Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

I Spent over twenty years doing originals, always hoping to 'make it'. Sort of did a bit, got to do some amazing things, play some amazing places, lucky old me. But it was always a battle, always that product to create, package, push and market. Always that hoping people come, and even when doing HUGE venues, with albums on sale globally, very little money. (Not that I cared!) Amazing times, I've stories and stories and wouldn't change a moment. But....

Two years ago a funny joke at an open mic night somehow turned into a cover band with me 'singing' and playing guitar doing original versions of pop songs (Gina G, Madonna etc) and I've hardly had a weekend off since, I still get to create and rearrange the songs, people know them and go crazy, we get payed, We get rebooked, I get to feel like a rock star for much less work/hassle, it's MUCH more fun and less pressure, plus no ones getting all primadona over their music.

I wouldn't go back to originals now, I've walked that journey and done better than most, not as well as many. Had my fun, dreamed the dreams, lived the dreams, felt the pain. I'm too old now to really spare the time to push a product or feel likely to have another shot.
So I'm grateful to still be playing to appreciative crowds, only now for money and I don't have to beg mates to come anymore like the early days, we have fans and just entertain whoever happens to be there. Good times, while it lasts. :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1363944951' post='2019803']
Things may well change in the future. As technology becomes cheaper and with traditional pub venues closing all over the place could we see a time where bands play from a room which has cameras installed and the sound is streamed live to pay per view type audiences sat at home watching it on their computers? Without that audience interraction it wouldn't be the sort of gig I'd find much fun to play personally but it would change the whole dynamic of bands going 'out there' to play live. Bedroom players forming bedroom bands and playing bedroom gigs to millions of bedroom fans. All a bit weird but it could happen one day.
[/quote]

I've already done this. In my last band, the guitarist was well into Second Life (virtual reality open-ended role-playing net world type thingie if you've not heard of it). He set us up with few gigs "in" Second Life. The sound was streamed live from the singer's lounge, where we all were, so it was rather like playing a gig on the radio. People in Second Life could "go to" the virtual venue and listen to the music while watching our avatars perform some unrealistic jerky movements more or less in time with the music. We got feedback in the form of online messages. All a bit odd, really.

I play in a covers band for the same reason I play in an originals band too. Like everything in my life I do it because I want to and enjoy it and it doesn't negatively impact on anyone else. Covers bands can be great fun for players and punters alike. Originals bands can be really rewarding if you have the enrgy, time and inclination. I was actually very reluctant to join an originals project initially as I think a lot of the snobbery Ive seen on this forum over the years from [u]some[/u] originals only players to be laughably embarassing.

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1364159516' post='2022752']
Just admit it guys, if we get right to the bottom of it, it's simply down to lack of imagination. Amirite?! Huh?! :P
[/quote]

Cannot agree. I have a busy life where my imagination is in full throttle monday to friday. At The weekends I rock out in a covers band and its a welcome release and helps me recharge for the following week.

Sheesh! Nothing wrong with covers. Used to love playing originals, however my composition skills always ended up being subconscious plagiarism. Alway better at adding to other peoples rather than making up my own.

Things change, now its trying to find the time between work, kids and studying as well as fitting in the band, not quite easy. I have a great respect for original bands, not too many of them down my way though.

Just admit it guys, if we get right to the bottom of it, it's simply down to lack of imagination. Amirite?! Huh?! :P
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:..or to turn it around... quite a few original bands I know can't play anything but what they make up...so even if the imagination is good, the technical facilty ma\y not upto it... but......
who would know..??? :lol:

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1364224884' post='2023411']
Cannot agree. I have a busy life where my imagination is in full throttle monday to friday. At The weekends I rock out in a covers band and its a welcome release and helps me recharge for the following week.
[/quote]

I do just the opposite. My current main paying job is in a creative environment, but I take a purely technical role, which leaves all my creativity/imagination free for my originals band.

Because no matter how exciting the job that pays most of my money is, for me playing my own music is infinitely more satisfying.

Edited by BigRedX

Covers, I have decided, can be a soul destroying exercise.

I thought I'd give it a go this week. Turn up for an 'audition', only got asked to learn two songs, not difficult. AND GUESS WHAT?!!? That's right, I was the only one who'd learnt them. Don't why I waste my freakin' time!!!

AND, the supposed originals band I joined are mutating into a covers band. BUT, a lazy covers band where you guess what the chord progression is, because you can't be bothered to learn the songs, maybe sing 2 of the 4 verses, chuck in a chorus, if you remember, and then spend most of the 10mins you're playing the song to allow the guitarist to use it as an excuse to fret w***. And the songs they choose, how dull!!!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1364230791' post='2023546']

I thought I'd give it a go this week. Turn up for an 'audition', only got asked to learn two songs, not difficult. AND GUESS WHAT?!!? That's right, I was the only one who'd learnt them. Don't why I waste my freakin' time!!!
[/quote]

I've actually turned up to an audition for an originals band and have had to show them how to play one of their own songs ! True
The said they didnt know it cos they dont play it live :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1364230791' post='2023546']

AND, the supposed originals band I joined are mutating into a covers band. BUT, a lazy covers band where you guess what the chord progression is, because you can't be bothered to learn the songs, maybe sing 2 of the 4 verses, chuck in a chorus, if you remember, and then spend most of the 10mins you're playing the song to allow the guitarist to use it as an excuse to fret w***. And the songs they choose, how dull!!!
[/quote]
If you're playing with a band full of muppets, it doesn't matter if they're play covers or original material...!

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1364231059' post='2023553']
I've actually turned up to an audition for an originals band and have had to show them how to play one of their own songs ! True
The said they didnt know it cos they dont play it live :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

That's priceless :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1364231610' post='2023562']
If you're playing with a band full of muppets, it doesn't matter if they're play covers or original material...!
[/quote]

I can only speak from experience, but I've never had a good time with covers. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that you don't have to put the work in, that it's easy, it doesn't matter if you don't even attempt to learn the songs etc etc. Very much a "that'll do" attitude, one I can't abide.

My experience in originals has been very different. The people I've worked with care about what they're doing, put time in making sure that the songs they write and perform are done to the best of their ability.

That's just my experience though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364229780' post='2023517']
I do just the opposite. My current main paying job is in a creative environment, but I take a purely technical role, which leaves all my creativity/imagination free for my originals band.

Because no matter how exciting the job that pays most of my money is, for me playing my own music is infinitely more satisfying.
[/quote]
I have been in both original and cover bands down through the years and have found both to be both satisfying but in different ways and for different reasons. Right now playing covers gives me the best opportunity for regular weekend gigs and gigging regularly is what satisfies me most.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1364232185' post='2023573']
I can only speak from experience, but I've never had a good time with covers. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that you don't have to put the work in, that it's easy, it doesn't matter if you don't even attempt to learn the songs etc etc. Very much a "that'll do" attitude, one I can't abide.
[/quote]

I've found that too. I had a guitarist guy who wanted me to go do some cover sets with him (on double bass) and it turned out a lot of what he was playing was 'good enough' approximations of what he thought the songs sounded like. From the cover bands I've seen I think a lot of them operate on that basis.

I'm in one because they were the only band that needed a bass player at the time. The fact that they meet what I've wanted in a band (horns and a dancing crowd) are a fantastic bonus. Getting paid's delightful and the crowds are much better in my opinion.

I still want an originals project, but I've had difficulties setting one up as people down my way aren't after the same kind of project that I am. My only options down here are either southern rock, metal or folk. Neither of which I'd like to do. Should that change though and I get the right guys involved, then I'd be made up :-)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363777903' post='2017335']
I'm interested in why so many players on here seem to be in covers bands. Is it because you enjoy it more than originals? Can find a good enough originals band? Doing it for the money? The challenge of having to be so versatile? You are in both originals and covers - why? The crowds are better than originals?

Not meant in any way to be inflammatory, but I can't ever imagine wanting to be in a covers band. We do a few covers in a couple of bands, but they are vastly different to the originals, apart from Walking on the Moon which we did for fun once, and it wasn't that much fun anyway :)

Another thing I find hard to understand is covers bands who chuck in a few originals into the set. What does that achieve?
[/quote]A good friend, who is an amazing drummer was hounding my for over 2 years to get a covers band together. One day I gave in and agreed to play with them. After an hour of rehearsals, I was seriously thinking about pretending to have had a fall when going to the loo at the rehearsal space and saying I had sprained my wrist.

[/quote]

This is so true, if your attitude sucks the devils anus then it does not matter what type of stuff you play it will be sh*te anyway.

Bottom line is " you can't polish a turd "

Edited by swanbrook

[/quote]
Yep, that's right, although if they are muppets the cover songs are likely to be much better material than the so-called originals.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1364238490' post='2023701']
I've found that too. I had a guitarist guy who wanted me to go do some cover sets with him (on double bass) and it turned out a lot of what he was playing was 'good enough' approximations of what he thought the songs sounded like. From the cover bands I've seen I think a lot of them operate on that basis.
[/quote]

There are some very good cover bands in my area which means only the best survive and 'good enough' will not cut it. That requires regular rehearsals, taking on technically difficult tunes and performing them properly.

[/quote]

Nonsense. If that was true, I'd have a Fender.

I like playing in a covers band, because

a) It's much easier to get regular work.
b ) The crowd react better to songs they know.
c) Some of the original stuff I've been given to play before has just been stark bilge.
d) I'm not out to be discovered anymore and I've had my share of pushing water uphill.
e) That final run of 4 solid gold sure fire crowd pleasers works far better for me than the bemused looks of punters.

No disrespect to ANY originals band. Good luck to them all.
They could be the somgs we're covering in years to come.
Unless Simon Cowell has his way and all we ever hear is the recycled formula slush that he owns.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1364238490' post='2023701']
[/quote]

'a lot' might be overstating it, I think only the minority of proper gigging covers bands fall into this category. I'm sure like me that you do wince when you hear them..

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1364236845' post='2023673']
I have been in both original and cover bands down through the years and have found both to be both satisfying but in different ways and for different reasons. Right now playing covers gives me the best opportunity for regular weekend gigs and gigging regularly is what satisfies me most.
[/quote]

And again where my situation is exactly the opposite. My covers band struggles to do more than a handful of gigs a year whereas my originals band could be playing at least once a week if we took every gig that we are offered. As I keep saying, paying gigs for originals bands are out there in good numbers provided that your band is entertaining and you are prepared to put in the leg-work to get them.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364296007' post='2024392']
And again where my situation is exactly the opposite. My covers band struggles to do more than a handful of gigs a year whereas my originals band could be playing at least once a week if we took every gig that we are offered. As I keep saying, paying gigs for originals bands are out there in good numbers provided that your band is entertaining and you are prepared to put in the leg-work to get them.
[/quote]
Paying gigs for original bands may be available in your area but they certainly are not available in mine. Around here if you want regular paying gigs then covers is the way to go.