Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1363786258' post='2017563']
Why a covers band?

Well for me, I just want to play bass and to play to people who are geniunely interested in listening to and enjoying what you are playing...and if that means I'm playing to boozed up punters rocking away to Led Zep covers or to those throwing wildly drunken shapes on the dancefloor to Stevie Wonder tunes, then so be it.

I can only speak of my own experiences, but with my last two bands being guys mid-to-late 30's, getting an original material band on the road in Central Scotland was proving more frustrating and morale-busting than it was a rewarding experience. So much so, that I now personally no longer have the commitment, drive or enthusiasm to come up with original music. A number of things done it for me...

When the punters blatantly aren't remotely interested in the band playing on the stage...

When punters would rather come in for the advertised "after the bands" DJ, rather than actually come and listen to a night of good, original bands and material...

When you're trying to start up and venues are expecting you to sell at least 25-30 tickets before they'll even consider putting you on, so you're chasing the same people to come to practically ever other gig...

When "promoters" don't bother their ass doing what their role name kinda suggests they should do and you get looked upon in disgust when you turn up with a crowd that would struggle to fill a decent to mid-sized people carrier...

When the fans of the other bands on the bill f*ck off after their set (or even your own fans) and don't have the common courtesy to stick around...or even worse...routinely, members of your own band...

When you're asked to turn up at 6pm or earlier to soundcheck, with the promise of a 45 minute set at 9pm, only to find out you've only got a 25 minute set at 11.00pm once the aforementioned pounters have all f*cked off...

Promises of "free beer" mysteriously fail to be kept...

Likewise, payment from the door, even if it is only a few bucks...

I could go on...

That said, probably most telling of all these days for me, at 39 years old, with a 9-5 decent job and a family to support...whilst by no manner of means over the hill, I have absolutely no interest in even having an attempt at "making it" so to speak, and when the other guys in the band have completely polar opposite aspirations, it's only fair to move on and let them have their shot at glory...

Don't get me wrong, although it comes across in this post, I'm not at all bitter (well, not now I'm out of it) and I do genuinely prefer the reaction and response you get from playing covers, particulary when you put your own spin and rework something your own unique way as a band.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth...
[/quote]

Sounds bloody depressing my friend.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363777903' post='2017335']
I'm interested in why so many players on here seem to be in covers bands. Is it because you enjoy it more than originals? Can find a good enough originals band? Doing it for the money? The challenge of having to be so versatile? You are in both originals and covers - why? The crowds are better than originals?

Not meant in any way to be inflammatory, but I can't ever imagine wanting to be in a covers band. We do a few covers in a couple of bands, but they are vastly different to the originals, apart from Walking on the Moon which we did for fun once, and it wasn't that much fun anyway :)

Another thing I find hard to understand is covers bands who chuck in a few originals into the set. What does that achieve?
[/quote]

Im with you on this one dude, the very thought of playing covers makes me feel like i have a pube stuck in the back of my throat. I have played all original material over the rock/metal circuits for the best part of 15 years now. Yes its a slog to get heard but im my opinion, i love writing tunes as a band and wanting people to hear them, and if even 1 person gets to hear us rock out and loves it, then its worth it.
That 1 person that loves it can lead you to playing infront of thousands! My old band played a crappy gig in Coventry in front of the 1 drunk local and 1 guy who just came in for a beer and the 1 guy that popped in bought a CD and from that we ended up playing at the Bloodstock Festival a few years ago because of the people he knew. i dont think the drunk guy liked us! lol.

i do get why people play covers and thats fine, its just i started playing as i wanted to be in a baddass rock band and to have people singing our songs and rocking out with us and to make and sell records. For me, it just doesnt get better than that! i love it.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1363786889' post='2017574']
Im with you on this one dude, the very thought of playing covers makes me feel like i have a pube stuck in the back of my throat. I have played all original material over the rock/metal circuits for the best part of 15 years now. Yes its a slog to get heard but im my opinion, i love writing tunes as a band and wanting people to hear them, and if even 1 person gets to hear us rock out and loves it, then its worth it.
That 1 person that loves it can lead you to playing infront of thousands! My old band played a crappy gig in Coventry in front of the 1 drunk local and 1 guy who just came in for a beer and the 1 guy that popped in bought a CD and from that we ended up playing at the Bloodstock Festival a few years ago because of the people he knew. i dont think the drunk guy liked us! lol.

i do get why people play covers and thats fine, [b]its just i started playing as i wanted to be in a baddass rock band and to have people singing our songs and rocking out with us and to make and sell records. For me, it just doesnt get better than that! i love it.[/b]
[/quote]

That's it! That's the thing!

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1363786258' post='2017563']
Why a covers band?

Well for me, I just want to play bass and to play to people who are geniunely interested in listening to and enjoying what you are playing...and if that means I'm playing to boozed up punters rocking away to Led Zep covers or to those throwing wildly drunken shapes on the dancefloor to Stevie Wonder tunes, then so be it.

I can only speak of my own experiences, but with my last two bands being guys mid-to-late 30's, getting an original material band on the road in Central Scotland was proving more frustrating and morale-busting than it was a rewarding experience. So much so, that I now personally no longer have the commitment, drive or enthusiasm to come up with original music. A number of things done it for me...

When the punters blatantly aren't remotely interested in the band playing on the stage...

When punters would rather come in for the advertised "after the bands" DJ, rather than actually come and listen to a night of good, original bands and material...

When you're trying to start up and venues are expecting you to sell at least 25-30 tickets before they'll even consider putting you on, so you're chasing the same people to come to practically ever other gig...

When "promoters" don't bother their ass doing what their role name kinda suggests they should do and you get looked upon in disgust when you turn up with a crowd that would struggle to fill a decent to mid-sized people carrier...

When the fans of the other bands on the bill f*ck off after their set (or even your own fans) and don't have the common courtesy to stick around...or even worse...routinely, members of your own band...

When you're asked to turn up at 6pm or earlier to soundcheck, with the promise of a 45 minute set at 9pm, only to find out you've only got a 25 minute set at 11.00pm once the aforementioned pounters have all f*cked off...

Promises of "free beer" mysteriously fail to be kept...

Likewise, payment from the door, even if it is only a few bucks...

I could go on...

That said, probably most telling of all these days for me, at 39 years old, with a 9-5 decent job and a family to support...whilst by no manner of means over the hill, I have absolutely no interest in even having an attempt at "making it" so to speak, and when the other guys in the band have completely polar opposite aspirations, it's only fair to move on and let them have their shot at glory...

Don't get me wrong, although it comes across in this post, I'm not at all bitter (well, not now I'm out of it) and I do genuinely prefer the reaction and response you get from playing covers, particulary when you put your own spin and rework something your own unique way as a band.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth...
[/quote]

I think your reasoning is sound.

Given your experiences , and your er... chronology based life committments (!) you could easily have thought ' f*** this' and packed in - instead you got off your arse and found a different way to enjoy playing. Good on you . chief.

I've played in three or four covers bands, and three originals bands, one of which I am still part of.

The reason I've been in any band is because I enjoy it. Getting together and making something that is more than the sum of their parts is fun. if you can stand up on a stage and people are entertained by it, even better ;-)

Playing in an originals band takes things several steps further. I love the process of working the song from initial idea to polished article, especially when someone comes up with a curveball idea which works instantly and beautifully. In many cases, I've had a huge input into how the song has turned out, and that's when it becomes more than fun, it is exhilarating and exciting to think that you have created something great from scratch.

The covers bands have never had issues getting gigs. The originals bands required a bit more effort, but never an issue.

Edit, just realised I didn't answer the question. Why was in covers bands? I was asked, was not doing anything else at the time, and liked the songs proposed.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363786657' post='2017570']
Sounds bloody depressing my friend.
[/quote]

It was.

I'm guessing your scene down in London will be considerably different to my experiences up in Glasgow with you having far greater number of venues to play, but we found ourselves playing pretty much the same venues time and again, in both bands, pretty much due to it being the simplest way to get out and about and get gigs.

And whilst I can completely agree with the punter who mentioned about creating a scene, that's easier said than done, farting against thunder in most towns I bet.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363784646' post='2017524']
This is not a negative thread is it? If there is any negativity it's been directed at the originals bands.
[/quote]

No. This particular thread is not negative [i]per se[/i]... but since joining this site I have read many posts/threads that [b]have[/b] been negative towards the entire concept of cover bands. And as for tribute bands.... :o :D

I am not a member of many musicians' forums, but the few that I am a member of do not feature the same level of anti-covers ranting that I have read here. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion - but it is shallow and pathetic to judge somebody's motivations based on their choices.

There are many types of musician and many types of music fan. It is impossible to please all of them all of the time. I genuinely believe that (at an amateur or semi-pro level) cover bands (in general) please more of the people more of the time.

I don't get why some people seem to have a problem with that? :blink:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363787431' post='2017584']
I think your reasoning is sound.

Given your experiences , and your er... chronology based life committments (!) you could easily have thought ' f*** this' and packed in - instead you got off your arse and found a different way to enjoy playing. Good on you . chief.
[/quote]

Believe me, it was considered, and the prospect of an immediate return of approx £2k if I flogged my gear was extremely tempting...but...instead...having been completely self-taught over nearly two decades with a theory level of approx 0%, I instead looked upon the free time away from band distractons as being the prime opportunity and took the decision to enrole for lessons...haha, so all in all, it actually served as a wee wake up call in a some kind of strange way...!!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1363787982' post='2017595']Getting together and making something that is more than the sum of their parts is fun. if you can stand up on a stage and people are entertained by it, even better ;-)

I love the process of working the song from initial idea to polished article. In many cases, I've had a huge input into how the song has turned out, and that's when it becomes more than fun, it is exhilarating and exciting to think that you have created something great from scratch.[/quote]

Totally agree! But that makes it even more frustrating when you struggle to find/create an audience that appreciates it!

And yes, before the usual crowd jump up and crow "there are audiences there waiting if you put in the graft..." that is not my experience, at least not in the short term. Building up a fan base as an original band is very hard work, especially when all the band members work full-time. It's not impossible, of course, but it is just another potential hurdle in the way of enjoying playing live with an original band.

I'm not complaining, BTW, just stating it as I see it. :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363782044' post='2017447']
Hoorah! Another :) Me, you and Clarky, all three of us nearly 50, in great originals bands and loving it.
There has got to be hope in here somewhere!
[/quote]

You kids can count me in, too. I'm having lots of fun in my new band and looking forward to seeing where it goes.
...If anywhere! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363788705' post='2017618']I'm having lots of fun in my new band! :)[/quote]

It's good stuff Hilts!!! Had a listen to your youtube link yesterday and I really like the sound of your band. Some tasty bass playing too! Reminded me a bit of this guy...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVG2p6JPPQ[/media]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363788899' post='2017623']
Had a listen to your youtube link yesterday and I really like the sound of your band.
Some tasty bass playing too! Reminded me a bit of this guy...
[/quote]

Jesus Christ, it's HIM!! You are taking the piss, I trust!!? :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363788530' post='2017612']

Totally agree! But that makes it even more frustrating when you struggle to find/create an audience that appreciates it!

And yes, before the usual crowd jump up and crow "there are audiences there waiting if you put in the graft..." that is not my experience, at least not in the short term. Building up a fan base as an original band is very hard work, especially when all the band members work full-time. It's not impossible, of course, but it is just another potential hurdle in the way of enjoying playing live with an original band.

I'm not complaining, BTW, just stating it as I see it. :)
[/quote]

I think we're quite lucky in that we've built up enough so that we can play locally and it's not embarrassingly empty. The big test will be our gig in April in Bromsgrove, where we are the only act. It's a fairly paid gig by an enthusiastic landlord, so I'm really hoping for a good turnout!

Most of the original bands here on the Island seem to made up of students from the local Music College .
Seeing that I am probably twice their age , I doubt if any of these cool hip bands want Grandpa on the bass.

I did one original gig at this years Isle of Wight festival ( small stage gig ) with a great singer/ songwriter/ guitarist , but all my friends and musical colleagues are in cover bands , so most of my gigging is in pub rock / blues bands .

Like WoT , if the music's good , then any gig is a pleasure .

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363789071' post='2017632']
Not entirely.... I did enjoy your playing! But don't you recognise him? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Yes, it's bloody Lidl isn't it, or whatever his name is - that bloke who thinks music is 'entertainment', not 'art'..?? :lol:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363786200' post='2017562']
Mmm, for me I want all that but with original music. It's the thrill of people loving what you've written that really gets me. Plus, in a cover band you never have any product to sell, no need to record anything. That's a huge part of the pleasure for me too. The joy of selling a record is a delight, knowing people listen to it in the privacy of their own home, or headphones, or playing it to their mates.
[/quote]

Sadly, in my experiece, no bugger does. But like I said originally, I'm in Leicester. It's not exactly New York City.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363781372' post='2017430']
Where's the cover material going to come from in ten years?
[/quote]

Same place it came from in the previous ten years. It just probably won't come from any of the bands that people who post on here are in.

Covers bands are hard work. Learning all those songs, most of which I wouldn't normally give time of day to on my iPod.

I'm trying my best to stay away from an out and out covers bands. The bands I'm in at the moment may do a few covers but it's original material first and foremost.

I want to be in an originals band because I want to make people feel they way I've felt at the best gigs I've been to, and all of those have been to see originals bands.

Thing is when people hit their mid 30's they seem to think that's it, life is over, I can't write any more, I'm confined to covers. Trying to find people to do original material is incredibly difficult, which may explain why I'm in a band with a guitarist who's 23 :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1363790234' post='2017668']
Covers bands are hard work. Learning all those songs, most of which I wouldn't normally give time of day to on my iPod.
[/quote]

I'm lucky in that I really like the covers I play. Life's too short to play stuff you don't like.