Why become a member? ×

Even the best luthiers have their off-days...

wateroftyne

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376650028' post='2177286']

I find there's lots of snobbery both ways here on BC. You get it from high end owners who wouldn't touch a 'cheap' bass and then the reverse from people who would never pay over xxxx for a bass and think the people who buy the expensive ones are mad.

Both camps like to take a pop at each other now and then and both get equally defensive. Not sure it's particularly 'positive' but it's pretty basic human nature to have some sort of attachment to things and a set of beliefs you want to defend.

Working, albeit only a day or so a week, in a bass shop means I've seen a lot of instruments come through in all sorts of states of repair. There are some that are almost totally faultless and others that are often a bit wonky.

Musicman is definitely somewhere in the middle. I've seen some real beauts but also some complete dogs. Two of the worst paint finishes I've ever seen have been on Rays and another had a neck like a banana and was near unplayable (truss rod was still working too!). A couple of Classics have been in recently and both were really nice and very well finished :)
[/quote]
I'd agree with that, sometimes being in the middle like me is tricky, I'm Mr average gear wise and ability wise I'd say, if I was worse I'd know my place, if I was better I'd be the nuts, I see musicman fitting neatly with that :) my classic is like a snobs Ray anyway :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1376650274' post='2177292']
FWIW, when I started this thread the discussion was intended to be the way this specific complaint was handled. Nothing else.

I have no opinion on AC otherwise. Never played one, couldn't afford one. :-)
[/quote]
Never played one, couldn't afford one...wouldn't want one even if I could.

The complaint was badly handled by the builder, he has lost face...hopefully the victim has been refunded and can spend his hard earned on something nice.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376650486' post='2177296']
I'd agree with that, sometimes being in the middle like me is tricky, I'm Mr average gear wise and ability wise I'd say, if I was worse I'd know my place, if I was better I'd be the nuts, I see musicman fitting neatly with that :) my classic is like a snobs Ray anyway :D
[/quote]

I've seen this a lot as well - you can get 'snobs' within tiny niches.

I've heard a confirmed MM player saying that anything post Ernie Ball isn't a 'proper' Ray (he also explained to me, in great detail, about 'transition era' basses which I'd never heard about before) meanwhile I've also hear people say the Classic & Ltd Edition runs are over-priced and just a way for MM to make some easy money.

Personally I try to approach everything with an open mind - there's very few basses that make me shun away from them. In fact some of our shop favourites have been relatively 'ordinary' and not expensive. There was a killer Fender Jazz Standard in for a while. Completely 'off the peg' US model and it played like a dream and sounded great. We priced it pretty highly thinking it might hang around so we could play it a bit longer but it got snapped up really quickly (by someone who came in to try it in person).

Equally we've had some high end stuff that's left me completely cold but other people have loved - I think that's all part of the fun really :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376651437' post='2177316']
I've heard a confirmed MM player saying that anything post Ernie Ball isn't a 'proper' Ray (he also explained to me, in great detail, about 'transition era' basses which I'd never heard about before) meanwhile I've also hear people say the Classic & Ltd Edition runs are over-priced and just a way for MM to make some easy money.
[/quote]

I'm so glad I will never be one of these people, I'm just not interested in being that much of a fanboy about anything at all. If a bass plays well and sounds good that's good enough for me.

Molan - I'm glad AC is still proving popular and this hasn't affected Bass Gear. I still haven't managed to buy anything yet...but I've got my eye out.

Pete - I'm the same as you. I could sell all my EBMM's and buy two very high end Fender copies, or a vintage Fender. Absolutely no desire to at all....

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376656634' post='2177460']
Modulus are not currently trading , from what I understand , although I've heard a rumour that Genz Benz might be buying the brand .
[/quote]

If that's Genz... that would be Fender then?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1376659720' post='2177533']
If that's Genz... that would be Fender then?
[/quote]

I suppose so , so that would make very little sense . I have heard very conflicting reports , but it seems that Modulus quietly went under just after New Year , and are currently on "hiatus "as a brand while it all gets sorted out ( or not , as the case may be ) . It just shows you what a tough business it can be at the moment . What [i]is [/i]actually happening at Modulus is a bit of a mystery at the moment , but they don't seem to be trading as usual at the moment .

Lots of mutterings about a 'mystery' investor for Modulus.

As it happens one of my least favourite customer service stories (far, far worse than the Jimmy Coppolo one) was regarding a Modulus :(

It wasn't direct from Modulus themselves though, just someone involved in the sales chain.

And no, I'm not going to publicise it here - might make a few people's blood boil and it's really quite a sad turn of events. . .

I would say that , in my experience of comparing them side by side , what you get by buying a good ( emphasis on [i]good [/i]) high quality , high -end bass over something like an EBMM , which I would class as a [u]very [/u]good quality factory- produced bass , is that a boutique bass will play with far less relief in the neck( if you want it that way ) , the action can be lower(if you want it that way ), and a quartersawn and reinforced neck will feel more solid and need less frequent adjustment . In terms of the overall quality of the sound , however , at what they do , I think EBMM basses can match many or even most bespoke basses .

I would be shocked if someone didn't buy Modulus...but it shows how bad the economy is.

SWR is apparently no more, and Genz are (apparently) going through changes....I predict that as they are part of Fender, we are going to see new Fender micro amps from the Genz chaps.

In fact, I want a Modulus, so they best carry on. Flea Bass PLZ.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376664736' post='2177679']
I would say that , in my experience of comparing them side by side , what you get by buying a good ( emphasis on [i]good [/i]) high quality , high -end bass over something like an EBMM , which I would class as a [u]very [/u]good quality factory- produced bass , is that a boutique bass will play with far less relief in the neck( if you want it that way ) , the action can be lower(if you want it that way ), and a quartersawn and reinforced neck will feel more solid and need less frequent adjustment . In terms of the overall quality of the sound , however , at what they do , I think EBMM basses can match many or even most bespoke basses .
[/quote]
Yep I would agree, my 2 SR5s are pretty good in fact the black one is my favourite bass but the blue one would need a fret dress to get a super low action (and super low is not 3mm off the board is it, some people on here have no concept of super low), both the necks are stable though just needed a 1/4 turn after 3 years with this recent weather, now the Classic on the other hand can go super low, like proper low! Old Horse Murphy had it before who has a hand injury (and loads of others from that egg chasing game!, Hi Nick) likes a very low action so I had to raise it up a lot for my 2.5mm off the12th fret nearly no releif neck setting that I have. Someone that has a fancy bass with super low action would need to go down the fancy bass route to be sure but you could get it from lesser basses but its a lucky dip IME. Still never played a Fender with a good B string that wasn't a guitar!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376583854' post='2176492']
They all look like fender jazz basses with slightly different head stocks to me, dull :)
[/quote]

But the headstock is obviously lifted from that paragon of basses, the Teisco Audition:

Who wouldn't want to pay out over £3k for such an epitome of dull?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376664736' post='2177679']
[/quote]
I'm curious as to why a "boutique" bass would play with less relief in the neck than any other. A vibrating string doesn't care how much you paid, the laws of physics remain the same. A bass with perfectly levelled frets will be playable with less relief and lower action than one without, but it's simple enough to achieve a good fret job and setup on almost any properly functioning bass. OK, only the higher end instruments come like that from the maker, and perhaps that's what you meant. I'd agree on the usefulness of a stable and stiff neck though.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1376664777' post='2177680']
I would be shocked if someone didn't buy Modulus...but it shows how bad the economy is.

SWR is apparently no more, and Genz are (apparently) going through changes....I predict that as they are part of Fender, we are going to see new Fender micro amps from the Genz chaps.

In fact, I want a Modulus, so they best carry on. Flea Bass PLZ.
[/quote]

Try selling a high end graphite necked bass at the moment - they are really out of fashion.

I wasn't at all surprised they had problems :(