Why become a member? ×

Ultimate P Bass?

Ashborygirl

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360609209' post='1973347']
Fender American Vintage series. Either '57ri or 62ri

actually Ive not heard a bad word about the pino signature P
[/quote]
+1, I don't think they can be beat, unless you don't like Fenders of course. '57 for Maple & '62 for rosewood B)

Bad word about Pino's = why do they have to make the bridge so rusty? :angry:

Edited by KiOgon

See, I was going to say value for money the new Nate Mendel model is very good.

The Road Worn 50's, and the Classic 50's too.

I want to try a Pino, they seem to be universally praised.

I may order one as a closet classic/NOS rather than relic/distressed.

As a point, the new 'Pure Vintage' AV stuff looks great, but is heading towards CS money.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360609209' post='1973347']
Fender American Vintage series. Either '57ri or 62ri

actually Ive not heard a bad word about the pino signature P
[/quote]
I've played a couple of Palladino sigs and they are very nice but the bad word is a number and it's the price.

You can pickup a used 62RI for probably less than half the usual new price. As long as you're happy with the 1.75" nut, then it's the one.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360612950' post='1973472']
I've had a few Skylines and liked them all, but I've still never actually played a US Lakland.

I really should do something about that ...
[/quote]

The Skylines are very good , but the U.S - made basses are the real icing in the cake . There isn't a big difference in the final sound coming out of your amp between a Skyline and a U.S Lakland , but the feel and overalll build quality of the American - made basses is worth the extra money , and they can do you whatever size neck you want , 1.75 , 1.625 or 1.5 nut width .

Down a bit on the price list comes the Highway One P-bass, very highly regarded, if you're going for a 2nd hand, worth keeping an eye out for.

The new American Special P I'd like to try, good VFM I reckon.

The American Vintage basses are/were apparently made in the 'Custom Shop' so they do get that bit extra attention to detail.

I've tried some Pino's & as much as I'd like one, can't justify the asking price.

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1360611213' post='1973403']
I've got the nate Mendel fender precision and it's great!
[/quote]

Pictures? :D

As far as P basses go; i like Lakland, they look and sound fantastic and have a mixture of modern and classic features and the Fender Nate Mendel has seemed to be one on everyones list (who also played Lakland basses, ironically)

BSB

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360612602' post='1973461']
The new Xotic XP basses look pretty nice to me , but in my experience the closest you can get to nice vintage Fender but better is the U.S.A Lakland Bob Glaub ( now called 44-64 ) .
[/quote]
They are the two I would go for - not that I've played an Xotic XP, but if they are as good as their jazz bass then they will be stunning!

Not played one, and they are rare (not sure if he makes basses anymore), but my suggestion is a Don Grosh P4:

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/show_item/3341-Grosh-P4-Bass

If it's anything like the Retro Classic (strat style Grosh guitar) my brother picked up recently it'll be amazing

Best P bass ? Well, for me, a P bass is defined by "that" pickup in the mid position between end of fretboard and bridge, so any bass with that is a P !
So, for me, it's a G&L SB2. Astonishing tone and a Jazz neck (so I can actually play the thing), plus an extra pickup for more tonal versatility.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1360655304' post='1973939']
So, for me, it's a G&L SB2. Astonishing tone and a Jazz neck (so I can actually play the thing), plus an extra pickup for more tonal versatility.
[/quote]

+1 for the SB2.

Always overlooked and under rated.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1360658883' post='1973987']
[b]WARNING: NO FENDER CONTENT[/b]

Something like this

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196092-my-first-acg/page__p__1927622__hl__new%20acg__fromsearch__1#entry1927622"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1927622[/url]
[/quote]

I'd say that's stretching it a bit to say that looks like a P - isn't that a J Type? :)

I'd love to try a Pino Sig, and am also drawn towards the Dingwall Super P

If you're going to allow PJ basses into the equation ( but take only the sound of the Precision pickup into account ) then I would have to say that the Yamaha BB2024X takes some beating in the ultimate P Bass sound stakes . The neck pickup on those basses sounds [i]massive [/i], albeit with a character slightly different to a conventional Fender Precision .

I've played a fair few, and I haven't as yet found one to beat my 2009 American Standard. Maybe I got lucky? I think I did.

Super lightweight, dark slab of rosewood, excellent sunburst that looks like a one/max 2 piece body.

The frets are perfect as is the rest of the bass. The tone is perfect.

As yet, I haven't found another P bass to match it, and I've tried hard to get it a maple/roundwound relative.

My money no object dream P bass is the Pino. What makes a P? To me it's got to be passive, single (split p) pickup, p shaped and a big old neck. Others won't agree with me and they are entitled to their opinion, not saying mine is right but for me there's only one way to skin a cat. It depends on budget though, as we know you can get yourself a fantastic P bass for under £500