Why become a member? ×

Even the best luthiers have their off-days...

wateroftyne

I'm quite surprised by this... but it would seem that it's what comes with success.

He's gone CNC now and the prices are still north of what I think they should be... especially given the fact that to some degree, his bodies and necks are no longer entirely "hand made". "Hand finished" would be a better definition.

But hey. If you want an AC, you pay... and if people will pay for them, then good luck to them.

I saw the green racing strip AC pass through Bass Gear recently. That's a stunner of a bass... sadly, the others that I have played haven't done it for me but that one... grr... :P Sounds and plays great.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1376308653' post='2171889']
Why would anyone spend this sort of money on a bass and not look at it first?
[/quote]

Because some reputations take care of this....

There are one or two luthiers ..well, certainly one, that I trust to get the mechanics and build right,
but would I buy blind for that sort of money...??
I think I might, but I would have to be happy that the luthier would not want all his hard work wasted with
a sub-standard product.

I am very wary of buying blind with the likes of Fender etc etc ... as I have seen some poor basses, ...IMO.. but when you spend
£2k plus, you just don't expect those flaws to be anywhere near the equation. It is more about the fit of the bass
but at least you can sell it on as the only thing wrong with the bass is that it doesn't suit, not a bad/poor product.

I haven't followed the TB thread so I can't comment on the build, but I am shocked it has all come to these ..

As said above... if the bass is poor and below the normal standards, then withdraw it and uphold the hard earned reputation....surely..????
What would it cost them in real terms..$3000...??????

Doesn't make sense on the face of it..

2 things struck me as odd before he placed the order.

1 - If the reduction in the price because of the condition was in the 100s of $. Why didn't he correct it if it was as easy as "buffing it up"?
2 - No returns.

I like to think I'd have smelled it before paying. But the heart can play tricks on a player who's in love.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1376312864' post='2171951']
Whatever the 'entire' story is, I think anyone who has seen this, or the TB thread, will think twice about AC if ever we're in a position to buy something of this level of expenditure.

Meanwhile, some where in New York, a luthier is rubbing his hands together ;)
[/quote] agreed - it suddenly loses a lot of the appeal of a brand with a rep of making $5k basses that.. .well are possibly worth $5k. Mind you UK lutheirs are pretty competitively priced at the moment.
[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1376321097' post='2172090']
This is awful! Really sad to see!

I would be flying out to the shop to take it back and sort it out directly!

I'm only on page 7 of the talkbass thread......i hope it gets resolved!
[/quote] it doesn't, I skipped to the end.... :(
As I was reading it did make me think of your workshop though and the difference in quality of the basses you make- that I would look/pickup at your stuff and just presumed that of course all custom builders make stuff of this quality..... turns out from that talkbass thread that they do not

Having bought quite a few guitars on ebay without trouble, there is no way I could buy a $5k bass without playing it first (obviously hypothetically, there is no way I could buy a $5k bass anyway :D ). Even if it was in New York and I was in LA. For me to pay that much it would have to be so perfect and call to me.

All this just reinforces my thinking (and with a personal experience from a different instrument maker) that no matter how good a Luthier & their reputation is they still turn out the odd pig and can be pretty shocking with their after sales care when there is something fundamentally wrong.

I think it's fair to judge a person/company on how they deal with things when they go wrong so I am keen to see what Jimmy C does with this one!

I've owned several of Jimmy's basses, maybe 5 or 6 over the years and every single one has been absolutely superbly finished and I'm more than happy to vouch for his build quality.

I've met him a couple of times and he has a, near obsessive, desire to build the highest quality instruments that deliver not only amazing tonal qualities but also, near perfect, aesthetic original design ethics.

I genuinely don't think there's another builder out there that comes remotely close to Jimmy when he's on his game.

He really cares about his customers as well. I recently bought the 2nd bass he ever made and the owner had removed the original pickups and replaced them with, rather nasty, Seymour Duncans. As soon as I told Jimmy he offered to replace them with his own hand wound originals completely free of charge - this is not the type of guy who screws with his customers and doesn't care about after sales service!

I find the fact that he hasn't replied to this thread somewhat revealing and wonder if there's something kicking around in the background that we don't know about and that he doesn't feel a public web forum is the right place to respond. . .

I've played a couple of his basses, and personally the Fodera MG i played blew them away but thats just me

If there is something going on, and he does have a reasonable explanation, you would think he would say something given that his reputation for build quality and customer care seems to be taking something of a hammering thanks to this....

Edited by funkypenguin

I'm loving the stuff from people saying things like this thread has been posted for x number of days and Jimmy hasn't bothered to reply so that means I'll never buy one of his basses.

Meanwhile the thread was posted on a Friday and, I'm guessing like a lot of working folk, Jimmy won't even have seen it until today.

This is on of the hardest working luthiers I've ever met and I know for a fact that he doesn't spend his days aimlessly poring over web forums because, you know, he's like, making basses for a living. . .

Talkbass loves nothing more than a good slagging off session and, in recent times, it feels like BC is heading the same way :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376352113' post='2172806']
I'm loving the stuff from people saying things like this thread has been posted for x number of days and Jimmy hasn't bothered to reply so that means I'll never buy one of his basses.

Meanwhile the thread was posted on a Friday and, I'm guessing like a lot of working folk, Jimmy won't even have seen it until today.

This is on of the hardest working luthiers I've ever met and I know for a fact that he doesn't spend his days aimlessly poring over web forums because, you know, he's like, making basses for a living. . .

Talkbass loves nothing more than a good slagging off session and, in recent times, it feels like BC is heading the same way :(
[/quote]

I think BC has a long way to go to be anywhere near as bad as Talkcrap but I know what you mean.

Edited by Bassman Sam

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1376350514' post='2172792']
I've played a couple of his basses, and personally the Fodera MG i played blew them away but thats just me

[/quote]

I've owned both Foderas and Alleva Copollos - both are right up there at the peak of bass building as far as I'm concerned. Very, very different design and build ethics but neither can really do what the other can.

On a purely monetary front an MG is a good 50% more expensive than an AC (actually an MG Standard is 50% more, a fully fledged custom is more like 100% more). I can see where the money is though, the MG's are stunning instruments, I've been playing a new MGS recently and it's just a fabulous thing :)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1376352424' post='2172808']

I think BC has a long way to go to be anywhere near as bad as Talkcrap but I know what you mean.
[/quote]

Totally agree - I guess I just worry that BC is also heading down the 'lets slag something off that we know nothing about because it means we don't have to actually hold an opinion' route.

I've seen this happen a few times though - almost always over high end builders as well - maybe it's that good old Brit attitude of wanting to find fault in things that are rare / expensive / not made in the UK etc. etc :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376352489' post='2172809']
I've owned both Foderas and Alleva Copollos - both are right up there at the peak of bass building as far as I'm concerned. Very, very different design and build ethics but neither can really do what the other can.

On a purely monetary front an MG is a good 50% more expensive than an AC (actually an MG Standard is 50% more, a fully fledged custom is more like 100% more). I can see where the money is though, the MG's are stunning instruments, I've been playing a new MGS recently and it's just a fabulous thing :)
[/quote]

You do seem to have pretty spectacular taste in basses Molan, your sig is usually a who's-who of bass makes i would love to own :P

Jimmy Coppolo has taken some (perhaps) unnecessary flak and flaming on TB, but if I sold 2 basses to buy a bass described as "showing some play wear", parted with $5000 and then received the instrument with the damage pictured, i wouldn't be very happy with the builder, especially if he then implied i had edited or doctored the photos. Fair play to him for giving the OP the full refund though.

The green & white one I seen in Bass Gear was lovely, so this "dog" kicking about is a strange affair, also rather strange that such a poorly made bass was a shop demo.

Glad the guy got his money back, AC's fault or not.