Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence - Do You Have Any?

xilddx

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1364938331' post='2033149']
I'm reminded of a classic YT video. It's probably done the rounds a thousand times, but it seems apt again in this thread. I won't embed it, but just in case there are one or two who haven't yet seen it...

'Mark Hoppus - Bassists Look Too Bored':

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF7vghzj6pk&feature[/media]

BB

Tee hee, I hadn't seen it :D

Edit: I [i]tried[/i] not to embed it, but alas...
[/quote]

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1364926610' post='2032820']
[media]http://youtu.be/ThZZnS4Jvwc[/media]

We take everything from these guys, from handshakes at beginning and end of gig to the clothes.
[/quote]

That works. It fits the vibe of the music.

This doesn't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L4AooQza4U

Another one here who grew up on punk & glam so I haven't copied the book of stage move (sic) by Bill Wyman

My current band is on the alt.country scene and my last comment from an audience member was I was like watching Paul Simonon which has to be the best compliment ever. My Facebook highlight on a band photo was "he thinks he is country but still holds it like he is in the Quireboys!"

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1364927958' post='2032861']
But he used to be Victoria Coren. I think he's a shape shifter.

Anyway, back OT..
[/quote]

There comes a time in a mans' life when he realises that Victoria Coren is never going to see his simple but heartfelt tribute to her charm and beauty in the form of his chosen profile picture on a bass forum . We are both moving on with our lives .

I just recently started playing in a duo (me playing bass and singing) and a singer / guitarist; and this has made me realise how much the audience rely on the 'band' to put on a show. As the singer is mostly tied to his mic - it's up to me to put on a show... next gig I was thinking about wearing a skirt and dancing around like a loon. That would work right?

For me its not so much the movement as the 'into'. I (used to) love watching Norman with Wilko, his whole body seemed to be in unison with his bass and the music and I loved it.

I used to 'move' around a lot more than I do, I suppose it was more fashionable but mostly I was there to perform and entertain, if the band is dull with with no energy how will the audience react?

I have now released my inhibitions and suffer much more from 'bass face' and movements associated with the playing and the band than movement for it's own sake. I feel a lot more presence from other bass players who do this and hope to give the same but mainly I play a lot better and enjoy myself more. I think this is more entertaining.

Regardless of how much you like the track here you can totally understand the bass playing here because you can see it as well as hear it. I find this compelling and so a huge presence. Wilko's movements are great too, but much more for entertainment. How I'll miss this band.
http://youtu.be/qB1ckQwBlb0

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364965850' post='2033345']
There comes a time in a man's life when he realises that Victoria Coren is never going to see his simple but heartfelt tribute to her charm and beauty in the form of his chosen profile picture on a bass forum. We are both moving on with our lives .
[/quote]

Well done for moving on from Victoria Coren, but... The Krankies..?? :D ...[size=4]You know that's not really his dad, don't you?[/size]

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1364985472' post='2033589']
But what if you are employed by someone to be their backing band? If the front man wants all the attention then it is your job to stay out of the way and generally keep a low profile isn't it?
[/quote]

Prime example being Bill Black who got told by Colonel Parker "Hey, man, you've got to cut this out. You're not the star. Elvis is the star."

Steve

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1364985472' post='2033589']
But what if you are employed by someone to be their backing band? If the front man wants all the attention then it is your job to stay out of the way and generally keep a low profile isn't it?
[/quote]
Depends on the artist. But yes, generally speaking, a backing band would keep a lower profile.

Now here's a good example of stage presence. The boy Rossi is superb here. He's not leaping about all over the place but the way he's looking at the girls in the audience will have them swooning.
Very nicely done Mr R.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlxaU6lhwE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlxaU6lhwE[/url]

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1364998212' post='2033864']
Here's the first serious rock band I ever saw. This, for me, is real stage presence. But you had to be there.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjeIUpD9Emo[/media]
[/quote]

I was there! (well not literally at that gig, but I did see them around the same time)
And I agree. :gas:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1364998383' post='2033869']
I was there! (well not literally at that gig, but I did see them around the same time)
[/quote]

Yep, Bradford in 1981 for me. Budgie were one of the support bands and tickets were about a fiver. Once Gillan strode out centre stage in his denim jacket and usually white or red high heeled boots he had that crowd in the palm of his hands from first note to last. Would have liked to have seen Zeppelin in their full pomp around 76 but caught the heavy rock bug a fraction too late.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1365005027' post='2034037']
Queen famously supported Mott The Hoople and wiped the floor with them, so I guess you do have to be careful.
[/quote]

I know which band I'd rather see (although I do, of course, acknowledge the larger than life stage presence of Queen's ex-singer).

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1364998383' post='2033869']
[/quote]

It's where you have to feel sorry for singers finding something to do during long instrumentals. Roger Daltry was good at it, but I'm sure it was the part he liked least.