Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence - Do You Have Any?

xilddx

Actually, this is a serious question my band needs to find an answer to at the moment. The problem is that we can bash out the songs perfectly well, but our singer and guitarist seem to be lacking in that hard-to-define quality which we call stage presence. This is a problem for a lot of bands, but it certainly needs addressing when the rhythm section seems to present more character than the "front" of the band. And I'm very much in the John Entwistle school of standing still and letting the fingers do the talking.

Thing is, if either of them comes out of their shell a bit more then the other will follow - it's just getting them into character which seems to be the problem. Which is ironic, because they both trained as actors...

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

I once was having a whinge about our singer running about the stage, almost impaling himself on my bass's pointy headstock. Soundchap (a fellow bassist) told me 'No, that's good. It gives the audience licence to have a good time too.'

Must be working as I remember seven drunken women on stage with us on Saturday. All yelling 'Ride Sally Ride!' :-)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1364907210' post='2032412']
Actually, this is a serious question my band needs to find an answer to at the moment. The problem is that we can bash out the songs perfectly well, but our singer and guitarist seem to be lacking in that hard-to-define quality which we call stage presence. This is a problem for a lot of bands, but it certainly needs addressing when the rhythm section seems to present more character than the "front" of the band. And I'm very much in the John Entwistle school of standing still and letting the fingers do the talking.

Thing is, if either of them comes out of their shell a bit more then the other will follow - it's just getting them into character which seems to be the problem. Which is ironic, because they both trained as actors...
[/quote]

I find any kind of "uniform" helps me :) both times I've been part of the band in terms of dressing up in some way I've come out of my shell majorly. Other times, not so much

Not sure about my own stage presence!
but I'm bored to tears after about 5 minutes if watching a band and all they do is look at the floor or their fretting hands.. Guess it also depends on what kind of music your play, either-way I like a bit of eye contact or at least interaction between the Band.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1364907890' post='2032428']
I find any kind of "uniform" helps me :) both times I've been part of the band in terms of dressing up in some way I've come out of my shell majorly. Other times, not so much
[/quote]

Yep. We took somebodies sound advice this time last year and bought some cheap shirts, suits and skinny ties. We went from three individuals to being a band overnight. Our confidence levels all got raised a notch. It really helps post gig with people who want to buy CDs or fluff your ego too.
Obviously it's all about context. Wouldn't work for every band or genre admittedly.

One of the bands I play in just forked out for leopard skin bowling shirts (shudder). It's all showbiz and people have paid for a bit of a show. If you're playing to a paying audience you need to make a bit of an effort.

Edited by gjones

There is a misconception here that 'Stage presence' means having to jump around on stage.
IMO 'Stage presence' can come from being totally relaxed and confident on stage, not being timid, making eye contact, making the occasional excursion to the front of the stage, make as if you'd like to scoop up and embrace every punter - all at the same time as being totally focused on what you're playing.
Before going on stage it can help if you get in to the mind set that the audience are about to expeience something truly extraordinary, an almost religious experience. Of course all that's not going to work if you have no confidence in yourself or your band.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1364909738' post='2032461']
There is a misconception here that 'Stage presence' means having to jump around on stage.
IMO 'Stage presence' can come from being totally relaxed and confident on stage, not being timid, making eye contact, making the occasional excursion to the front of the stage, make as if you'd like to scoop up and embrace every punter - all at the same time as being totally focused on what you're playing.
Before going on stage it can help if you get in to the mind set that the audience are about to expeience something truly extraordinary, an almost religious experience. Of course all that's not going to work if you have no confidence in yourself or your band.
[/quote]

+1 Great post. What's worse than a band who have no presence at all is a band who are obviously trying [i]way [/i]too hard. Not cool! B)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364909885' post='2032462']
+1 Great post. What's worse than a band who have no presence at all is a band who are obviously trying [i]way [/i]too hard. Not cool! B)
[/quote]

I dunno, apparently my "coolest" stage moment was one of the most demanding times of any gig of my life... admittedly the rear of my strap had come undone so it wasn't on purpose but apparently going onto one knee with the bass upright on the other (from standing) without missing a beat was pretty cool from the audiences view. :lol: (I didn't realise this at the time and felt like a right prat)

[/quote]

Excellent post.

As Discreet said there are a lot of bands that come across as cringeworthy when it's too forced.

We played a gig with two other bands. One had a bonkers front man all over the stage, madcap antics and slightly deranged. It was huge entertainment because he was totally genuine. I asked him if he was like that every gig and he replied once he got up there he couldn't help himself. The rest of the band were fun too bouncing off his energy.
The other band had a front man who did all the moves, had a dance and gurned away like no tomorrow. And it all looked toe curlingly awful and fake. I guess you have to mean it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't push yourself but it has to feel somewhat natural. Being genuine and having a good think about it like SteveK says prior to getting on stage is a great idea I shall try next gig.

I suppose it depends on the type of music, but I've seen too many bands who play very well but spend two hours rooted to the spot, looking at their fretboards and stomp boxes. It's like watching the telly.

Of course, it's hard to play 16th notes while doing scissor kicks and licking the sweat off the girls in the front row, but hey - it's rock and roll. People are there watching you because they [i]don't[/i] want to watch telly...!

More than theatrics -- it's charisma. And ya either got it or ya ain't. McCArtney and Sting are perfect examples of people who are simply captivating on stage just doing their thing. Meanwhile, posers are trying so hard to be spectacular just wind up looking like losers.

It's kinda like Johnny Depp. People say he's a great actor but he just underacts. He does have a great face though. Meanwhile, some short, fat bald guy can recite Hamlet and no one is going to want to hear it.

I think I'm developing some. When I first started playing I was too nervous to do much. Plus since I only do jam nights ATM there isn't much room for running about.
But I always try to look at the audience during the easier bits, tho eyes are glued to fretboard when anything tricky comes up.
I do try a few moves during rehearsals. I think that's a good opportunity for finding out whether it puts you off your playing or not.
But it all depends what you're playing of course. A TM we're doing Cars by Gary Numan. For that I'm just staring straight ahead and looking a bit po faced. Singer is trying to do some Numanesque head jerks. A man less like Gary Numan in appearance it would be hard to find, so it could be quite amusing. But I digress...

There was once a (rather scathing) review written of my old band that contained the killer line "And no, Mr Bass Player, flailing around the stage like a lunatic does not equal passion".

I like to enjoy myself on stage - not my fault if the critics can't hack it!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1364915319' post='2032558']
There was once a (rather scathing) review written of my old band that contained the killer line "And no, Mr Bass Player, flailing around the stage like a lunatic does not equal passion".

I like to enjoy myself on stage - not my fault if the critics can't hack it!
[/quote]

Ouch! But then again - stuff 'em!! Go for it...

Well, I'm a big, fat, ugly, monster, and I've been told that I (can) look really intimidating.* I don't jump about on stage, but I do sort of "feel the groove", if you know what I mean? If I have any stage presence, then it's down to my physical size and the thunderous but well-defined sound I try to achieve.

*In reality, anyone who knows me will say that I make an average kitten look like a hardened criminal.

:)

[/quote]

Another +1

Absolutely spot on.

To be perfectly honest with you , I've got a little bit too much stage prescence . I've got it even when I don't want it , like when I walk down the street or go to the supermarket . People notice me wherever I go . It gets to be a bit of a problem , especially when this stage prescence is perceived by the local constabulary as grounds to stop and search me on a regular basis .

Edited by Dingus

I think I do. I'll echo the comment it's all about confidence.

I've played with a singer who hadn't gigged for a while. She said afterwards that whenever she started to get a bit nervous she would turn and look at me and see me there smiling and looking relaxed and she knew everything was going to be ok.

Unfortunately the two guys on the other side of the stage still look petrified, go stiff, stare at their fretboards or music and start making mistakes as soon as anyone as much as looks at us.