Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence - Do You Have Any?

xilddx

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1365112967' post='2035644']
Haha! I think the day when you commission a custom bass is the day your best friend should punch you in the face. Like your art is so unique it requires a bespoke instrument. Your art as a bass player - no other instrument screams 'accompaniment' like the bass guitar, nobody needs a bespoke bass built to their own specification unless they have a disability and require a uniquely accessible instrument.
[/quote]

What's wrong with wanted something even if you don't need it?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1365112967' post='2035644']nobody needs a bespoke bass built to their own specification unless they have a disability and require a uniquely accessible instrument, or God forbid actually have a personal taste for an instrument which isn't available off the shelf, has a combination of woods which isn't available off the shelf, or wants a sound and facility which no other bass can reproduce but can actually sound like other basses, got fed up of run-of-the-mill basses with either/or quality issues, availability, not what they thought it would be, over-priced and lastly but not least has a mind of their own.[/quote]

Fixed it for you ;)

I just play... I react to what is going on and if the music is going well, I may move more.
I think we have a degree of presence and I always try and make eye contact with the audience, but mostly
the connection is the music...
Without that, you have no where to go...

Haha! I think the day when you commission a custom bass is the day your best friend should punch you in the face. Like your art is so unique it requires a bespoke instrument. Your art as a bass player - no other instrument screams 'accompaniment' like the bass guitar, nobody needs a bespoke bass built to their own specification unless they have a disability and require a uniquely accessible instrument.
[/quote]

Unless the builder can build you a bass that you want, and can't get elsewhere...

[/quote]

What a brave new world you live in where "need" is the only criterion of what instrument you buy. What if you just want a custom bass, for no reason other than it's what you want? Is that some bass playing offence of which I should be aware?

[/quote]

You are my new Hero.

...nobody needs a bespoke bass built to their own specification unless they have a disability and require a uniquely accessible instrument.
[/quote]

Then call me disabled.

[/quote]

How do we nominate 'stickies'?

[quote name='BassSwede' timestamp='1365271866' post='2037538']
So big yes for you then. And that is a really cool picture!
[/quote]

Thanks!

That's me playing "Attack of the 50ft Frankenbride" to serval hundred bemused bikers, doing my best to disguise the fact that I can't hear sh*t on stage, and I've just noticed that the drummer has a different set list to the rest of us...

I'm totally comfortable on a stage.

I'll often walk about and chat with my fellow musicians, laugh and joke with the audience and am a serial heckler (both band and audience and sometimes both at the same time).

I generally stick to black jeans, white collarless shirts, black boots and a black waistcoat when I'm playing - having a limited colour palette to choose from means it's one less thing to make a decision about. :)

The one (and only) time I ever tried dancing on a stage led to me falling off of it, so I never tried it a second time. :D

At the end of the night, when the clichéd band introductions are made, I usually get the biggest round of applause and a standing ovation.
We think it's because people are relieved to know that they'll soon be seeing the back of me. :blink:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365272407' post='2037556']
Thanks!

That's me playing "Attack of the 50ft Frankenbride" to serval hundred bemused bikers, doing my best to disguise the fact that I can't hear sh*t on stage, [b]and I've just noticed that the drummer has a different set list to the rest of us...[/b]
[/quote]

So that is your "Awww shait this is going to end badly!" face? :-)

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best bands I've seen live in recent years is Lau. They have great stage presence, and a great rapport with the audience, and have won "best band" several years on the trot in the BBC Folk awards. But, to look at, they're just three blokes dressed in their everyday clothes sat on chairs (admittedly Martin Green rocks around on his like a demented muppet when the mood takes him). It's their musicianship and personality that makes their gigs great events, not theatrics or costumes. On the other hand, without theatrics and costumes, our morris band would be entirely pointless. So it's horses for courses, really. Some genres are all about the music, others are all about the show, and some are a bit of both. Generally, I think, the more substance the music has, the less important the theatrics are.

Edited by Earbrass

Good post Earbrass. Although for me it wouldn't really matter how interesting the visuals were, if I didn't like what a band was playing I'd probably be out of there in 10 minutes. Much more inclined to put up with a band with poor looks but played superbly as a unit. As you say it is all a matter of balance.

Edited by KevB

I was dead nervous and wooden first couple of years gigging, recently Ive just been looser and more pumped that people want to be in a band with me and enjoy every second. Not sure its actually 'stage presence' with sideways wabbles and an occasional walk in a circle then back my spot for more wabbles.

EarBass - I agree with the horses for courses bit... I haven't heard of Lau, but I dont listen to much folk music beyond Dian Cluck and Josphine Foster and I dont think the genre is really image driven, but thats really by design... just imagine Queen without Freddie and remember Kiss without the make-up were PLOP! What I mean is that a 'no image' persona actually is an image. If I watched Thom Yorke all smiley and happy, I'd not have got the misery I'd just paid to see.

Remeber that Mighty Boosh folk band?...

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/ep73.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by Left Foot

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1367422980' post='2065477']
In my head, I'm grooving nicely to the music, and the epitome of cool. Whenever I see a picture of me onstage, I'm a miserable bugger :-(
[/quote]

^
This!

I look like a right miserable fecker on stage.... To the point I've taken to wearing a hat so it's harder to see my facial expressions :lol: