the general finish of instruments). But it seems to me that an amp can be messed up with a just a bit of cack-handedness on the controls and you might not know about it until the next day.

What I can't wrap my head around is all these people with super fragile rigs which it seems it's possible to destroy just by using the amp's controls. My cab can handle twice the power coming out of my head at max oomph, which it should be able to handle outputting, otherwise it's poorly designed.

It's mostly in the eyes, like it always was, but now, and new to me, I allow myself to take one look at the person before deciding.

People that I know have borrowed my gear for years on end, and I've borrowed theirs for years, with no problems at all. Right now, others have four basses and four amps/cabs of mine. No problem.

Others OTOH have given reason to annoyance, like people not even bothering to honour what we'd agreed on earlier, like writing down some specific, delicate settings, taking the volume down before unplugging, no beers on Hammonds - that sort of thing.

As indicated, these days, I allow myself the use of the word "No".

Thinking back, my musical life (such as it is) would not have started if other bands had not generously let me use their gear.
As a typically teenager I thought I knew it all, and I lacked the social skills and experience to say 'please' and 'thank you' properly.
I know I must have used gear in a way that made its owners wince. But...they let me, and almost without exception encouraged me.
Like most of us on this forum, I've worked long and hard to get the gear I've got now. But, its only stuff.

On a multi band gig the amps etc are usually shared by prior arrangement to keep switch-over times to a minimum. If somebody turned up without a bass I'd laugh at them and tell them to f*** off. If their bass developed a fault however or they broke a string mid-set I would happily let them use mine to finish.

Bass - not a chance. Even though all my gear is insured, it's still my pride and joy and if anything happened to it, I couldn't be done with the hassle. If I know them and offer after talking about gear, and knowing how good they are, it's a different story and I'd be more than happy, but someone I don't really know at a gig or jam? No thanks.

Amp's a tricky one, when I had the Trace head, yeah no worries as I knew it wouldn't overload the cabs. As for the Hartke, that's 4 times as powerful, so I'd be weary of anyone who plugs in and turns up. That's one of the reasons I got the Superfly, people can do no damage as the cabs over overrated for the amp outputs, and I can also digitally lock the amp itself so no one can mess around with the settings.