Why become a member? ×

Decal or No

Guest MoJo

I put a Fender decal on my beater Brandoni kit Jazz simply to stop idiot punters and halfwit guitards telling me I should get a 'real' Fender.

Not because I was ashamed, oh no, but because I got bored with telling them to cock off and get a 'real' life. The fact that the practice sometimes enrages other bassists is just the big f***ing pink cherry on top of the cake afaic.

OP - do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1362693796' post='2003614']
I put a Fender decal on my beater Brandoni kit Jazz simply to stop idiot punters and halfwit guitards telling me I should get a 'real' Fender.

Not because I was ashamed, oh no, but because I got bored with telling them to cock off and get a 'real' life. The fact that the practice sometimes enrages other bassists is just the big f***ing pink cherry on top of the cake afaic.

OP - do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]
:D

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1362695070' post='2003644']
Have you got the other essential accessories..? :mellow:

[attachment=129339:Phil_Lyno_Sosi.jpg]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1362696164' post='2003673']
Why not upset the [i]Fenderarmy[/i] by buying a Fender and replacing the logo with "swift"
[/quote]

Like it

There are two answers. Both are right.

1)
It's your bass, so do what you want to it.

2)
Why pass a decent enough bass off as something it's not?
Either decal doesn't make it any better (or worse) a bass.
All it does is alter something about the player. If you want a Fender, buy a Fender.
If you pass it on, of course, I'm sure you would remove the fake decal.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1362691904' post='2003572']
That's the one. Its good to know that the sellers claim that they were Fender pick ups is true
[/quote]
It's good to know it ended up with a fellow BassChatter. At least you'll be able to recoup some funds if you decide to sell the Fender pickups. It's a pity I didn't keep the box, as I could have sent it on to you.

That one went in the great 'cull' around May/June last year when I went for all of two months without a single instrument in the house!

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1362697929' post='2003706']
If you pass it on, of course, I'm sure you would remove the fake decal.
[/quote]

Therein lies one of the issues I have with it. If/when it comes time to sell it, do you remove the fake Fender decal or leave it there and describe it honestly in the listing? If the decal is left on, will the next owner do the same when it's his turn to sell it, and so on...

These things do end up making their way into the used market and, sooner or later, somebody buys them thinking that they're getting a real Fender. Check out this thread where a poster chips in about his "genuine 78 Precision" (post 5):

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168836-need-advice-on-fender-jazz-please

This is precisely why I have my reservations about the practice of putting Fender logos on non-Fender instruments. People get hoodwinked - not necessarily by the person who applied the logo. I firmly believe that the only appropriate place for a Fender logo is a Fender, perhaps as part of a renovation/restoration. I don't want to come across all preachy - in an ideal world everything would be above board and full disclosure with every item sold would be the norm. Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world, and it's a simple fact that through either fraudulent greed or unfortunate ignorance these non-Fender instruments will get passed off as the genuine article somewhere down the line and for every knowledgeable expert out there there will be ten people who aren't nutty mad about instruments and their geeky fine details who will get fooled.

This is the world we live in, and seeing as we can't change it dramatically by ourselves we have to best fit our practices and behaviours to the parameters we are presented with. You want to curtail fraud? Stop creating opportunities for fraud.

It is your bass mate, so do what you want, I agree with a lot of the comments on the issue of when it comes to passing your bass on, if you do that is.

Good to hear what stuff your playing as the man and his music is very close to my heart, but if asked what would I do, I must admit I would not put a decal on it, I would save me money and get a black Fender precision and do the mirror scratch plate, now if money is a bit tight have you seen the lizzy bass at the bass centre (part of the bass collection irrc) Very good value for money and the bass looks pretty good to.

Are you ready to rock.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1362693796' post='2003614']
[/quote]

This was a large part of my reasoning as well.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362697996' post='2003707']
Like Mark D Philips did with his "Knopfler" special?
[/quote]

Nothing like as professional as Mr Phillips fine bodgery. I only used 1 pen, and I was very pissed when I did it. Also my handwriting is shocking at the best of times. :)

Like this....

I remember being told to avoid any bit of gear with "Professional" written on it, as it almost certainly wouldn't be. I think the "Custom Handmade" decal on the SX is about the same! It is a bit of a naff decal, which could get on your nerves if you like everything else about the bass.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1362739513' post='2003983']
I remember being told to avoid any bit of gear with "Professional" written on it, as it almost certainly wouldn't be. I think the "Custom Handmade" decal on the SX is about the same! It is a bit of a naff decal, which could get on your nerves if you like everything else about the bass.
[/quote]

I have a similar problem with the [i]Vintage[/i] brand name.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1362741319' post='2004023']
I have a similar problem with the [i]Vintage[/i] brand name.
[/quote]

Ah, me too. Seems utterly naff. Shame as by all accounts they're meant to be nice instruments.

I have two parts built instruments and they both sport blank headstocks. I put a P bass decal on one for a bit, but it felt somewhat disingenuous so I removed it.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362663684' post='2002951']
The only person who will give a sh*t is you. Be prepared for the empty feeling inside screaming FAKE! every time you look at it. If you like the bass, be proud of its maker.
[/quote]

This!

I personally get a kick out of getting a good performance out of a "lesser" bass.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1362741319' post='2004023']I have a similar problem with the [i]Vintage[/i] brand name.[/quote]

Like every damn time you see a Vintage instrument on an Ebay list & think "Wow that's cheap, I wonder how old it is?".
Then you see that's it's a "Vintage" not "vintage"! :angry: