Why become a member? ×

What do you do? When you don't feel like practicing?

SevenSeas

Hi Basschat,

Well basically I normally religiously practice everyday, get up at 6.30 practice double bass 7-9 go to work, come back from work practice electric from about 6.30 - 9.00 bit of piano 30 mins (nothing serious) then chill and do the same the next day.

Now i've had the last two days off which is the first free two days off I've had in a couple of months (either i'm at work or have a gig etc) but just couldn't practice wasn't motivated enough?

What do people do when they feel too burned out to practice? The other problem is I can never 'fully switch off' even now I feel guilty about not practicing when I should be, how does everyone else switch off?

Guest bassman7755

I imagine about 1% of people on here do any form of musical musical study or practice, its quite telling that the forum on here which has by far the lowest posting rate is the "theory and technique" one ...

Aside from at band practice yesterday, I`ve not picked up my bass since last Sat. Got a few things going on at present, so can`t settle into it. But am not fussed, it will pass, and I`ll be back hammering away soon.

I endeavour to practice every night when I get home from work, usually the first half an hour to an hour I'm home before I start making tea.

On the weekends I tend to do far more, anything between 2 and 8 hours depending what I have on and whether I have a gig or not (tend not to play as much on days where I have a gig in the evening)

However, if there are days when I really don't feel like, I don't. I think it's healthy to have a break now and then.

Ultimately if you have to force yourself to play then you'll zap your enjoyment out of it surely?

I practice whenever I can, which whilst balancing a sporadic work schedule and a new baby it's not as often as I'd like.

I wish I could get to the point when I didn't fancy practicing!

I usually alternate days of practice between bass (anything and everything, including being aboit to do my third grade 8) and piano (currently about to do grade 4).
If I can't practice because I've spare time and I don't have an instrument with me (rare) or its not really possible then I'll do some theory work as I'm about to do grade 6 theory, which I'm really enjoying doing.
As I'm not in a band due to working away so often I find having exams, grades and goals to work towards something that keeps me focused on an end result rathe than just widdling through the same old stuff.

I'm very jealous of you being able to practice as much as you do, I'm sure plenty of teachers an experience players on here will be able to give you advice on how to vary your practice and keep you motivated!

What do I do when I don't feel like practising?
My wife, build my house, go on Basschat, do something in the garden* or play Xbox.

*actually it's some weed ridden land, but it's a garden to me.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1369929130' post='2094602']
What do people do when they feel too burned out to practice?
[/quote]

Anything other than force myself to continue practising. Tried that. Didn't work.

In fact, enforced breaks (of weeks, in the last instance) have been of more benefit to me than extended practice. You come back to it to find your fingers working at double speed and all sorts of previously unplayable passages flowing forth like bananas out the ying-yang. Must be the old subconscious processing and refining.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1369938044' post='2094767']
Anything other than force myself to continue practising. Tried that. Didn't work.

In fact, enforced breaks (of weeks, in the last instance) have been of more benefit to me than extended practice. You come back to it to find your fingers working at double speed and all sorts of previously unplayable passages flowing forth like bananas out the ying-yang. Must be the old subconscious processing and refining.
[/quote]
+ 1 to that, I really should be practicing tonight but I have had a sh**ty day at work and really can't be bothered tonight as I know I will just get the hump because I can't play something right first time, that will just make for a wasted session

I try to practice every day, but not nearly as much as the OP. An hour a day tops, maybe 2 hours a day at weekends if I'm at home.
Nevertheless I do find I don't feel like it sometimes. Especially over the last few montbs tbh.
For the first year it was such a novelty and a joy that I couldn't stop myself. And I was on such a steep learning curve I felt I progressed in leaps and bounds. Now I feel I've plateaued out a bit and sometimes it's a bit of a chore.
Nevertheless, what I do when I don't feel like practicing is pick up the bass and play something I know and love. At the moment it's Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana. Can't get enough of it.
Then after I've done that a couple of times I'm more in the mood to go over some theory and practice some stuff I can't do.
Which reminds me..I should be practicing right now! Where's that Nirvana CD?

Circumstances and responsibilities dictate things so much these days. The last time i practiced regularly, was 3 years ago. That was when i was last in a band.even then, it was learning covers on you tube. Getting up at 5 am , and not betting home till 645 on alternate weeks due to work saps my energy, and i dont practice as much.
Infact , i hardly practice at all.
What i have been doing lately, is playing more with my thumb(not slap) and getting familiar with my effects. When i get round to it, i aim to use 1 of my basses dadg& see if i can get new ideas. Also tune my 8 string bead(the octave onesvtuned higher)
I find that lately, I am more relaxed noodling around and my playing has improved . I dont get toohung up on practicing, as that could lead me to just quit for a long time like i did previously. So, if i dont practice as often i dont worry ;)

Don't play. I don't want bass playing to be a chore. If I've got gigs or stuff coming up then I'll make sure I really hunker sown to it, but I've got definite targets in situations like that, and it's easier (for me) to put the hours in.

These days when I pick up the guitar or bass, it's either to play for the simple joy of playing, or to work on new song ideas. If I come up with an idea that I'm unable to execute properly I'll work on it until I can do it, but apart from that I can't say I've ever done any practicing for the sake of practicing since I finally learnt how to string a bunch of simple chords together some 40 years ago.

I am the same , but sometimes I envy those who hear a tune , especially on a piano , and can play along .
I am sure that to play perfectly requires the sort of practice and dedication that I can't do , but I get by and when recording I can do a few takes in my own time and am not playing live on the radio or tv so my technique probably isn't up to scrutiny .
If you want to be at the top , it needs the work , sometimes other things take your time , but you have to know your destination before you plan your journey , though sometimes the journey is all .

I try not to do anything I don't fancy doing so I don't practise. I play 6 string a bit when bored , we have an odd rehearsal cum drinking session and we gig tons - that's enough for me these days - and probably why my playing is not what it could be, or used to be for that matter. My average is better than most and I settle for it - bad attitude but there it is.

Currently I can play well enough for my own gigging and playing needs. So I don't practice unless I'm messing about on some instrument or another for fun/keeping my fingers hard enough to gig with.
I am aware of the theories that one needs to practice all the time to be great, but I aspire to mediocrity and have achieved it.
:)
It leaves me time to do useful things, like drink cider, read books and listen to residents records.