Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

I'm interested in why so many players on here seem to be in covers bands. Is it because you enjoy it more than originals? Can find a good enough originals band? Doing it for the money? The challenge of having to be so versatile? You are in both originals and covers - why? The crowds are better than originals?

Not meant in any way to be inflammatory, but I can't ever imagine wanting to be in a covers band. We do a few covers in a couple of bands, but they are vastly different to the originals, apart from Walking on the Moon which we did for fun once, and it wasn't that much fun anyway :)

Another thing I find hard to understand is covers bands who chuck in a few originals into the set. What does that achieve?

For me, I'm still very much learning my trade as a bassist, and with an eclectic taste in music I enjoy re-creating tracks I have known and loved and learning songs which have passed me by.

I have complete respect for you guys in originals bands, however, at this stage in my life as a bassist the safety of being able to have a song to work from (albeit putting my own stamp on it) gives me the confidence to play that I wouldn't have at this moment in time if I constantly needed to develop my own basslines.

Don't get me wrong, I noodle and create my own basslines all the time, but that is in my own home, I wouldn't have the metaphorical balls to play them in front of other people..... Yet!

Interesting that this appeared just after I put an ad up for some guitarists for my now forming cover band.

For me... it's a way of getting off of the ground quick and sorting out the timewasters earlier :)

If we can get 2 / 3 hours of material sorted then we'll be able to decide after if we want to start doing originals or carry on with the covers thing. For me, the enjoyment comes from gigging. Something that I never get enough of :(

Pub gigs we do mostly covers to draw out the crowds, but always throw in some originals just to get them out there. Plus it's a lot easier to make up a few sets worth of covers than write 2 sets worth of original stuff. Anything bigger than pubs, especially when it's time limited (30-45mins usually) it's all originals with a cover or two thrown in for a bit of fun.

A friends band used to do the same thing, and then they branched off into 2 seperate bands, one for the pub covers gigs (Where they still throw in an original or two) and another for anything bigger which is almost exclusively originals. People go out and see both as they know it's the same guys and they're going to get a good night, whichever name they're gigging under.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I'm in a covers band simply because I've never been in a band that covers different styles & think it's a good move to develop myself as a bass player, not looking to do gigs as such, I'm seeing this as a new way to improve my playing.

As I said on a different thread, I'd love to be in a new originals band but have not come across one that would tempt me back.

I like the idea of playing a distillation of the past 50 years' worth of music, to try and select the best of the best and play them to people who know and appreciate it.

Originals stuff is, for me, too hit and miss - most of what I have heard I don't like. There aren't too many gifted song writers out there.

Because a singer / guitarist I have a lot of time for asked me to be and I enjoyed it - still do.

And because by the time I joned - 12 years ago - I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm a craftsman moe than an artist.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1363778272' post='2017345']
Have you never listened to a song and wished you were there playing it?

My old band used to do loads of Elbow, My Morning Jacket and M83; no-one knew the songs but we were up there playing awesome music.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yeah sort of, when I was young, but aft a few years I grew into wanting to make other people feel that way by playing great original music if that makes sense. I guess it comes down to me needing to be creative, rather than just playing an instrument well. The creative side is the real pleasure for me. And I honsestly can't imagine being in a covers band replicating other people's music. I get lots of kicks learning other composers' music but that's because I learn from it and I can steal stuff from it, I wouldn't want to do it on stage though.

Its a great hobby to have. Started in original material bands, after years of slog realised I was never gonna get the success I wanted. Stopped playing a while then asked to join a covers band. Tried it and loved it. Have no delusions over where it might lead but play to some amazing crowds, absolutely love it and even make a few quid to reinvest in new gear of course! Andy

Interesting.

I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that these days it's impossible to make your own music heard.

Covers are a good way of bypassing the years of struggle and getting a decent audience and adoration relatively instantly.

Nothing more soul destroying than performing your own music to barstaff :(

Truckstop

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1363778830' post='2017359']
I like the idea of playing a distillation of the past 50 years' worth of music, to try and select the best of the best and play them to people who know and appreciate it.

Originals stuff is, for me, too hit and miss - most of what I have heard I don't like. There aren't too many gifted song writers out there.
[/quote]

Fair comment. But in defence of the originals acts, I have to say there are some great bands we've played with over the last few years, some of whom are doing well.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1363779117' post='2017370']
Interesting.

I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that these days it's impossible to make your own music heard.

Covers are a good way of bypassing the years of struggle and getting a decent audience and adoration relatively instantly.

Nothing more soul destroying than performing your own music to barstaff :(

Truckstop
[/quote]

I disagree, you can get your music heard if you work hard at it.

I'd never done it until about 12 months ago - had always played original music. One of my regular clients in my splitter van was a function band and they asked me to do a couple of dep gigs on lead guitar, then to join the band.

It's actually massively improved my musicianship as I'm learning and playing things I never would have before, and the gigs are enjoyable as the band are such nice guys to be around that it's a pleasure to do.

The end result has been that between the function band, my splitter van and some other odd jobs, I've been able to take a redundancy package from my increasingly depressing day job and I now make my living entirely from music. I've got slightly less free cash (but surprisingly not [i]that[/i] much less, so far) but get to spend a lot more time with my young son, and I'm a lot happier for it all round.

I'm still writing and recording original music and will be throwing a new band together soon to play it, but I also get to play music to appreciative audiences with good people whose company I enjoy, and improve, learn and grow as a musician while I'm doing it.

I appreciate that it's not for everyone, but it's working for me right now!

Edited by mike257

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1363779257' post='2017375']
I'd never done it until about 12 months ago - had always played original music. One of my regular clients in my splitter van was a function band and they asked me to do a couple of dep gigs on lead guitar, then to join the band.

It's actually massively improved my musicianship as I'm learning and playing things I never would have before, and the gigs are enjoyable as the band are such nice guys to be around that it's a pleasure to do.

The end result has been that between the function band, my splitter van and some other odd jobs, I've been able to take a redundancy package from my increasingly depressing day job and I now make my living entirely from music. I've got slightly less free cash (but surprisingly not [i]that[/i] much less, so far) but get to spend a lot more time with my young son, and I'm a lot happier for it all round.

I'm still writing and recording original music and will be throwing a new band together soon to play it, but I also get to play music to appreciative audiences with good people whose company I enjoy, and improve, learn and grow as a musician while I'm doing it.

I appreciate that it's not for everyone, but it's working for me right now!
[/quote]

There's a story full of hope :) Great stuff mate!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363779139' post='2017371']
Fair comment. But in defence of the originals acts, I have to say there are [u]some[/u] great bands we've played with over the last few years, [u]some[/u] of whom are doing well.
[/quote]

Some. That's the thing, really. In a majorly mixed metaphor, the cream will always rise to the top but you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1363779419' post='2017378']
Some. That's the thing, really. In a majorly mixed metaphor, the cream will always rise to the top but you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.
[/quote]
That applies to all aspects of life :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1363779117' post='2017370']Covers are a good way of bypassing the years of struggle and getting a decent audience and adoration relatively instantly. Nothing more soul destroying than performing your own music to barstaff :([/quote]

Call me defeatist or lazy if you like, but I totally agree with this. You can hit the ground running with a covers band as everyone can learn the material at home and then a few rehearsals and off you go. The infrastructure is already there as there are far more venues to play when to do covers. Audiences know what to expect, so are more easily entertained.

On the other side of the coin, the feeling you get from playing an original tune that goes down well is awesome.

Horses for courses. It is possible to do and enjoy both. For some people!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363779613' post='2017384']
Call me defeatist or lazy if you like, but I totally agree with this. You can hit the ground running with a covers band as everyone can learn the material at home and then a few rehearsals and off you go. The infrastructure is already there as there are far more venues to play when to do covers. Audiences know what to expect, so are more easily entertained.

[/quote]

You Whoreclown Entertainer, you! :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363779255' post='2017374']
I disagree, you can get your music heard if you work hard at it.
[/quote]

That's the key though, isn't it? Cover bands often allow you to bypass all that hard work. Which works for a lot of hobby players as their job takes up a lot of their time. I speak from experience on that one! :(

when I started off trying to get back into bands about 5 years ago I felt that a lot of original bands were too precious about their material. I had one " artist" stop playing halfway through an audition becaue I had the audacity to play a note beyond the 12th fret. Perversely covers bands give me more freedoom to play - :)