Why become a member? ×

Music Radar's Top 60 Bassist poll

toneknob

...as voted for by the Music Radar readership:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-60-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/1

...with a slightly surprising Number One.

Another day another poll. The interesting stuff in these things is who makes the lower rankings.

[quote name='Fozza' timestamp='1361958279' post='1993506']
No John Deacon either from what I could see.
[/quote]
But it's not real, is it? It's only a list of a certain number of participants' favourites, it's not a technical analyisis. I mean.... Jah Wobble above Berry Oakley...????? Oh, please....

I don't pay the remotest heed to these pathetic things. As far as I'm concerned I'm the best bass player ever, but for some crazy reason I don't make the list.

It was done in association with Orange amps, which may be explains why 59 of the 60 are bass guitarists, but no Ron Carter, Paul Chambers or Dave Holland. Even Danny Thompson gets overlooked.
'Rio' was one of the first things I learned on bass, at the time the story was the whole album was played by session musicians, so I suppose top spot is sweet for JohnTaylor.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361995347' post='1994262']
Top 60 of what?

Most heard of?
[/quote]

That was my first thought too. I guess if we define most polls as "top bassist who happens to play on my favourite song or in my favourite band" then it makes more sense.

Still, in the subjective world of music, who's to say that's not a reasonable definition for 'top bassist' anyway?