Why become a member? ×

Should we become a "Tribute" Band?

thebrig

[color=#222222]After nearly TWO years trying to find musicians who want to play good old fashioned no-nonsense Rhythm & Blues, with loads of Dr Feelgood thrown in, I have now got the band I want.

But because people have told us we have nailed the Feelgood sound, we are wondering if we should become a Dr Feelgood “tribute” band.

Our guitarist is a self-confessed Wilko Johnson nut! he is left-handed who plays right-handed with the backs of his fingers just like Wilko, and he really nails Wilko’s choppy sound, and can do the walk/machine gun.
Our vocalist lives near Canvey Island (Feelgood country), and has that gravelly Lee Brilleaux voice, and plays blues harp.
The drummer is well suited to this style of music.
Me? Well I would be happy to walk back and forth while playing my bass lines.

To sum up, we really do sound like Dr Feelgood!

[u][i]So what we want to know now is:[/i][/u][/color]
[color=#222222]Have any of you out there ever played in a “tribute” band, and if so, what advice can you give us?

[b][i]What are the advantages/disadvantages?
Would we get more/less bookings?
Would we need an agent?
Would we alienate some of the audience by playing music by one particular band?
Would we need to do the whole package, for example, dressing and acting like them etc..?[/i][/b]

All comments/advice would be much appreciated.[/color]

SO ...I did the original Spinal Tap tribute band for 17 years - Vinyl Tap, still do it on and off...

[b][i]What are the advantages/disadvantages? [/i][/b][color=#ff0000][b][i]Everyone who comes along knows what they're getting so you 're playing to people who want to hear the music you play, usually makes for great gigs (so long as you're good enough to meet their expectations)[/i][/b][/color]
[b][i]Would we get more/less bookings? [color=#ff0000]Usually more but people will expect a "show" rather than just a gig - it's also dependant on whether the band you're tributing is in fashion - with VT we started when ST was in the cinemas and got some great gigs, then went quiet for a few years until the video was released (got in the official companion book for that :D) same again with the DVD.[/color]
Would we need an agent? [color=#ff0000]Depends how big you get/ how much work you want to put in yourself and where you want to play (and whether you want to give someone else a cut)[/color]
Would we alienate some of the audience by playing music by one particular band? [color=#ff0000]Not the audience as they'll know what to expect when they arrive - you'll only get people coming if they want to see DR Feelgood tho - although you might not get them if they don't know what you do (if you weren't a tribute) if you see what I mean[/color]
Would we need to do the whole package, for example, dressing and acting like them etc..? [color=#ff0000]Up to you really but my view is that if you market yourself as a tribute band then you need to go the whole hog - spandex, pyrotechnics, inflatable stonehenge - oh wait - that was us :)[/color][/i][/b]

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1371108423' post='2109790']

[color=#222222]But because people have told us we have nailed the Feelgood sound, we are wondering if we should become a Dr Feelgood “tribute” band.[/color]

[/quote]

Why do you have to 'become' a tribute band? Just call yourselves a different name when playing an all-Feelgood set (Dr Goodfeel?) and your current name when playing your other stuff.

Play a few gigs in both incarnations and see how they are received and which one you most enjoy.

Loads of people play in multiple bands. it may be less common for a single group of musicians to play as multiple bands but why should it matter? As long as each entity promotes itself clearly, who cares?

I think that hedging our bets by playing alternative material might be a good idea.
I must say, we will only be looking to play the local circuit, unless it really takes off and we get offered bigger gigs, but for now, it's just for fun!

You probably know this, but there's a Feelgood fan website based in Germany but presented in English. They did a fan poll a few years ago which ranked the top 25 most popular Feelgoods numbers. May be of use when finalising your setlist.

[url="http://www.drfeelgood.de/top25.htm"]http://www.drfeelgood.de/top25.htm[/url]

Thing about a Feelgoods trib is that one group of fans might have a distinct preference for the Wilko era. Another lot might want to hear the later, more 'commercial' stuff featuring Gypie, Johnny Guitar etc. Balancing act, I s'pose.

BC-er Wayne58 has toured with Mark Radcliffe's Big Figures as support to Wilko over the last couple of years. He's a very nice guy - may be worth PM-ing him to touch base and say Hi.

As for looking like them, I'd imagine that getting the 70's petty criminal look might be a bit difficult these days. Finding a powder-blue 'Bastard Suit' to fit could be a problem. That said, some tightly-cut dark suits for the band, light grey for the singer, snazzy ties all round would do the job. T-shirts and jeans an absolute no-no.

IMO, today's Feelgoods don't look quite 'sharp' enough in the sartorial department. Observe.

[color=#FFFFFF][/color]
[size=3][b]Mk1 Feelgoods[/b]: Sharp, yet seedy.[/size]

[color=#FFFFFF][/color]
[size=3][b]Current Feegoods[/b]: NOI but could do better. Two-tone shoes - too much. Tie-less frontman - Not enough[/size]
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

How about a baptism by fire? There is a sports club in Hullbridge that is increas9ingly becoming a decent music venue called Touchline Music. They hold a jam night every other Wednesday that is arranged by Phil Mitchell, no less (current bass player with Dr Feelgood - has been for the last 30 years, in fact). Just turn up and play - be interesting to see how you get on there!!

I`d say go for it. Whenever I see bands do Feelgood covers they go down a storm.

I suppose I may be slightly biased here though, with you guys being not too far from me, I`ll probably be at many of your gigs if it takes off :)

But in reality, they are a good band to do a tribute to - the "look" is easy enough, you don`t require bucket-loads of effects, quite the opposite in fact, and being fairly fast-tempo not too many timing issues that need hours of rehearsal.

And, without being morbid, due to Wilkos current health-issues, he/The Feelgoods are probably more in mainstream peoples minds than a few years back due the recent media coverage.

[sub]I agree that there is no reason why you cant do both, even if it means setting up two websites. You should certainly get paid more for the tribute side as they are so popular at the moment. I also agree that you need to go all the way as regards to stage show and what to wear, although I would draw the line at 'pretending to be the actual people themselves'. I saw a Queen tribute once who talked to each other on stage as if they were Freddie, John. Brian etc.....way to cheesy. But certainly get the clothes right and a back drop. At least if you run with both, you can drop one off if the tribute band is working and visa versa. As for agents, I wouldn't bother at first. See if you can get gigs yourself and only approach an agent if you are struggling as they will want at least 20% and send you to any old sh*t hole, as I have experienced.[/sub]

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1371108423' post='2109790']
[color=#222222]Our guitarist is a self-confessed Wilko Johnson nut! he is left-handed who plays right-handed with the backs of his fingers just like Wilko, and he really nails Wilko’s choppy sound, and can do the walk/machine gun.[/color]
[/quote]

Excellent! It requires more talent than people expect. But can your guitarist 'boggle' like the man himself? And get it period-correct?

[size=3][b]Early Career[/b]: Mk1 Boggle[/size]

[size=3][b]Mid-career[/b]: Mk 2 boggle[/size]

[size=3][b]Later career[/b]: Mk3 boggle[/size]

If you sound like the Feelgoods and can look like them, then do it.

Busy tribute bands are usually very good, so do it well and you'll have fun being successful.

You can also go out under a different name with a different set if you want variety.

Do it. I was in a band that went from doing standard rock stuff with the odd Queen number to a very successful Queen tribute band. We just learnt the 'Live at Wembley '86' set and played that up and down the country for a few years.

Be prepared for it to get a bit grating though - playing the same set at every gig a few nights a week can really send you under. :blink:

Edited by paul_5

I'm not really into seeing tribute bands but a Dr Feelgood tribute sounds a good idea. If it's done well it's the sort of music that always gets a good reaction. I used to see loads of Pub Rock in London in the 70s and 80s and you always felt good on the way home after a Feelgoods gig. Real good time music!

The good thing about tribute bands is that the gigs should be higher paid than your average pub band gigs (I was told last week by an Oasis tribute bands guitarist that if I joined their band, I would make a decent living without a day job) But the things that would worry me about this are, (1) that (a version of) Dr Feelgood are still gigging and are relatively easy to see. They played in a high school assembly hall near me quite recently, for instance. And (2) the prison haircuts and demob suits..... No reason to not do both though.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1371115689' post='2109911']
As for looking like them, I'd imagine that getting the 70's petty criminal look might be a bit difficult these days. Finding a powder-blue 'Bastard Suit' to fit could be a problem. [color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]
My brothers wardrobe would be a good place to start - he hasn't bought a new suit since the early/mid 70's.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1371115689' post='2109911']
As for looking like them, I'd imagine that getting the 70's petty criminal look might be a bit difficult these days. Finding a powder-blue 'Bastard Suit' to fit could be a problem.
[/quote]

To fit? Surely fitting properly would detract from the look, if anything?

If you're serious about making some dough from it I'd agree with flyfisher and vote "do both". Keep up whatever your current gigging commitments are with the existing band but use the contacts you have to launch the Feelgood trib as a whole new project.

I'd just make sure you do enough to differentiate the two acts - don't dress too much like the Feelgood look with the general covers band, don't load that set up with Feelgood numbers either. Make it clear visually, audibly and in your communications and promotion that its two wholly separate acts and get stuck in!

In my function band we work with a number of agencies and whilst we get a fair few gigs under our own steam we would miss out on a lot by trying to fly completely solo. There's demand for good tributes all over the UK and further afield so if your act is sharp and you guys are keen you could potentially keep busy and make some good money out of it - a good agent who knows and works the tribute circuit would make that much easier. Depends how far you want to go with it!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1371130189' post='2110186']
Advantages: see above

Disadvantages: You will burn in hell for eternity.

What? \©/
[/quote]

There is a special corner of hell reserved for 'tribute' acts with Matthew Kelly as compere and a million Simon Cowell clones as the audience.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1371110127' post='2109807']

Why do you have to 'become' a tribute band? Just call yourselves a different name when playing an all-Feelgood set (Dr Goodfeel?) and your current name when playing your other stuff.

Play a few gigs in both incarnations and see how they are received and which one you most enjoy.

[/quote]This.

Dr Goodfeel; what a great name.

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1371140183' post='2110435']
I agree & the UK domain is available [url="http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=drgoodfeel.co.uk"]http://www.nominet.o...rgoodfeel.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]
We already have what we think is a great name, and we also have the [b].com[/b] domain as well.

Please keep the advice coming, as we are following all your comments with great interest.