Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1363792338' post='2017715']
There just seemed to me to be more than a hint of an undertone from some posters that 'playing in an originals band only' and people saying they couldn't 'do' a covers band is giving them some sort of 'moral' musical superiority than those that do.
Maybe, (as with many threads on here and forums in general) that it's the typing thing and that if we were to be sat chatting in a pub about the same subject, then I wouldn't have felt the same.
[/quote]

It reminds me of how cricket used to be. The 'Gentleman Amateurs' looking down on the lowly 'professionals' !

I love originals bands - I go see them regularly. Our covers band occassionaly gets to give a young originals band exposure because they find it hard to get work. We help them out with gear , make sure they're paid fairly too and we try and get them headline work at the venue. I don't feel an 'us' and 'them' thing so I'm at a loss to think why some folk do. It's just folk playing music. Folk doing what they want - and in many cases reading through this thread - folk doing both original and covers projects. It used to be quite common to see bands doing a covers set to fund recording of their original songs. Sounds a bloody good idea to me.

Professional musicians aren't being mentioned much - what about them ? Most , I imagine , play whatever pays the bills - using their particular skills to enhance a project whether they love the music or not. Maybe they get asked to do an album of covers - what are they supposed to say 'I don't do covers , it's beneath me' ?

Folk play and do what they want - whatever makes them happy at the time - they can feel free to change that at any time. Where's the problem?

We're all so close in ages because we've known each other (and been in various bands with each other) for 30 years - two of us even went to school together. It makes for a the ideal combination, creating good music with great mates: we'd hang out with each other anyway - in fact we do even when, for whatever reason, we can't actually rehearse - in those cases the rehearsal just turns into a social evening.

Oh yeah, and Dr Dave's just reminded me - our originals band goes out as a covers band to raise money to fund the next album.

Edited by Muzz

People seem to have a different relationship with making music - some have a need to be part of a creative process while others just want to play!

I sometimes wish that I could go back in time and have a word with my younger self, who was gigging exclusively in bands playing original material. I would tell him to join a covers band in addition to the originals – I would have played a lot more gigs at a younger age, had a lot of fun and become a better player quicker…

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363797110' post='2017833']
Must be something about elder devonians :)

You won't be short of bass players in North Devon, it's riddled with them ;) ;)

Just don't play Sex on Fire, I don't think the pubs of devon can handle that any more.

You could ask Jon Wines, although I don't think he's forgiven you for leaving the last covers band you were in together :lol:
[/quote]

It's finding bass players in Devon that don't mind playing really obvious covers (I will never do sex on fire though) in the Cream, hendrix, Zeppelin vein. And aren't scared to play with me (and equally haven't before) and don't suck. Same with drummers,
And I never left Wedge, I just moved, Jon never rang me.... might put them back together actually.....
Sorry, end to thread Hijack.....
:)
I think you would hate my set-list marv. :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363797552' post='2017841']

Professional musicians aren't being mentioned much - what about them ? Most , I imagine , play whatever pays the bills - using their particular skills to enhance a project whether they love the music or not. Maybe they get asked to do an album of covers - what are they supposed to say 'I don't do covers , it's beneath me' ?

[/quote]
This is my understanding as well...

You don't hear classical musicians complaining that they have to Mozart or Faure or Dvorak and other great composers. Why can't rock/pop musicians play the great tunes from the songbook of their life story? If other people also enjoy the experience so much the better.

I have just joined a second band, doing covers, just like the other one, The new band consists of some superb musicians (and me!) and, after much soul searching and deliberation, I have come to the earth shattering conclusion, that the reason we play in covers bands is simple, we love doing it! we are happy doing it, if other prefer originals, then more power to them, enjoy and the best of luck. We all have our own preferences, and to me at least, none should be classed as better or worse.just do what suits you and what you enjoy best!

had to keep editing this, bloody letter N on my keyboard keeps sticking!

Edited by bridge

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363796259' post='2017811']
As most of you know I play in an originals band and a "classic rock" covers band.

I joined the covers band, because one of the guitarist who's a good friend of mine happened to mention that their old bass player was leaving and would I be interested in joining? Since my previous band had been doing some covers in their set and for the first time in my musical "career" I hadn't been the main song writer which had actually led to me developing far more as musician, plus the fact that I'd seen his band play and they were a lot of fun, I said "yes".

However at around the same time I met up with the people who eventually became the Terrortones. So I found myself playing both cover and originals. And while the covers is a lot of fun, the Terrortones have turned out to be probably the most exciting and hard working band I've ever played with. After years of playing my own compositions to small mostly indifferent audiences, I'm suddenly in an originals band that has an enthusiastic following, gets gigs all over the country, and actually gets paid for them!

TBH if the Terrortones keep on growing, I can't see myself doing the covers band thing for much longer as I simply won't have the time for it.

So why am I in covers band. Because it's fun and I get to play some great songs from my youth. However no matter how much fun it is it will never match the buzz I get from the Terrortones.
[/quote]

You're an inspiration and I bet most of us would like to be in your position.

I'd love to be in an originals band, but don't have the talent to start one and there don't seem to be many around looking for a bassist like me.

The covers band I'm in doesn't stick too closely to the originals and completely re-does some songs, but that's the limit of our creativity.

Cover bands are great, but also 'soul destroying' if you are the typical run of the mill, recreating a few tired rock songs then being of so [b]incredibly exciting[/b] with a very lacklustre cover of an early Green Day song.

If I had the choice? My own/my own bands material, EVERY time. Unless its a high profile covers band who really are good at nailing a lot of different styles.

When I've gigged in covers bands, I've often felt quite fake.

If you want to play your own music, concentrate on months of getting it right, and don't gig every gig you get offered.

This has been a very interesting thread to read :) and hats off for not letting is turn into handbags at dawn :D hehe.

I have to say, it can be kind disheartening at times trying to write and perform originals, but then I listen to the stuff that people like Nige and BRX are a part of, (both of which are fantastic btw :)), and I remember exactly why I started playing in the first place.

Covers bands can be fun, and I'm enjoying the gigs I'm currently playing with the country rock cover band I'm depping in, but my dream is, and always will be, to be up on a stage hearing people singing along to something I've written. There is just no feeling quite like it for me.

Edited by jackers

My approach to playing is the same in both my originals and covers band.

I have a song structure to follow and a bass line to play which I can embellish here and there with fills etc but MY opinion is that my role as a bass player is to support the song/band. In my originals band I try and write a bass part which at best enhances the song or at least fits the song, a skill I learned from playing covers and listening to my fellow band mates as well as recording of other bands/players. I've played my own songs more in the last 6 months than anyone other tunes so I'm basically covering myself at every practice and gig!

Cutting to the chase my point is with playing live, as long as the punters (and the band are enjoying it), it doesn't matter who wrote the song in the first place as you'll likely have already played it 100's of times be it a cover or original. I enjoy the money from gigging covers and the reception from an appreciative crowd, especially if it's our own material. I wouldn't give up my originals band to play covers exclusively or vice versa and fortunately I don't have to :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363779854' post='2017390']
I do covers and originals.

I couldn't give a stuff who wrote the tunes. They're either good or they're not.
[/quote]
This is it.

I like playing music and I like a good song - I don't care who wrote it.

So-called covers bands can be good or bad and so-called originals bands can be good or very often worse than bad - and usually not very original either.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1363801523' post='2017913']
It still depends on whether or not you're having fun... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IZvpHwoQfqk"]https://www.youtube....d&v=IZvpHwoQfqk[/url]
[/quote]

Good grief! I want to be a Country Sisters groupie! :gas:

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1363802131' post='2017928']
Why? Unless you're miming of course!

We don't pretend to be writers, just musicians.
[/quote]
This is interesting, is there are scale of these sorts of issues in our minds? Is miming covers the same as miming originals? Is miming a bad thing if circumstances demand it? Is [miming covers > playing highly complex originals without backing tracks] a scale?

Seems miming is viewed as appalling, disgraceful, cheating. Why, since we are entertainers, is miming your own originals seen as dread (you played on the recordings and wrote the song, right?), when playing live cover material is perfectly fine? Why are we caught up in this musical worthiness trip? Is there a divide between the writers and players?

I suspect from reading this thread that there's not much interest in new original material anyway, certainly that seems to be the case when looking in the recording thread, and the show us your vid threads.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1363801523' post='2017913']
It still depends on whether or not you're having fun ...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IZvpHwoQfqk"]https://www.youtube....d&v=IZvpHwoQfqk[/url]
[/quote]

Bloody hell!, they could play Mustang Sally, over and over again at a gig, who would notice, or even care lol

I really liked the 80s and now I get to play great songs from that era with my friends.

Well that's one band, other cover bands I've been in don't necessarily play everything I really like, but I do get to play live.

[quote name='bridge' timestamp='1363802797' post='2017943']
Bloody hell!, they could play Mustang Sally, over and over again at a gig, who would notice, or even care lol
[/quote]

I circumvented the whole dreadful 'covers or not' issue by watching it with the sound off...still good... :)