Why become a member? ×

Decal or No

Guest MoJo

I play in a classic rock covers band and recently bought a Phil Lynott look-a-likey SX P-bass. It's a great looker, great player and now with a set of DiMarzio pups in should sound as a good P bass should (I'll find out at rehearsal tonight). I know this is going to divide opinion, but I want to put a 70's Fender Precision Bass decal on to give it a more authentic look (the SX decals aren't doing it for me). Part of me is feeling that I'm a bit picky worrying about the decal on the headstock as part of 'the look'. What does everyone else think? Has anyone else done this?

a halfway solution is to get a custom 70's precision one made that perhaps says "Fonder Precision Bass" in the same font from [url="http://shop.rothkoandfrost.co.uk/guitar-headstock-waterslide-decals-s/204.htm"]http://shop.rothkoandfrost.co.uk/guitar-headstock-waterslide-decals-s/204.htm[/url] you's need to be up really close to see it's no a fender :-)

Why not go onto Talkbass and ask over there. They will keep you right! :D

I`ve done the same myself as have a good few others on here. The only problem with doing it is if somebody further down the line, tries to pass it off as a genuine Fender.

But it`s your bass and if it makes you like the bass more, go for it.

As long as the headstock shape is same as a real P bass then for "looks" why not.

I had a P bass copy and fitted a Fender decal and it really looked the biz, exactly like my real P bass decal. I never tried to fool anyone it was the real deal if they asked me though.

Go for it.

I did this once to a Squier and I went down the amusing "almost real" route (Fecker Imprecision Bass in the late 70s style) rather than try and pass it off as a Fender. I'm not comfortable with that. I'm not suggesting that you would try to pull the wool over someone's eyes if you were to sell it, but there's nothing to stop the person you sell it to from trying to hoodwink someone into thinking that it's a genuine Fender.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362663684' post='2002951']
The only person who will give a sh*t is you. Be prepared for the empty feeling inside screaming FAKE! every time you look at it. If you like the bass, be proud of its maker.
[/quote]

very much plus the one.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362669295' post='2003098']
One of the custom logo's with
"Fan of" instead of Fender and PhilLynott instead of Precision.

Hope it's got a mirror scratchplate though, or this is just crazy talk!
[/quote]

I like this idea

Edited by MoJo

I had this ugly bird once so I gave her a shave, made her speak in an Australian accent, closed my eyes and pretended she was Kylie. It worked for a bit and I felt all like Jason Donovan for a while, but it didn't last.

Turns out, the only person I was kidding was myself.

It is an SX Bass. That's what it is. Can't see the benefit of changing it.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1362673515' post='2003202']
I had this ugly bird once so I gave her a shave, made her speak in an Australian accent, closed my eyes and pretended she was Kylie. It worked for a bit and I felt all like Jason Donovan for a while, but it didn't last.

Turns out, the only person I was kidding was myself.

It is an SX Bass. That's what it is. Can't see the benefit of changing it.
[/quote]

Because I think the "Custom Handmade" and "Vintage Series" look cheesy and spoil an otherwise very nice bass

Edited by MoJo

I have no problem with you putting a Fender logo on your bass if that's what you want to do, but if I was nattering to you at a gig I'd think you way cooler if it had a funny logo in the Fender style on your obviously non fender bass.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362663684' post='2002951']
If you like the bass, be proud of its maker.
[/quote]

This really.

I have the opposite problem, I'm making a p/j and have a USA neck with genuine fender decal, I really want to paint the headstock as the body and put my own letters on it after .

But who cares really, if income to see you play, I'm more interested in if your band is good than if your logo is real

Edited by lojo