Why become a member? ×

Even the best luthiers have their off-days...

wateroftyne

It's worth reminding everyone that if Jimmy hadn't have come under pressure from 'the mob' on TB, the OP would have been left with a $5000 bass not worthy of the AC name*.

It didn't have to end up in the public domain. JC could have quite easily have avoided that.

[size=2]*allegedly, based on information available [/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376900135' post='2180384']
Either Molan should say the buyer messed with it himself or should refrain from posting more fuel IMO. Your not helping your mate out at all with these cryptic posts :)
[/quote]

+1.

I find it weird that he thought the "trial by internet" of JC was unfair but is now making unsupported insinuations about the other party in this whole sorry affair.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1376891576' post='2180321']
No it's simply based on the principal of Occam's Razor.....
[/quote]

In the interest of balance and using the same principals, have we ever known Molan to exaggerate or with malice aforethought misrepresent facts on here. I certainly haven't... then again I'm not as rabid a basschatter as I used to be.

He seems quite adamant over his position and claims to have unpublished info. Of course I would love to know all the juicey behind the scene bits but I find it hypocritical that we are calling for all the beef from both sides while simultaneously calling into question JC's (and to some extent Molan's) professional ethics. Who here would like their luthier to discuss in detail their private interactions? Having read JC's outburst, I'm sure he would love the details of his side of the story eloquently set out on his behalf... but would it be right to do so? Time will tell I suppose.

In response to those fed up with the thread, unsubscribe. I personally enjoy daily serialisations like this - when they are kept civil, as has been. I find them pertinent to our interests and the longer they are left to mature (often a rarety on here) they go to prove how different and interesting and fallible we all are.... even world renowned luthiers. Often we come away wiser than before and as usual it's never the end of the world.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1376909878' post='2180586']
In the interest of balance and using the same principals, have we ever known Molan to exaggerate or with malice aforethought misrepresent facts on here. I certainly haven't... then again I'm not as rabid a basschatter as I used to be.

He seems quite adamant over his position and claims to have unpublished info. Of course I would love to know all the juicey behind the scene bits but I find it hypocritical that we are calling for all the beef from both sides while simultaneously calling into question JC's (and to some extent Molan's) professional ethics. Who here would like their luthier to discuss in detail their private interactions? Having read JC's outburst, I'm sure he would love the details of his side of the story eloquently set out on his behalf... but would it be right to do so? Time will tell I suppose.

In response to those fed up with the thread, unsubscribe. I personally enjoy daily serialisations like this - when they are kept civil, as has been. I find them pertinent to our interests and the longer they are left to mature (often a rarety on here) they go to prove how different and interesting and fallible we all are.... even world renowned luthiers. Often we come away wiser than before and as usual it's never the end of the world.
[/quote]

Excellent post.

I'm not calling for any more info, and I'm sure there are grey areas on both sides of the fence - the truth, as always, will lie somewhere in between.

The thing I'll take away from this is the supplier's aggressive and at times frankly ludicrous response on a public forum to a customer problem. That's factual, and not disputable, despite some apologia on here along the lines of 'he must have been having a bad day' or 'he always talks like that'.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1376912659' post='2180647']
The thing I'll take away from this is the supplier's aggressive and at times frankly ludicrous response on a public forum to a customer problem. That's factual, and not disputable, despite some apologia on here along the lines of 'he must have been having a bad day' or 'he always talks like that'.
[/quote]

Me too. The condition of the bass was neither here nor there as far as I am concerned.

On the basis of the information presented and some of the posts made, I have reached two conclusions.
One I'd probably never have done anyway, and the other I might have, but won't be doing now.

Just following the current trend of cryptic behaviour on BC at the moment.... ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1376901403' post='2180406']
Following a sarcastic, over-defensive rant from the other party, it's now being suggested via someone else that the OP tinkered with the bass somehow.
[/quote]

AIUI (and I read all 94,375 pages of the TB thread) the OP (ie. the TB OP) tried to set it up, ie. did a truss rod adjustment as per specs supplied to him by JC. The neck would appear to be an S-bend rather than a bow, causing buzz from frets 4-10 or so (can't remember exactly, not going to go back there now). OP posted a video to Youtube privately for JC to watch which was later made public and linked to in the original post, and has subsequently been made private again.

The reaction on TB with the flaming torches and pitchforks didn't help. I can understand the OP's motives in making it public as he'd just spent $5k on a bass which was nothing like AC's normal standards, which he thought was show-worn (which was how it was described to him) but turned out to have at least some issues in its actual construction, and then encountered a brick wall when trying to return it. It might have helped JC's cause a bit if he hadn't simply waded in and instead given a bit of thought to his response (or at least that's how I would charitably interpret his response).

I'm one of the many who wouldn't be in the market for an AC anyway (hideously expensive clone of run-of-the-mill bass), so as far as AC's fortunes go, my opinion doesn't matter.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376899705' post='2180378']
Is this still rumbling along? I can't abide threads like this. Apart from the irrelevance (only vaguely aware of the brand and the guy and will never buy one of his basses so basically I don't care) it's 17 pages (and counting) of cyclic argument and reminds me of just about every thread on TB. Too long and too full of puffed up opinionated antagonism.
[/quote]I agree. I've been to Morzine and back for a wedding and this is still blocking the inter-waves?

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1376938456' post='2181259']
I agree. I've been to Morzine and back for a wedding and this is still blocking the inter-waves?
[/quote]

Right on!

The best way to let this thread die is by bumping it to complain that it's rumbling on forever.

:lol:

No one is going to be able to talk on someone else's behalf if any chat was off the record..

Best leave it to the two protaganists involved.... thye got themselves into this...I am sure they can get themselves out of it..
They both have a pretty decent vested interest to do so..??? IMO.