Why become a member? ×

Decal or No

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1362739391' post='2003980']
This was a large part of my reasoning as well.

Nothing like as professional as Mr Phillips fine bodgery. I only used 1 pen, and I was very pissed when I did it. Also my handwriting is shocking at the best of times. :)

Like this....

[/quote]
But is that a [i]genuine[/i] Dave bass......

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1362741319' post='2004023']
I have a similar problem with the [i]Vintage[/i] brand name.
[/quote]

Ruined ebay searches forever that did.... :(

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1362745722' post='2004110']
But is that a [i]genuine[/i] Dave bass......
[/quote]

No, technically it is a Hondo/wizard/gotoh/ebaynonameneck but that wouldn't fit....
:)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1362682516' post='2003366']
My bass has nothing on the headstock. I get a lot more questions asked about it over the Fender's everyone else are playing. :lol:
[/quote]

As an even simpler solution, my bass has no headstock.

Reminds me of boy racers who stick "turbo " or "gti" badges on their clapped out Vauxhall Nova's .

If it makes you happy , put the decal on , but I would be far more impressed by some-one getting a great sound out of a cheap bass .It would also make me think twice about my own need for expensive instruments .

Edited by martin8708

It just came to me last night, what about owners of replica kit cars? How about the guy who built the Lancia Stratos replica that appeared on Top Gear? Will he be expected to remove all the livery and badges before selling it incase someone, several owners down the line tries to pass it off as a genuine Stratos?

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1363084106' post='2007994']
It just came to me last night, what about owners of replica kit cars? How about the guy who built the Lancia Stratos replica that appeared on Top Gear? Will he be expected to remove all the livery and badges before selling it incase someone, several owners down the line tries to pass it off as a genuine Stratos?
[/quote]

The kind of money that they go for I would expect any prospective buyer to know them inside out & know exactly what they're getting. In the same way that anyone who has the money to pay for an actual Fender would spot the fake logo straight away.

There's a guy near me that's built a kit car Ferrari, it [i]looks[/i] convincing as it goes past - doesn't [i]sound[/i] anything like convincing & up close there's gaps all over the place where the panels join. All in all it seems to be a sad thing to do.

Your idea was just out of fan-dom & not really intended to fool anyone.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1363084611' post='2008004']
...I would expect any prospective buyer to know them inside out & know exactly what they're getting. In the same way that anyone who has the money to pay for an actual Fender would spot the fake logo straight away.
[/quote]

Exactly. Though some decals are extremely accurate. People who know their stuff are going to look at a plethora of other variables as well before making a decision. Anyone who thinks they're buying a Fender just because it says 'Fender' on the headstock is making a mistake!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363085030' post='2008013']
Anyone who thinks they're buying a Fender just because it says 'Fender' on the headstock is making a mistake!
[/quote]

I think the same about basses with 'Warwick' on the headstock... <_<

(runs for cover)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1363084106' post='2007994']
[/quote]

You don't get a log book with basses.

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1363117836' post='2008881']
It's a fake Tokai though - the body is a Fender :D
[/quote]

:lol:
That's my kinda language. Kudos!
Oh, and thanks for the inspiration. I now know exactly what to do should I ever get me a Fender.

best,
bert

IMO I think decals are simply done to deceive. In fact I'd find it embarrassing. Even if I completely admitted its a cheap fender copy when someone asks, I'd still be embarassed as there will be a few people out there who could tell it was a copy who didnt talk to me.

Its the same as walking down the street with a pair of fake Nikes, or a fake jacket. It happens to get the 'big name' for cheaper. Its simply wrong.

This arrived today. Hope the use of the p word doesn't offend lol

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bassman2790/20130315_175555_zps49ab7c9a.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363231632' post='2010250']
People hear with their eyes. Nobody will be impressed that you sound good on a cheap bass. They'll just assume you're an amateur for not having a better instrument. If you like the Fender logo, put it on. Just don't try to sell it as such.
[/quote]

One of the best sounding guitarists I have seen locally plays an cheap Epiphone copy of a Gibson 335 going through a Carlsborough Lead 90 amp ( you could probably pick one of those amps for £25 , or free to a good home ) I thought he had a great sound and the audience certainly enjoyed the gig . I did not notice anyone getting disgruntled by the use of his cheap gear.